Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What is the process for getting on Medicare in BC?

What is the process for getting on Medicare in BC?

Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:14 am
Just Joined

RupesMandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the process for getting on Medicare in BC?

When I land in Nov or Feb 06, what paperwork do I have to produce to start my 3 month wait for Medicare (BC) eligability? Once I've got it going, what is there to stop me (in terms of Medicare eligability only) returning to the UK for a few weeks to sort out things and then going back maybe a month or so later?

Who has anybody else used to provide private medical care in the interim period? Were they good, cheap and useful or the opposite?

Steers on this will be much appreciated.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 4:32 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the process for getting on Medicare in BC?

We used Canadasure for insurance for the first 3 months, approx 300 quid for two adults, the med cover is very good, the insurance for 'stuff' less so, but also less important. Felt it was VGVFM and wouldn't have been without it. Haven't had to claim on it so wouldn't say for sure but we wouldn't be without it as back up in case of trauma etc.

BC's MSP is a balls up right now, BC Prov Govt fed it out to a US based company to manage the paperwork side of things and it's all gone into a right 2&8 now. Backlogs of applicants, claims being messed up etc. People have been waiting ages then ringing up, and having been passed up the line, a supervisor has been giving them their policy number over the phone ! So, obviously everything's in a big old heap of backlog there. Sounds like typical custome service to me.

Anyways, you get the MSP forms from a doctor. Or download from the internet and post them when you arrive in country, thery need to see ID docs posted off (copies only) i.e.passport ID pages, a copy of your visa, and also good idea to give them the # of your UK health card or a photocopy of it sent off to them.

Rich.

Originally Posted by RupesMandy
When I land in Nov or Feb 06, what paperwork do I have to produce to start my 3 month wait for Medicare (BC) eligability? Once I've got it going, what is there to stop me (in terms of Medicare eligability only) returning to the UK for a few weeks to sort out things and then going back maybe a month or so later?

Who has anybody else used to provide private medical care in the interim period? Were they good, cheap and useful or the opposite?

Steers on this will be much appreciated.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

RupesMandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the process for getting on Medicare in BC?

Many, many thanks!

Originally Posted by Rich_007
We used Canadasure for insurance for the first 3 months, approx 300 quid for two adults, the med cover is very good, the insurance for 'stuff' less so, but also less important. Felt it was VGVFM and wouldn't have been without it. Haven't had to claim on it so wouldn't say for sure but we wouldn't be without it as back up in case of trauma etc.

BC's MSP is a balls up right now, BC Prov Govt fed it out to a US based company to manage the paperwork side of things and it's all gone into a right 2&8 now. Backlogs of applicants, claims being messed up etc. People have been waiting ages then ringing up, and having been passed up the line, a supervisor has been giving them their policy number over the phone ! So, obviously everything's in a big old heap of backlog there. Sounds like typical custome service to me.

Anyways, you get the MSP forms from a doctor. Or download from the internet and post them when you arrive in country, thery need to see ID docs posted off (copies only) i.e.passport ID pages, a copy of your visa, and also good idea to give them the # of your UK health card or a photocopy of it sent off to them.

Rich.