Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Welfare (Social Assistance) in Toronto

Welfare (Social Assistance) in Toronto

Old Mar 10th 2001, 8:09 pm
Vladimir M

Hi!

I have a question about receiving welfare (Social Assistance) in Toronto. We are family of
3 people - me and my wife in middle thirties, and my daughter 4 years old. First we landed
in Vancouver in May 2000, stayed for 2 weeks and went back to USA (I was working in USA on
H1B visa at that time). After my visa ended in September 15, 2000 we stayed for a while in
US and in November 2000 we moved to Toronto, Canada for good. I can not find a job here -
I am looking for Java Developer position. I sent my resume to about 100 places, was called
to only 2 interviews and was turned down. I don't know - may be I am not smart enough. I
also was looking for any job: McDonalds, Sales Person, just no brain heavy lifting -
nothing - nobody wants me. My wife found part time job in convenience store for 7 per
hour. We pay 850 for apartment plus electricity, phone, cable. Our money running down. I
feel terrible, very depressed and I am thinking about applying for welfare next month
after I pay rent for April and money would be on very low level. Does anybody have
experience with receiving welfare in Toronto.
1) How long does it take to get it?
2) How deep did they check you - do you have to bring paper showing you don't have any
assets, properties like apartment in Russia, bank account in US,...???
3) Funds I have in my landing paper which was issued in 1999 says 30, 000. But since that
time it ran down. Would I have a problem because of such high number.
4) I heard they ask tuff questions - what questions do they ask, what is a best way to
answer those questions.

Anybody who got welfare could you share your experience?

Would appreciate any response,

Regards, Vlad

Old Mar 10th 2001, 11:11 pm
sidoriva

i thought canada has a lot of vacancies, based on
http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/view?/news/200...hortage_010221

could someone give an idea why ?