Where to start

Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to start

I am just starting my research into moving to Canada with my OH and dog. I will be looking for employment, but my OH is retired.
I have started reading about the points system and how to obtain permanent residency, but there are so many abbreviations, it's confusing!
We would be looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom house and have heard that Toronto is expensive. Are most rental properties furnished?

How easy is it to become a permanent resident from the UK, and which areas should we look at?
I would appreciate any constructive advice on where to start, as this is a big decision.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Hollyhock
I have started reading about the points system and how to obtain permanent residency, but there are so many abbreviations, it's confusing!
For the abbreviations, this Wiki article should help. Canadian Abbreviations : British Expat Wiki

With regards to the points system, that's for Express Entry (Permanent Residency) applications. First, you need to be scoring at least 67 as a Federal Skilled Worker on this scoring system - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Then, you need to check and see what you are scoring on the Combined Ranking System - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

What do you get for both of those? You can just assume maximum points for English for now as a native speaker. And what does your husband score? It doesn't matter that he's retired, if he scores higher then he should be the principal applicant (there's no requirement to work once he gets to Canada). Depending on how young he retired, you may find his age severely hampers his scores though, Canada wants young and qualified immigrants really.

We would be looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom house and have heard that Toronto is expensive. Are most rental properties furnished?
Toronto is expensive, yes, as are places like Vancouver. Canada isn't a cheap place to live!

Are most rental properties furnished?
No.

How easy is it to become a permanent resident from the UK, and which areas should we look at?
It's easy if you score enough (see above), if not, then it's not that easy and you'll probably need a job offer and sponsoring employer to get a visa. But start with the above and then you can go from there.

For general lifestyle stuff, please post in the main forums, this immi section is for visa queries really so it's best not to mix the two up. But I wouldn't worry about where to live until you know if you can get Permanent Residency, as if you do need a sponsoring job then you may not get much choice in where to go anyway, so check in to the visa side of things first.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 12th 2018 at 12:00 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Canada isn't a cheap place to live!...
Nor a warm one, mostly, for large parts, especially when one has been used to and/or interested in places like Dominican Republic, Spain, Italy, Turkey and Portugal.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nor a warm one, mostly, for large parts, especially when one has been used to and/or interested in places like Dominican Republic, Spain, Italy, Turkey and Portugal.
Todays forecast rain and cloud in Manchester, London, Vancouver and Toronto and for Winnipeg sunny with a high of -21C no wind chill.

Tomorrows forecast rain in Manchester and Vancouver partly cloudy skies in London and Toronto. Winnipeg sunny with a high of -30C but feels like minus 44C with the wind.

Lets not even talk about summer temperatures and who has the highest humidity but its still probably raining in Vancouver and Manchester
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem. Gentle reminder peeps, we try to keep immi threads on track.....the OP can start a new thread in the main forums if she has any questions about climate/renting/costs etc.

Thank you.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem. Gentle reminder peeps, we try to keep immi threads on track.......
Mine was based on the OP's posting history. She seems to be interested and used to much warmer places.

I thought it might save her some time.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond reputeHollyhock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Mine was based on the OP's posting history. She seems to be interested and used to much warmer places.

I thought it might save her some time.
As I have just returned from living in Europe for over 2 years, where it was unbearably hot, I now have that T-shirt, but thank you for your strange interest in my past searches.
Thank you to the moderator, so far I seem to have received nothing but weather reports!
As it's 4 deg C here in UK and same in Vancouver area, what's not to like???
If anyone has any info on BC, Vancouver and Victoria, please let me know, but not about their weather!
Old Jan 12th 2018, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, and welcome to BE.

For the abbreviations, this Wiki article should help. Canadian Abbreviations : British Expat Wiki

With regards to the points system, that's for Express Entry (Permanent Residency) applications. First, you need to be scoring at least 67 as a Federal Skilled Worker on this scoring system - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

Then, you need to check and see what you are scoring on the Combined Ranking System - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

What do you get for both of those? You can just assume maximum points for English for now as a native speaker. And what does your husband score? It doesn't matter that he's retired, if he scores higher then he should be the principal applicant (there's no requirement to work once he gets to Canada). Depending on how young he retired, you may find his age severely hampers his scores though, Canada wants young and qualified immigrants really.

Toronto is expensive, yes, as are places like Vancouver. Canada isn't a cheap place to live!

No.

It's easy if you score enough (see above), if not, then it's not that easy and you'll probably need a job offer and sponsoring employer to get a visa. But start with the above and then you can go from there.

For general lifestyle stuff, please post in the main forums, this immi section is for visa queries really so it's best not to mix the two up. But I wouldn't worry about where to live until you know if you can get Permanent Residency, as if you do need a sponsoring job then you may not get much choice in where to go anyway, so check in to the visa side of things first.
Thanks for all the help, I got a score of 429 points, so presume that's good? I am assuming I don't need to speak French for the majority of the country (although I do albeit rusty)?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for all the help, I got a score of 429 points, so presume that's good? I am assuming I don't need to speak French for the majority of the country (although I do albeit rusty)?
429 is ok, borderline for getting an ITA. The last draw went down to 446, so you wouldn't have got an ITA in that or the last 10 or so draws, but it did go down to 413 last May, so 6 months ago you'd have got one. Hopefully you would get an ITA at some point in the year after applying anyway. Will your score drop due to you having another birthday or anything like that in the not too distant future or are you ok for a while?

No, you don't need French for a federal application. Assuming you haven't included French in any of your points scores if it's rusty?
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:34 pm
Oscar nominated

As I have just returned from living in Europe for over 2 years, where it was unbearably hot, I now have that T-shirt, but thank you for your strange interest in my past searches...
My apologies, but yours was the kind of question someone very new to BE asks. Having noticed you weren't new, I looked at past posts to see if there was anything of relevance.

Onwards and upwards.