Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Canada, where do I begin?

Want to move to Canada, where do I begin?

Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:55 am
Just Joined

dhillon884 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move to Canada, where do I begin?

Probably a very common thread on here - but I would like to move to Canada, but just don't know where to start.

I'm 30, now divorced and would like to move alone. I have a masters degree (gave up my Phd) and work as a Senior consultant within IT (strategy / transformation... not techy) and Project manager for a consultancy firm. I have 3 years experience in this field and a further couple of years of experience working at university. I'm healthy, no criminal record and British born and bred.

I have relatives in Vancouver and Toronto - cousins and aunts.

I called a few sites you find on google and although good, they sound a bit salesy. Points on unofficial sites suggest I have enough - is it out of 67? I get about 75.

But on the official site, my suitability (without a job offer) always comes up with a 'not suitable'.

One of these sites I called said they will find me a job - now I aint sure about how they would do that but he gave a good pitch. I am trying my contacts in Toronto but with no success atm as they won't hire me because I can't work there.

My job does semi fall under the Information Systems Consultant - which is on the 'list' - but I don't know how that would work. Otherwise I hope my job is professional enough to move and join a firm over there.

Where do I begin and what path should I choose?

If I have a job offer - for example say I somehow meet a hiring manager willing to sponsor me - how long would it take to get there...

Is there any chance I can get there without a job offer?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:46 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Canada, where do I begin?

Originally Posted by dhillon884
Probably a very common thread on here - but I would like to move to Canada, but just don't know where to start.

I'm 30, now divorced and would like to move alone. I have a masters degree (gave up my Phd) and work as a Senior consultant within IT (strategy / transformation... not techy) and Project manager for a consultancy firm. I have 3 years experience in this field and a further couple of years of experience working at university. I'm healthy, no criminal record and British born and bred.

I called a few sites you find on google and although good, they sound a bit salesy. Points on unofficial sites suggest I have enough - is it out of 67? I get about 75.

But on the official site, my suitability (without a job offer) always comes up with a 'not suitable'.

One of these sites I called said they will find me a job - now I aint sure about how they would do that but he gave a good pitch. I am trying my contacts in Toronto but with no success atm as they won't hire me because I can't work there.

My job does semi fall under the Information Systems Consultant - which is on the 'list' - but I don't know how that would work. Otherwise I hope my job is professional enough to move and join a firm over there.

Where do I begin and what path should I choose?

If I have a job offer - for example say I somehow meet a hiring manager willing to sponsor me - how long would it take to get there...

Hello and welcome to BE. Start by having a good read of the Wiki section. It's the fourth tab from the left on the blue bar above. You should find the answers to most of your questions there. When you have read it please come back with some more specific questions. Enjoy the read.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Lovely, although no use to you from an immigration point of view other than getting you an extra 5 points if you apply for PR as a FSW.

Points on unofficial sites suggest I have enough - is it out of 67? I get about 75.
Why are you checking your points on unofficial sites? You should only be using the CIC website for that.

Probably because it doesn't sound as though you're eligible as a FSW - although you may have enough points, that's not enough, and you'd also need experience in one of the jobs on 'the list' of 50 eligible occupations. Do you have that?

Forget 'one of these sites', as they're usually scam artists. If you are skilled enough to qualify for a LMIA and TWP in the first place, and for an employer to spend $1000 and go through lots of paperwork and hassle for you, you have no need of anybody else to find you a job.

'Semi' wouldn't be enough, you'd need to prove that you do the duties listed under that NOC code as part of your daily job, and if there's a NOC code that's a better fit then CIC won't accept your app under the Information Systems Consultant occupation.

Approx 3-4 months.

Not unless you really do come under one of the 50 eligible occupations on the FSW list.

Otherwise, realistically your only chance is to get a job offer, and that means not hiring a dodgy firm to charge you for that (and being unlikely to succeed), but spending that money on phone calls or job hunting trips in Canada.

Read the Wiki as suggested above, start with the visa info but also make sure you read the Job Hunting section.

Hopefully that should then help you figure things out.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

christmasoompa
Even when I select a job from the 'list' on the official CIC website, it does not say I am eligible which appears odd to me. Maybe I am selecting the wrong province or should I be stating I want to "move there" or "work there" , and then not sure if I need to be selecting perm or temp. Appears to be a few too many variables.

When I say 'semi' fit in to a job on the list, I mean, I have senior consultant experience in that field as part of my wider consulting experience in IT. I would need to see exactly what they would need, as maybe when reading the nitty gritty about that job spec, my experience may be slightly different area. Going by job title alone,, I have completed projects as an Information System Consultant with about 3-4 years experience.

Do they elaborate further than just a job title? As I expect others may feel they fit in to a job on the list too but without knowing the detailed spec its difficult to know.

Completely understand regarding obtaining employment in Canada. Looks very very tricky from over here. I've looked on local sites and applied but when I am competing against locals with no residency issues then I know it will be an uphill battle.

Last edited by dhillon884; Jul 20th 2014 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

christmasoompa
Even when I select a job from the 'list' on the official CIC website, it does not say I am eligible which appears odd to me.
Can you break your points calculations down for us? Is it possible you don't have enough points? Alternatively, the CIC eligibility calculator may not be working, it's happened before!

When I say 'semi' fit in to a job on the list, I mean, I have senior consultant experience in that field as part of my wider consulting experience in IT. I would need to see exactly what they would need, as maybe when reading the nitty gritty about that job spec, my experience may be slightly different area. Going by job title alone,, I have completed projects as an Information System Consultant with about 3-4 years experience.

