When to emigrate after PR

Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default When to emigrate after PR

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.
We haven't got our visas yet but are hoping to get them later in the year. We want to land early next year on say a three week holiday and then come back and tie up the loose ends, sell house ect. I know you have the be in Canada for 2 of 5 years to retain PR status, does that mean you could come back from landing and then not emigrate for 3 years, or do you have to take the 2 years first?(iykwim) also I know PR cards take 6-8 weeks to be delivered, could we have them Fedexd over to us in the UK? as we would have returned from our holiday. If anyone could help with these it would save a lot of speculation. Thanks Jo xx
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to emigrate after PR

Originally Posted by joelsa
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me.
We haven't got our visas yet but are hoping to get them later in the year. We want to land early next year on say a three week holiday and then come back and tie up the loose ends, sell house ect. I know you have the be in Canada for 2 of 5 years to retain PR status, does that mean you could come back from landing and then not emigrate for 3 years, or do you have to take the 2 years first?(iykwim) also I know PR cards take 6-8 weeks to be delivered, could we have them Fedexd over to us in the UK? as we would have returned from our holiday. If anyone could help with these it would save a lot of speculation. Thanks Jo xx
You could in theory return for three years and get you two years canadian residency in the last two years...doesnt leave much room for manouver though.

PR card would have to go to canadian address and then be forwarded on if you trust someone to do that, but as a UK citizen you have a visa waiver passport, so should be able to board a return flight to canada without the PR card anyway. Then you just have to convince the immmigration official you are a PR when you arrive back in canada. This should be possible with the paper IMM001 form in you passport and the resources they have available, but they may give you a hard time about it for making there life a bit more difficult. I havent tried it myself, but it comes up here now and then. The other alternative is once you are back in the UK go to the CHC to get a one time use travel document ($50) in leau of the PR card.