When to go?????

Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:58 pm
Banned

durrani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to go?????

Hi every body.
Today finished the process after the wait of 6 months and got passport back from CHC london office.
I dont have any relative or friend in Canada. Just bit confused where to go after landing on Calgary aiport? Also bit confused on going now in this cold weather or I should wait till end of March and then move to Canada.

any advise will be highly appricated.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 8:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to go?????

Personally, if its a practical proposition (with regard to jobs etc) Id wait till March, enjoy a summer before getting that first winter under your belt. The job market is better in the spring too, so unless you want to ski a lot Id wait.

I arrived in February, survived a bit of winter so knew what to expect (sort of), but didnt have to put up with months of it straight off the plane.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:16 pm
Banned

durrani is an unknown quantity at this point

No worrieds about cold weather, but where to go from airport if you dont have any body there to recieve you?

One of my friend advise me that I should take pounds ( equal to 12000 CAD) rather then any travel cheque as it will cost me extra money? I dont think so that it is save to have this much money in cash with you?

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:24 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durrani
No worrieds about cold weather, but where to go from airport if you dont have any body there to recieve you?

One of my friend advise me that I should take pounds ( equal to 12000 CAD) rather then any travel cheque as it will cost me extra money? I dont think so that it is save to have this much money in cash with you?

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Why would you take pounds with you to Canada? It's not going to get you far once you're there without changing to CAD.

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask where to go from the airport? Surely if you're moving to live in Canada you'll have arranged somewhere to live or at least stay in the short term until you find longer term accommodation? You jump in a cab, hire car, etc and make your way there.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Hi durrani,

You can take 12000 CDN or GBP or whatever denomination with you but you will have to tell the officer at the border that you are carrying more than 10k CDN with you. They will ask you some questions (why do you carry so much money, where does the money come form, what are you planning to do with it) and that's pretty much it. It's just a regulation to prevent money laundry and/or fraud.

Congrats to getting your PR! You should start planning your first month in Calgary now. I would highly recommend to wait until Spring 2010 as finding a job will be tough in the winter and it is always nice to enjoy spring and summer before your first Canadian winter!

You can google some youth hostels in Calgary for the first couple nights. You can also try www.craigslist.ca to find a furnished apartment for the first weeks.

Read the section on CIC's homepage on 'After arrival'. When you are entering Canada you will need to give the officer a Canadian address so Immigration can send you your PR card. Therefore it is advisable to arrange some sort of hostel, hotel or bed and breakfast before landing.

Renting a car makes sense for the first weeks, if you want to spend the money. I found it very difficult to find my way from Toronto Airport to my first residence, a privately rented furnished apartment. So if you decide to rent a car, spend the extra money on a GPS!

After your arrival your next trip will be to the local provincial Service Centre to apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN). And you will also need to give them a Canadian mailing address here. You might also have to apply for provincial health insurance in the same office.

And then you are good to go and start your new life in Canada!

Good luck!