Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What I need to take with me for 'landing'

What I need to take with me for 'landing'

Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default What I need to take with me for 'landing'

SO with passports back and residency visa in hand...i plan to go leave canada and re enter sometime next week...

First question is...do I need to fill out the ESTA form online before travelling to the states? or will I be exempt as I am just going down to flagpole?

Second question...do I just take my passport and the generic document with me to re enter? or do I need my AOE aswell to void the need for proof of funds?

Thirdly...Should I be concerned or worried about anything upon re entering as I am on 'implied statut' right now!

Thanks

Garry
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I need to take with me for 'landing'

Don't know about anything else but what about 'goods to follow'? Is there anything that you still have in the UK that you would like to have sent over?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canglish
SO with passports back and residency visa in hand...i plan to go leave canada and re enter sometime next week...

First question is...do I need to fill out the ESTA form online before travelling to the states? or will I be exempt as I am just going down to flagpole?
Take everything. Read, etc:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

ESTA is not needed on the land frontier. Have a genuine plan to visit the US.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Take everything. Read, etc:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

ESTA is not needed on the land frontier. Have a genuine plan to visit the US.
Read the link...So basically flagpoling doesn't exist anymore?

I will take everything I have with me...although as far as I am aware...I do not need proof of funds as I have an AEO?? Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Can I not just go to the States and 'tell' them I am going shopping with the Mrs...and return the same day?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Read the link...So basically flagpoling doesn't exist anymore?
Where do you get that idea from? You leave the country, then return.

Can I not just go to the States and 'tell' them I am going shopping with the Mrs...and return the same day?
Many people do same-day shopping/sightseeing trips, so why not. But do have some idea where you plan to go and do your shopping ...
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=JAJ;8342587]Where do you get that idea from? You leave the country, then return.

I thought I read they don't 'like it' so wasn't allowed...I guess I will just tell them I am going shopping...I'll google the malls and outlets now

And I'm almost positive I don't need proof of funds...FSW2 application...didn't submit proof of funds when I was applying...just put a note saying I had an AEO so funds were N/A...if they didn't say anything then I'm sure what I have been told is right!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=canglish;8342767]
Originally Posted by JAJ
Where do you get that idea from? You leave the country, then return.

I thought I read they don't 'like it' so wasn't allowed...I guess I will just tell them I am going shopping...I'll google the malls and outlets now

And I'm almost positive I don't need proof of funds...FSW2 application...didn't submit proof of funds when I was applying...just put a note saying I had an AEO so funds were N/A...if they didn't say anything then I'm sure what I have been told is right!
I am SW Cat 1 and even though we have jobs here and been here for 3 years we still had to prove Proof of Funds before they would issue PPR
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=burton bunch;8343024]

I am SW Cat 1 and even though we have jobs here and been here for 3 years we still had to prove Proof of Funds before they would issue PPR
Well maybe I am lucky...or you are unlucky!! I haven't had to prove funds...and I didn't think you had to with an AEO. Well I don't have $10 grand...so I will just head to the border...take my chances and if questioned...play dumb!!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

EVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant future

We didnt need proof of funds on 'landing' - we did a same day shopping trip across the border paid our US $6 (which is valid for 3 months) and then 'landed' on the way home.!
Very straight forward for us . I did take bank statements,mortgage statements, recent paysleips etc and the IO only asked for the COPR and the passports. Always better to be prepared though. Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Ok I gotta ask, if you go shopping then return to Canada to land....do they make you pay duty on items you purchased? as technically when you bought them you were not a PR of Canada....

OH AND CONGRATS ON LANDING GARRY...
hope to see you when we get back
if your folks want to send anything or want anything, let me know eh
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

They were going to make us pay duty on the liquor and beer we bought, but tara just drove back in and returned it! and yes we will definetly get together when you guys get back
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Garry, that at least answers my ?..
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:42 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
Ok I gotta ask, if you go shopping then return to Canada to land....do they make you pay duty on items you purchased? as technically when you bought them you were not a PR of Canada....

OH AND CONGRATS ON LANDING GARRY...
hope to see you when we get back
if your folks want to send anything or want anything, let me know eh
Immigration status is irrelevant - residency in Canada is what counts, so you will have to pay tax/duty. But if you buy just groceries, they are tax free generally