Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What happens ifTemporary Work Permit expires before receive LMIA?

What happens ifTemporary Work Permit expires before receive LMIA?

Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:15 am
Just Joined

morgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond repute
Default What happens ifTemporary Work Permit expires before receive LMIA?

Hi,

My husband had originally applied from the UK for a temporary work permit, at the time his occupation (gas pipefitter) was lmo exempt due to a pilot scheme that was running at the time. Frustrated at how long it was taking from the UK, I posted a question on here asking for advice, which I was told that my husband could go to canada and get his work permit at the airport, which in fact he did, he was given a 1 year TWP. The kids, dog and myself arrived a week later, where we were kept for approx 4 hours in immigration only to be told that OH had his permit in error as the pilot scheme had expired months before. Eventually we were issued with visitor records and could stay. My husbands employer have only now applied for an LMIA as they were advised that my husband may not be issued with a new TWP without an LMIA. My question is what are our options if the twp expires before we hear about or receive an lmia? Due to expire in August!
Old Apr 18th 2015, 6:13 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens ifTemporary Work Permit expires before receive LMIA?

Hi

Originally Posted by morgansseeal
Hi,

My husband had originally applied from the UK for a temporary work permit, at the time his occupation (gas pipefitter) was lmo exempt due to a pilot scheme that was running at the time. Frustrated at how long it was taking from the UK, I posted a question on here asking for advice, which I was told that my husband could go to canada and get his work permit at the airport, which in fact he did, he was given a 1 year TWP. The kids, dog and myself arrived a week later, where we were kept for approx 4 hours in immigration only to be told that OH had his permit in error as the pilot scheme had expired months before. Eventually we were issued with visitor records and could stay. My husbands employer have only now applied for an LMIA as they were advised that my husband may not be issued with a new TWP without an LMIA. My question is what are our options if the twp expires before we hear about or receive an lmia? Due to expire in August!

1. If the employer doesn't get the LMIA prior to the work permit expiring, he would have to stop work. He could apply for an extension as a visitor if you wished to remain to see if the LMIA comes through.
2. The same problem if the LMIA is refused. The processing time for the Alberta Compulsory and Optional Trades Category is too long at the present time to help.

Last edited by PMM; Apr 18th 2015 at 6:18 am.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

morgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond reputemorgansseeal has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply.
I guess he wouldn't be able to get an extension either on his current work permit while he waits?
Also what would happen to the kids and me? Would we be able to extend our visitor visas too?
Do you have any idea how long current processing times are at the moment in Alberta?
Old Apr 18th 2015, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply.
I guess he wouldn't be able to get an extension either on his current work permit while he waits?
No, they're not extendable. The only way he could keep working would be if you'd applied for PR and could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what you've said.

Also what would happen to the kids and me? Would we be able to extend our visitor visas too?
Once he's got his new TWP, then you can flagpole with him and extend your status. You'll be dependents on his TWP, so not actually visitors. You're eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit, which will be for the same duration as his TWP.

Do you have any idea how long current processing times are at the moment in Alberta?
LMIA processing times or TWP? Sorry, not sure which bit of the process you're asking about here?
Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Lmia processing times, thank you
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, they're not extendable. The only way he could keep working would be if you'd applied for PR and could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what you've said.

Once he's got his new TWP, then you can flagpole with him and extend your status. You'll be dependents on his TWP, so not actually visitors. You're eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit, which will be for the same duration as his TWP.

LMIA processing times or TWP? Sorry, not sure which bit of the process you're asking about here?
Hi, yes LMIA processing times please, can't find any info anywhere
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes LMIA processing times please, can't find any info anywhere
Please re-read Site Rule 13, bumping your thread isn't allowed. But if you look at the LMIA processing time thread, you'll see that it can be anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 months, it will just depend.

HTH.