What about my current clients?

Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default What about my current clients?

Say I get the LMO and come over on a TWP to work for a company. As self employed here, I have clients. One of them is on going and they pay me yearly. I don't expect that account to end any time soon. It's more than likely going to continue for another couple of years.

What am I to do about that?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What about my current clients?

Not knowing what line of work you are in makes it difficult to answer.

Generally speaking, if it's possible for you to do the work at a distance, there is no reason why you can't continue to do the work for your client whilst in Canada. There may be tax implications (as in having to declare world income) but that is another matter.

Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Not knowing what line of work you are in makes it difficult to answer.

Generally speaking, if it's possible for you to do the work at a distance, there is no reason why you can't continue to do the work for your client whilst in Canada. There may be tax implications (as in having to declare world income) but that is another matter.

It's been distance work for the past 8 years so that is not an issue. Being in Toronto would actually make me a whole lot closer than here as the client is US based. AT least I'd end up in the same time zone.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:02 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Say I get the LMO and come over on a TWP to work for a company. As self employed here, I have clients. One of them is on going and they pay me yearly. I don't expect that account to end any time soon. It's more than likely going to continue for another couple of years.

What am I to do about that?
Actually that is a good question. I thought the LMO entitled you to only work for that employer. Wonder what happens in your situation where you'll be working for multiple "employers"?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

She would only be working for one employer in Canada though, wouldn't she?

Her self employment "work" would not be for an employer in Canada, as such I believe it would come under "long distance (by telephone or internet)"

See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...w/fw01-eng.pdf section 5:1

Work without a work permit:

Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;

self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market, nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim.

I believe the OP would need to register her business in Sweden (if not already done) and ensure that payment is made directly to her bank account there.

Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by siouxie
I believe the OP would need to register her business in Sweden (if not already done) and ensure that payment is made directly to her bank account there.

You are correct to a degree. We don't register a business as self employed. We register with the tax office for VAT numbers to be either fully self employed or able to be employed and self employed concurrently, which the latter applies to me. So I can take employment (which I have) and invoice clients as self employed and have a slip of paper proving I have a VAT number. My Swedish SIN number is also my business registration number. The company name is the same as my name. Should I want to register a company name different to my own I have to do that with the patent office and pay a fee.

Invoicing will and do go to my Swedish bank account.