British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Whats life like in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/whats-life-like-canada-291251/)

Jib Jib Mar 20th 2005 5:04 pm

Whats life like in Canada?

Hi,

This is my first post and I was hoping someone could just give me an indication as to what life is like in Canada when compared to the UK?
Is it all work and no play?
I've heard holidays from work are very short?
People also tell me tax is very high?
I have had a telephone interview for a job in Edmonton (I am a Piping Draughtsman) so thats the place myself and my wife would be looking at going, or maybe Calgary.

Thanks

David and Ped

amancharan Mar 20th 2005 5:25 pm

Re: Whats life like in Canada?

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Hi,

This is my first post and I was hoping someone could just give me an indication as to what life is like in Canada when compared to the UK?
I have had a telephone interview for a job in Edmonton (I am a Piping Draughtsman) so thats the place myself and my wife would be looking at going, or maybe Calgary.

Thanks

David and Ped

I think if u go to the lifestyle section of this forum, u will surely find answers!!
cheers

Jib Jib Mar 20th 2005 6:58 pm

Thanks a lot we will try that forum then
Cheers

frankieforehead Mar 20th 2005 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Hi,

Thanks

David and Ped

Life in Canada................All depends on how good or bad you make it I suppose...There have been some positive posts and negative posts on this subject over the months, but you have to ask yourself what you want from life.
Alberta is a Brilliant place to settle (Especially Cochrane), but so are the other provinces. Take a trip to calgary early to mid july this year and experience the 100th stampede, Go to edmonton and shop till you drop, then wonder at the rockies and venture out onto the prairies and you'll get a good feel for Alberta, i love the place.

Holidays from work are short but the public holidays tend to make up the shortfall. Tax is tax and you'll never escape paying...but the biggest hangover to get over is missing friends and family, you'll find a huge difference in cultures away from the "have a nice day" workers to the real Canadians at home. If you can accept the culture and choose friends wisely you'll be fine.

Anyway best stop otherwise I'll have the whats up with us Canadians breathing down my neck.
Good luck in your new life
Regards
frankieforehead. :)