Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to Canada Edmonton

Wanting to move to Canada Edmonton

Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough
Default Wanting to move to Canada Edmonton

Hi , I'm looking at different sites and am getting very confused. Am I right in thinking, you need to find an employer with an LMO in place before you can go.
I keep getting to a page that assesses you for a work permit.
I was in Canada 2008-2010 and everything seams to have changed.
I was a retail trade manager noc 0621 and my spouse is a food service manager. We are looking at Edmonton.
What's the best way forward. Any help and advice greatly appreciated
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to Canada Edmonton

Originally Posted by gjspain
Hi , I'm looking at different sites and am getting very confused. Am I right in thinking, you need to find an employer with an LMO in place before you can go.
I keep getting to a page that assesses you for a work permit.
I was in Canada 2008-2010 and everything seams to have changed.
I was a retail trade manager noc 0621 and my spouse is a food service manager. We are looking at Edmonton.
What's the best way forward. Any help and advice greatly appreciated
As you said, lots of changes in immigration since you last applied!

Unfortunately, one that would have benefitted you and enabled you to apply for PR (the Canadian Experience Class) you've just missed out on, as you'd have had to apply by 2013 if you left in 2010. I assume your wife left at the same time and didn't by any chance work until 2011?

I don't know what websites you're looking at, but really the only one should be the CIC website as anything else isn't official. As I'm sure you'll know by now, if you want a simple 'layman's speak' version, then look at the Wiki on here which is usually pretty accurate. This page is a good place to start - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

But yes, from what you've said, one of you would need a job offer and LMO to get over there, unless there's any pertinent info missing that might suit another visa route. Bear in mind too, that since you first went, employers now have to pay for the LMO, so that's another hurdle to jump as not all of them are prepared to wait, do the paperwork, and pay as well.

Best of luck to you.