Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

When should I apply for Common Law Partner Visa?

When should I apply for Common Law Partner Visa?

Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default When should I apply for Common Law Partner Visa?

I am eligible to apply as of September 2009 (by which time, we would have been renting accommodation together for 12 months). I don't finish University until May 2010, and we are looking to move to Canada in October 2010.

When is the best time to apply? I wasn't sure if there is an entry period on the visa (i.e - you must enter within 12 months of it being granted).

Also, at the time off application, I will have the following:

. 12 month rental contract, with both names listed as tennants
. Shared bank account statements
. Shared credit card statements
. Proof of both names on electoral register at same address
. Confirmation of cruise booking, with both names on it (Cruise isn't until 2011 though)
. Letters from family & friends confirming relationship
. Photo's of us together

Is this good enough for an application?

Last edited by jameswales; Nov 19th 2008 at 1:07 pm. Reason: Added some more information.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:32 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When should I apply for Common Law Partner Visa?

Originally Posted by jameswales
I am eligible to apply as of September 2009 (by which time, we would have been renting accommodation together for 12 months). I don't finish University until May 2010, and we are looking to move to Canada in October 2010.

When is the best time to apply? I wasn't sure if there is an entry period on the visa (i.e - you must enter within 12 months of it being granted).

Also, at the time off application, I will have the following:

. 12 month rental contract, with both names listed as tennants
. Shared bank account statements
. Shared credit card statements
. Proof of both names on electoral register at same address
. Confirmation of cruise booking, with both names on it (Cruise isn't until 2011 though)
. Letters from family & friends confirming relationship
. Photo's of us together

Is this good enough for an application?
Yes, your list sound fine to prove co-habitation and common-law status. make sure your evidence is spread throughout the period if possible and not all recent (i.e. photos of you taken 12 months ago or more as well as recent ones). The only thing you could possibly add is life insurance naming each other as beneficiaries but the list you have should be fine.

Yes, once a visa is issued you must "land" within 12 months. So if you are unable to move yet you would be better either a) applying close to the time you can move or b) going to Canada to do the "landing" and come back.

But what stream are you applying under? Is your common-law partner a Canadian citizen and sponsoring you? If your partner is sponsoring you and they dont currently live in Canada they must show evidence of plans to move to Canada as soon as your PR visa is issued so if you arent in a position to move for some time you may be better waiting.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all

Hi Paul,

She is a Halifax girl (that's where we're looking to live), born and bred there. We met a few years ago and she moved to the UK in June under a UK Ancestry Visa to live with me until I complete my degree in 2010.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew - can't see your post above
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:13 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswales
Hi Paul,

She is a Halifax girl (that's where we're looking to live), born and bred there. We met a few years ago and she moved to the UK in June under a UK Ancestry Visa to live with me until I complete my degree in 2010.
Good choice of destination!

To meet the requirements of sponsorship she must be able to show that, if she doesnt live in Canada already, she has firm plans to move there and live with you once you are granted permanent residence.

Sponsorship cases under Family Class for spouses are talking about 6 months I think at London. So my advice is therefor not to apply yet - apply when you are around 6-7 months from finishing your degree apply and have something to show you have firm plans to move to Canada (i.e. a job offer or a lease for an apartment etc). Also you will have a longer history of living together by then too and therefore a stonger case as to your relationship.