Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What else should I know about applying for PR through work permit...

What else should I know about applying for PR through work permit...

Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough
Default What else should I know about applying for PR through work permit...

LMO for my husband in process as I write. It should take about two months right? ( wiki ).
When it is approved we have no choice but to get TWP at the port of entry ( wiki again - the company is only prepared to wait as long as it takes for LMO to be processed ). How long is the work permit usually valid for and at what point can we apply for PR. How can I obtain a spousal work permit for me?
According to wiki I won't get one at the POE, will I ?

Thanks for your replies in advance.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future
Default Re: What else should I know about applying for PR through work permit...

Originally Posted by Fairy Tales
LMO for my husband in process as I write. It should take about two months right? ( wiki ).
When it is approved we have no choice but to get TWP at the port of entry ( wiki again - the company is only prepared to wait as long as it takes for LMO to be processed ). How long is the work permit usually valid for and at what point can we apply for PR. How can I obtain a spousal work permit for me?
According to wiki I won't get one at the POE, will I ?

Thanks for your replies in advance.
Assuming your OH gets LMO (many rejections over here at the mo. because of all the job losses) then you can get TWP at point of entry. We did this in February and were given a two year WP. I got an open work permit at point of entry also but that was because of the NOC classsification of my OH job. If your husbands job is a skilled job then same will apply.

We were told by CIC that we could put in for PR straight away so we sent our initial application to CIO Nova Scotia in June 2009 and are still waiting to here from them. We have friends in Lethbridge who came the year before us and they had to work for 12 months before they could apply. My sister also came over as a nurse and had to work 12 months before she could put in for PR. So different rules apply depending on circumstances?

Will keep my fingers crossed for positive LMO. Every day feels like an eternity whilst your waiting I know. It will be worth it all in the end though!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What else should I know about applying for PR through work permit...

Thanks for your reply. It doesn't sound bad at all. I was expecting some discouraging replies e.g. "this process takes for ever" kind of response.
Lets wait and see what happens.