Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Weird customs question... How do I bring this when I land

Weird customs question... How do I bring this when I land

Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Weird customs question... How do I bring this when I land

I'm looking for advice from somebody who knows immigration and customs laws in Canada. When I land with my new PR I want to bring some archaeological human bone and tooth samples with me that are part of my PhD research. I will also have some freeze dried protein that was extracted from these samples. These are only about 300 small 1-2g samples of bone and about 300 20mg protein samples, not whole bones or skulls or anything like that. They are all packaged nicely. Now I know that as an incoming PR I am most likely to get searched so what is the best way to bring this stuff into Canada? Should I fill in any forms before I land? Get a letter from the University? I've travelled with this stuff before and never had any problems, but then I normally just stick it in my luggage and travel without thinking about it too much. Any advice appreciated...
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:45 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Weird customs question... How do I bring this when I land

Originally Posted by Jonny
I'm looking for advice from somebody who knows immigration and customs laws in Canada. When I land with my new PR I want to bring some archaeological human bone and tooth samples with me that are part of my PhD research. I will also have some freeze dried protein that was extracted from these samples. These are only about 300 small 1-2g samples of bone and about 300 20mg protein samples, not whole bones or skulls or anything like that. They are all packaged nicely. Now I know that as an incoming PR I am most likely to get searched so what is the best way to bring this stuff into Canada? Should I fill in any forms before I land? Get a letter from the University? I've travelled with this stuff before and never had any problems, but then I normally just stick it in my luggage and travel without thinking about it too much. Any advice appreciated...
Try calling customs and asking
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Canabrits is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you officially mail it from an academic institution in the UK to one in Canada (with a full customs declaration)? Not sure if this suggestion represents more or less risk of customs snagging it up though, I mean compared to you carrying it in.

All I know is we were held up by them for about 20 minutes one time when they wanted us to fully declare the SMA baby formula powder we had with us!

Originally Posted by Jonny
Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:33 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

We had that with unopened jars of Heinz baby food. They can certainly be picky!

Originally Posted by Canabrits
All I know is we were held up by them for about 20 minutes one time when they wanted us to fully declare the SMA baby formula powder we had with us!