Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Weird but true! Name-ANOMALY (Need some very wise advice!)

Weird but true! Name-ANOMALY (Need some very wise advice!)

Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

AlbaVienna is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Weird but true! Name-ANOMALY (Need some very wise advice!)

I have a small problem and wonder if someone can help:

On my Birth & Baptism Certificate My First Name is written: STUART
On every other official document (Passport, School Leaving Certificates, both Degrees, Voting Papers, Employment Records, National Insurance, Tax Office, Driving Papers etc.) My First Name is written: STEUART (so with an extra "E")
I discussed this with the "Dept. of Registration of Births, Deaths & Marriages in the UK" and they said that unless I have proof that this alternative spelling was used on a document before I was 1 Year old then "officially" I have the name that I have NOT used for anything over the years. The only way was to change my name is by "Deed Pole" but then are all my documents invalid as they were issued BEFORE this "Name Change"?

I went to the British Embassy here in Vienna who issued me with a "Statutory Declaration" (with all Letter Heads and a Seal!) which I signed under oath to declare that I have never used any other name. This is sufficient for the Embassy to issue my Passport but not for the "Dept. of Registration of Births, Deaths & Marriages in the UK"....but who has seniority?

My question is: Should I declare this on the IMM0008 Sched. 1 (Point 3.) and submit the Embassy Declaration or Ignore it or change my name officially (because of an "E")?

I am nervous that when they do a background check they don't know who I am or find this bizarre small point out - although the ONLY document with this spelling is my Birth Certificate?

I would very much appreciate some wise advice! Thanks and cheers AlbaVienna
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:05 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird but true! Name-ANOMALY (Need some very wise advice!)

Originally Posted by AlbaVienna

On every other official document (Passport, School Leaving Certificates, both Degrees, Voting Papers, Employment Records, National Insurance, Tax Office, Driving Papers etc.) My First Name is written: STEUART (so with an extra "E")
I discussed this with the "Dept. of Registration of Births, Deaths & Marriages in the UK" and they said that unless I have proof that this alternative spelling was used on a document before I was 1 Year old then "officially" I have the name that I have NOT used for anything over the years. The only way was to change my name is by "Deed Pole" but then are all my documents invalid as they were issued BEFORE this "Name Change"?

I went to the British Embassy here in Vienna who issued me with a "Statutory Declaration" (with all Letter Heads and a Seal!) which I signed under oath to declare that I have never used any other name. This is sufficient for the Embassy to issue my Passport but not for the "Dept. of Registration of Births, Deaths & Marriages in the UK"....but who has seniority?

My question is: Should I declare this on the IMM0008 Sched. 1 (Point 3.) and submit the Embassy Declaration or Ignore it or change my name officially (because of an "E")?

I am nervous that when they do a background check they don't know who I am or find this bizarre small point out - although the ONLY document with this spelling is my Birth Certificate?

as you've been using steuart for ages then you just get a 'change of name deed' from a solicitor and sign it in front of them (this should not cost very much and is not the same as changing your name by deed poll). Send a copy of that with an explanatory note with your application and that's it (fill in all the forms using the name you currently use). No need to change your birth certificate.

(I've got no idea what a baptism certificate is - such things don't exist in the UK, at least with any official meaning).

Last edited by Alan2005; Apr 12th 2010 at 1:08 am.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan2005
as you've been using steuart for ages then you just get a 'change of name deed' from a solicitor and sign it in front of them (this should not cost very much and is not the same as changing your name by deed poll). Send a copy of that with an explanatory note with your application and that's it (fill in all the forms using the name you currently use). No need to change your birth certificate.

(I've got no idea what a baptism certificate is - such things don't exist in the UK, at least with any official meaning).
Hi Alan2005 - thanks for your reply.
I am British (Scottish) and got a "Statutory Declaration" (with all Letter Heads and a Seal!) from the British Embassy here in Vienna which I signed under oath to declare that I have never used any other name. The question is whether the CIC will accept this declaration as in the UK the "Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages" say that I NEED a Deed Pole to change my Birth Certificate Entry. I currently live in Vienna and wanted to post my application this week and to get a Lawyers letter from UK is difficult!
Thanks AlbaVienna
p.s. The Baptism Certificate is only an extra document that my parents got when I was baptised (it's normal in UK - at least in the 60's!)...I has no choice in the matter! ;-)
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You also got an answer in the other part of the forum. I don't think anyone else will tell you anything different, so i would see a solicitor to legalise your name change / spelling
Stef

Sorry I posted in wrong Forum section: so here it is:

Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:48 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

call cic and ask them. either way it should not be difficult to prove you are the stuart that passed the degree, do you have a yearbook? you may have to risk showing college or uni hair to a prospecive employer to prove the point but i cant see it being anything more than a talking point. youare unlikely to be deported over it. just get the cic to recognise that you are known on some documents as steuart ( a spelling i have never ever seen used, and im a scot too)
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I have nothing to add other than; Good luck Stewart
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alan2005 - thanks for your reply.
I am British (Scottish) and got a "Statutory Declaration" (with all Letter Heads and a Seal!) from the British Embassy here in Vienna which I signed under oath to declare that I have never used any other name. The question is whether the CIC will accept this declaration as in the UK the "Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages" say that I NEED a Deed Pole to change my Birth Certificate Entry. I currently live in Vienna and wanted to post my application this week and to get a Lawyers letter from UK is difficult!
Thanks AlbaVienna
p.s. The Baptism Certificate is only an extra document that my parents got when I was baptised (it's normal in UK - at least in the 60's!)...I has no choice in the matter! ;-)
You do not need to change or update your birth certificate. If this is a PR application then send them a copy of your current birth certificate, a copy of your stat declaration and an explanatory note. Fill in the immigration forms using the name you currently use.

Calling CIC is a good idea - they will tell you this, but it will be from a proper source rather than 'man on internet'
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

I recall that there is a box on the PR application that actually asks if you have used any other names in the past. I suppose this is mostly for artists etc but I would think that this can be used in your case as well?!

Can you ask CIC in Vienna? They are actually very quick when it comes to processing applications and they might have something like visitor hours?

Good luck!!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Albavienna

I had the same problem which was picked up by CIC. My birth certificate spells my first name as Karon although I have always been known as Karen. I obtained exam certificates, passport, driving licence and marriage certificate all in the spelling with an 'e'. However, CIC noticed and would not accept the birth certificate. I was given two options, either get a new birth certificate with the correct spelling or change my name by deed poll. It was almost impossible to prove that it was a 'typo' on my birth certificate that had not been picked up until noticed by CIC, so the easiest and quickest option was to change my name by deed poll. All your official documentation prior to the deed poll is still valid. I used an online service and was completed within a week.

So my advice would be to change your name by deed poll.

PS: I kept the spelling that had always been used, rather than the one on my birth certificate.

Goodluck

Poppit

Last edited by Poppit; Apr 12th 2010 at 7:23 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Two threads moved/ merged... Hope it still makes sense!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
So why did you delete my reply? You have not transferred it into this post?
Stef

Originally Posted by iaink
Two threads moved/ merged... Hope it still makes sense!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Poppit
Hi Albavienna

I had the same problem which was picked up by CIC. My birth certificate spells my first name as Karon although I have always been known as Karen. I obtained exam certificates, passport, driving licence and marriage certificate all in the spelling with an 'e'. However, CIC noticed and would not accept the birth certificate. I was given two options, either get a new birth certificate with the correct spelling or change my name by deed poll. It was almost impossible to prove that it was a 'typo' on my birth certificate that had not been picked up until noticed by CIC, so the easiest and quickest option was to change my name by deed poll. All your official documentation prior to the deed poll is still valid. I used an online service and was completed within a week.

So my advice would be to change your name by deed poll.

PS: I kept the spelling that had always been used, rather than the one on my birth certificate.

Goodluck

Poppit
Interesting ... that doesn't match the advice I posted (which worked for the person I know that did it).
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
So why did you delete my reply? You have not transferred it into this post?
Stef
Because it was a reply to the second "original post" and said "you posted this twice"? I figured it would just be confusing to have an orhpaned post but can replace it if you think it helps any
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi...first of all thanks to everyone with advice...I guess there is no real firm "Right or Wrong"...I read throught those "Guidlines for Officials" document and there seems to be a bit of flexibility with such issues!

I think to avoid having to resubmit I'll just go the "Deed Poll" way! If all else fails I have a "Statutory Declaration" as well!

Poppitt - can you recommend a company in the UK?

I was hoping this wouldn't be the solution as I wanted to send by courier to CIC in Sydney NS this week as I am nervous about all the talk about the FSW 38 Occupations List changing...I'm a University Lecturer and just cross my fingers that it is still on the fantasy "new" list....cheers
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AlbaVienna

I used UK Deed Poll Services: see link below.
www.deedpoll.org.uk

I am a College Instructor so obtained about 5 copies in case I need them in the future.

Others may have been given different advice or instructions by CIC, however, I was only given the two options so chose the easiest and quickest method to prevent a further delay in our application. (Incidently, it was CIC who picked up the anomally whilst processing our application). I was never given the opportunity of sending a Statutory Declaration.

Goodluck with whatever method you choose.

Poppit

Last edited by Poppit; Apr 12th 2010 at 8:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.