Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What's the one best tip or most important piece of advice?

What's the one best tip or most important piece of advice?

Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: What's the one best tip or most important piece of advice?

Check out PNP schemes of your desired province (except ON, they do not have one).

If it`s anything like NB`s - you`ll be here within a year!

You will find that here, outside the cities for sure they love the Brits`!!!

And that is reflected in your future contact with Canadian/Provincial officialdom.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

I did forget to say there is one annoying thing out here on the roads.

They are gutless when it comes to overtaking one, if they are in a hurry, they would rather ride your fender, "pushing you along" if they can, as there might be a RCMP radar trap up ahead.
So keep ya "cruise" set at no more then 5k over the limit, the 8litre pick ups will go around you eventually. DAMNED HILL BILLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

blacky is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What's the one best tip or most important piece of advice?

Unless your are independent rich, read other immigrant opinions in
www.canadaimmigrants.com
www.*********.com.
Be well rested and wait until supper has been digested.

Cheers B
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blacky
www.canadaimmigrants.com
www.*********.com.

Cheers B
A neutral, well balanced overview. NOT.
It would be funny if it wasnt just sad.

The majority of happy settled immigrants dont bother to come here to tell you how good life is.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 7th 2005 at 8:41 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

i woudl say remember "You can't rush them, they're Canadian"
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:48 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Hmmmmm well yesssssss.

Can't say I identify with any of this. Moved from UK Got the first job I applied for, straight into a job of the same level - if not higher.

No culture???????
Worst weather????? what about all them horrible hot countries out there????
Cost of living 5 times higher than any where else?????
No Jobs coast to coast?????

I wonder if this guy has ever thought about working for the "National Enquirer". I think he would make an excellent reporter for them and has missed his vocation in life.

Originally Posted by blacky
www.canadaimmigrants.com
www.*********.com.

Cheers B
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:29 pm
Waiting for Passport Back

bm71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will give you the same advice I got when I started this process, Tell the truth, don`t hide anything, have documents to support everything you say on your application. Finally be patient, the waiting is hard but eventualy things will happen.

bm71
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

One thing I did not plan on -

In NB, to buy liquor, one has to go to a government store and it`s heavily taxed.

As a result, I`ve lost my beer gut and become semi-tea total.

I suppose my liver and bladder are happier then they have been for a long time!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:55 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd echo what many others have said and add my own bits.

Don't hide anything bad. Be prepared to explain it.

Don't fabricate anything, especially when it comes to your occupation. The CIC people have a thick manual of very detailed job descriptions. The public never get to see it. My brother, when he was looking to migrate, was going to put himself down as an agriculturalist, rather than dairy farmer (his real occupation), because it got more points. I was able to "obtain" a copy of the job description. He'd have fallen at the first fence.

Don't miss anything out; it just delays your application. I had help from a CIC official when I made my application. We still missed something. Fortunately it didn't slow my application but I was in a very different position to most applicants.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:16 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
One thing I did not plan on -

In NB, to buy liquor, one has to go to a government store and it`s heavily taxed.

Same here (tho alcohol in BC is not province managed) alcohol reduction way down (apart from losing the beer gut) with 6 bottles of decent beer at $13-16 my intake has slowed to a trickle, with monthly ale rations being scheduled in the diary.

One positive: I'm a cheap drunk able to get pissed on a few bottles (that's some big change there from the UK)

Rich.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 3:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Same here (tho alcohol in BC is not province managed) alcohol reduction way down (apart from losing the beer gut) with 6 bottles of decent beer at $13-16 my intake has slowed to a trickle, with monthly ale rations being scheduled in the diary.
Unfortunately I'm less descerning and acceptable beer at ~$1.10 a bottle has done nothing for my gut! According to our three year old "Mummy has a baby in her tummy. Daddys just fat" out of the mouths of babes

Of course as my dear OH is not drinking, neither am I but my gut is unchanged Perhaps the finger of blame should be pointed at T Horton not J Labatt!

I dont think Alcohol is particularly more expensive here than the UK? Probably a topic for the other forum anyway
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:54 pm
Tab
Forum Regular

Tab is on a distinguished road
Default Beer

Mein Gut! If I'd known beer would be more expensive in Canada, I never would have started the emigration process! Perhaps we need a special thread dedicated to beer!
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:53 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Whoops, sorry I didn't reply to this for ages- I've recently started a new job and they keep tabs on me a bit. Obviously I don't want them to see that I'm hoping to emigrate! Thanks for all the replies though, they're all really helpful.

Originally Posted by Airseir
OK.

First before I get a huge flame on this I would like to point out that the following is my personal opinion and I do not expect it to reflect the opinion of others.

From the following quote you could better achieve this ambition by travelling many countries not immigrating to one. Have you considered a work permit?
No flaming from me, that's definitely the most important question of all! There are many, many reasons I want to emigrate to Canada, but some of the main ones include: rights for common-law partners; geographic location and layout (my boyfriend is a demon snowboarder and is dying to be able to snowboard after work and on weekends!); the fantastic juxtaposition of city and wilderness that I found in Vancouver, etc. etc. All the stuff you're probably sick of hearing! (As for living abroad, I have already done that in several countries, but I've never really wanted to emigrate to any of them.) There are lots of other reasons too, but I have to keep minimising this screen at work and I keep losing my train of thought!

I would say keep a photocopy of everything you send. It is comforting to be able to leaf through the application as it would have been received by CHC to verify the details of any information you have provided.
Thanks. I think I'll lay the copies out the same as the originals. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I noticed how expensive things like wine were in Vancouver! Not sure how I'll cope with that, but to be honest it will probably be the best thing that's ever happened to me . I could definitely do with cutting back a bit!

Don't fabricate anything, especially when it comes to your occupation. The CIC people have a thick manual of very detailed job descriptions. The public never get to see it.
Wow. I wasn't going to hide anything, but I will have to make an effort to be extra-careful in that case. I must say I'm a bit confused though, as I didn't realise that different occupations scored different points? I thought it was more to do with how long you'd been employed and whether your job was officially recognised.

Thanks again, and if anybody has any more tips, they're all gratefully received. I'm hoping to finalise the application over the Xmas period and submit it some time in the New Year (provided that I get my damn police check back.)
Old Dec 16th 2005, 3:09 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Well from my experience and time spent since arriving in April I have but one piece of advice.

If you consider starting a business when you land, DO NOT invite certain types of people who, after opening your home (and fridge up to) for a day of BBQ, beer and football, who you openly discuss your business ideas and services and all the while your only intention is to be friendly, genuine and sincere, only to find out the “guests” had gone out of their way to amateurishly copy your services, plans, ideas, website and even plagiarize your company name.

Sound far fetched? Sound unbelievable? Sound down right low?

It can happen.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 6:33 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BH PNP]Well from my experience and time spent since arriving in April I have but one piece of advice.

If you consider starting a business when you land, DO NOT invite certain types of people who, after opening your home (and fridge up to) for a day of BBQ, beer and football, who you openly discuss your business ideas and services and all the while your only intention is to be friendly, genuine and sincere, only to find out the “guests” had gone out of their way to amateurishly copy your services, plans, ideas, website and even plagiarize your company name.

Sound far fetched? Sound unbelievable? Sound down right low?

It can happen.

That sounds amazing, what happened? As you know i am about to start the 3rd week of a Realtors course and we are taught a lot about ethics and morals, although i'm not perfect and i stray from the righteous path now and then, i wouldn't last long as a realtor if i did what your "guest" did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.