Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What to say to immigration officer...

What to say to immigration officer...

Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

axai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to say to immigration officer...

Hello all,

I was wondering if you can help.
I am travelling to canada on the BUNAC visa with my girlfriend, she is a Canadian resident.

We are travelling together and I'm aware that they don't look kindly upon people travelling on the BUNAC visa to be with their girlfriend.

What do I say to the immigration officer?
What do I say if he asks me if I am intending to reside in Canada (I am, submitting spousal sponsorship).

Thank's in advance.

Axai
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:29 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to say to immigration officer...

How long has your GF been out of Canada? If you are certain she still has her residence then you have no real problem. It is always the wrong policy to lie to the immigration officer as it can come back to haunt you and result in refusal to let you stay in Canada while your sponsorship application proceeds. Just tell them what you plan.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
How long has your GF been out of Canada? If you are certain she still has her residence then you have no real problem. It is always the wrong policy to lie to the immigration officer as it can come back to haunt you and result in refusal to let you stay in Canada while your sponsorship application proceeds. Just tell them what you plan.
Hey,

She's been out of Canada now for about 3 years. She has a passport etc, so i don't see a problem there. It's just that we're moving to Canada on a BUNAC visa then trying to get sponsorship. I will not lie, i'm just wondering if there's something i shouldn't tell them

Wouldn't they think its strange that someone is travelling with his Girlfriend on a Working Holiday visa?

Axai
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road

I would say I'm coming on my BUNAC, and staying with my girlfriend to start.

How do you plan to apply for spousal sponsorship?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chams
I would say I'm coming on my BUNAC, and staying with my girlfriend to start.

How do you plan to apply for spousal sponsorship?
After 6 months into my trip we will qualify for common-law.
We've been living together now for 7 months in the UK (her on a tourist visa).
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Just answer the questions honestly. I think dual intent may apply, meaning, you can enter on your current visa, and be prepared to leave if you have to, even though you have a sponsorship application in the works, or intend to file one.

Some more senior members may correct this.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Just answer the questions honestly. I think dual intent may apply, meaning, you can enter on your current visa, and be prepared to leave if you have to, even though you have a sponsorship application in the works, or intend to file one.

Some more senior members may correct this.
Sorry, does that mean they allow dual intent, or is that a problem for me?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by axai
Sorry, does that mean they allow dual intent, or is that a problem for me?
No, I think it works in your favour.
http://www.cicnews.com/2000/03/dual-...dum-03426.html

I would wait for an answer from the more knowledgeable members than myself though.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

No, I think it works in your favour.
http://www.cicnews.com/2000/03/dual-...dum-03426.html

I would wait for an answer from the more knowledgeable members than myself though.
Ahhh, thanks for that. IT makes sense, actually. I have no intention to remain as an illegal immigrant, i have return flights and I intend to submit my application.

Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2009, 12:51 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Is she a citizen of Canada or not? Its important.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:25 am
Just Joined

ruaillebuaille is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I was wondering if you can help.
I am travelling to canada on the BUNAC visa with my girlfriend, she is a Canadian resident.

We are travelling together and I'm aware that they don't look kindly upon people travelling on the BUNAC visa to be with their girlfriend.

What do I say to the immigration officer?
What do I say if he asks me if I am intending to reside in Canada (I am, submitting spousal sponsorship).

Thank's in advance.

Axai
Hi I came to Canada on the USIT ( same as BUNAC)- I was not asked a single question pertaining to my personal life. The only things asked of me were to provide my letter from the Canadian High Commission and that was it. I was told the date I would have to leave the country, with which I complied. I came here to be with my then boyfriend. We married while I was here and applied for spousal sponsorship which was successful.

If you are concerned about what they might ask you, be truthful. What's the point in starting out a new life with a lie?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ruaillebuaille
Hi I came to Canada on the USIT ( same as BUNAC)- I was not asked a single question pertaining to my personal life. The only things asked of me were to provide my letter from the Canadian High Commission and that was it. I was told the date I would have to leave the country, with which I complied. I came here to be with my then boyfriend. We married while I was here and applied for spousal sponsorship which was successful.

If you are concerned about what they might ask you, be truthful. What's the point in starting out a new life with a lie?
You have just answered my question, thanks! My girlfriend is a Canadian Citizen (I presume like your boyfriend?). That is what i'm hoping they will do.

Thanks very much
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Is she a citizen of Canada or not? Its important.
Hey Jim, yes she is.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:21 pm

As seen above it is not illegal to enter Canada on temporary status with the intention of applying for PR as a spouse.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

ruaillebuaille is an unknown quantity at this point

You have just answered my question, thanks! My girlfriend is a Canadian Citizen (I presume like your boyfriend?). That is what i'm hoping they will do.

Thanks very much

Yes, my husband is a Canadian citizen. Ultimately, as long as you are an upstanding person while here in Canada, leave the country on your assigned date, ( unless you can avail of the 'roundabout methods), I don't think anyone cares in particular.

The only hurdle you will meet is to prove you are not marrying a Canadian citizen for mere convenience and that you are in a genuine relationship. If everything is ticketyboo then there is no point in worrying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.