Do they elaborate further than just a job title? As I expect others may feel they fit in to a job on the list too but without knowing the detailed spec its difficult to know.
Yes, they very much go on more than just a job title - in fact, your job title means diddly squat in terms of eligibility for the FSW program! As I mentioned above, you'd need to prove that you do the duties listed under that NOC code as part of your daily job (via things like references outlining your duties, job descriptions, employment contract etc). It doesn't sound as though you've actually looked at the full description for NOC, so here you go - Quick Search - Results

So have a look at that, see if you can prove that you do the 'main duties' listed, and that your job matches the opening paragraph, and that there isn't a better fitting NOC for your job.

As for job hunting, you say you've 'looked on local sites and applied', but hopefully by now you've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki and understood how that's very unlikely to result in anything! You can't just sit and apply for jobs via the net if you want to stand any chance of getting a job in Canada, you need to ideally get out there and job hunt in person, or at the very least pick up the phone.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Ok, I've now researched that Job Code in much more detail and I am actually a much better fit than I thought (as oppose to me thinking I was semi-fit). It says Information Systems Consultant but IT consultant (which is my title) is specified in the detail as a role. My degree isn't really mentioned on the list but I did Electronic Engineering which to me is just as similar as doing some on the list (it does say equivalent) - I guess this is where it's not exact, right? But I do all of those duties and have done for past few years.

My points are basically the following
I'm 29, British, Fluent English, Relatives in Canada, Masters Degree from UK, Worked for 5/6 years now in my field.

Just from that alone I appear to clear the points but as you know the official CIC website doesn't state points. Maybe I am saying something wrong on the other questions. My net worth is less then 300,000, I don't want to operate a farm, I've had 0 years work exp in Canada itself, no angel funds (whatever that is).

I wonder what it is - you mentioned its broke before? No matter what I change, it always says no.

With regards to job hunting - I know exactly where you are coming from. Whereas in the UK I deal with a few calls a week from LinkedIN and agencies, I guess I need to be a lot more proactive. I currently think its almost damn right impossible by looking on local sites. First I need to find a job which is perfect match (or more junior than my role), then they have to be able to sponsor, and then I need to beat everyone to an interview who may live across the road (and I'm here in UK).

My best hope of going that route is use my cousins who already live and work in professional fields over there to really go through their networks and find someone willing to hire me.

Last edited by dhillon884; Jul 21st 2014 at 3:25 am.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 4:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Ok, I've now researched that Job Code in much more detail and I am actually a much better fit than I thought (as oppose to me thinking I was semi-fit). It says Information Systems Consultant but IT consultant (which is my title) is specified in the detail as a role. My degree isn't really mentioned on the list but I did Electronic Engineering which to me is just as similar as doing some on the list (it does say equivalent) - I guess this is where it's not exact, right? But I do all of those duties and have done for past few years.

My points are basically the following
I'm 29, British, Fluent English, Relatives in Canada, Masters Degree from UK, Worked for 5/6 years now in my field.

Just from that alone I appear to clear the points but as you know the official CIC website doesn't state points. Maybe I am saying something wrong on the other questions. My net worth is less then 300,000, I don't want to operate a farm, I've had 0 years work exp in Canada itself, no angel funds (whatever that is).

I wonder what it is - you mentioned its broke before? No matter what I change, it always says no.

With regards to job hunting - I know exactly where you are coming from. Whereas in the UK I deal with a few calls a week from LinkedIN and agencies, I guess I need to be a lot more proactive. I currently think its almost damn right impossible by looking on local sites. First I need to find a job which is perfect match (or more junior than my role), then they have to be able to sponsor, and then I need to beat everyone to an interview who may live across the road (and I'm here in UK).

My best hope of going that route is use my cousins who already live and work in professional fields over there to really go through their networks and find someone willing to hire me.
If your job comes under 'the list' of skilled professions then you don't need a job to apply for FSW PR.

THE LIST-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

I tried the 'come to Canada' wizard and it definitely doesn't want to play nicely - but you can work out the points from this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp

Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:11 am
Just Joined

70 points.

It may be more (75), but I am not sure alll my dozens of relatives there count. Closest is my Grandmothers sister. I have a number of aunts and uncles but they are my dad's cousins. I am close to them and visit them a few times and vice versa.

Ok, so apart from the official online eligilibity (which I'm now getting fed up with, but obviously I need it to say 'eligable'), my position looks better...

So next question is where do I start... I just looked at the application section, eeek, theres soooo much. Do applicants usually use someone to look after their case? What are the likely costs of DIY vs using someone.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

70 points.

It may be more (75), but I am not sure alll my dozens of relatives there count. Closest is my Grandmothers sister. I have a number of aunts and uncles but they are my dad's cousins. I am close to them and visit them a few times and vice versa.
None of those relatives will count (a 'real' aunt would though), but it doesn't matter if you've got 70 points anyway.

So next question is where do I start... I just looked at the application section, eeek, theres soooo much. Do applicants usually use someone to look after their case? What are the likely costs of DIY vs using someone.
Most people on the forum do it themselves, unless you've got complicated circumstances it's actually pretty easy. Using a consultant will usually cost you around $3-5000 on top of your application fees, it's really up to you whether you're the kind of person that doesn't mind paperwork and following instructions, or whether you'd just rather hand over that hassle to somebody else.

HTH.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Timeframe?

On the official site it states 27 months... Eeek! Will I know well in advance if my application IS going to be successful or not?

I'm getting excited. Obviously nothing I can think of is complicated about my case. My divorce should be finalised by then... not that that is a factor?! No criminal record or convictions nor cautions (although an arrest for a few hours before let go over a false allegation - doesn't appear on Scottish Disclosure).

So next I think I need to do an English test. Anyone got any links for that and how I do it?

I think I also need to get an Educational Credential Assessment for my degrees from Nottingham and Loughborough University?

Last edited by dhillon884; Jul 21st 2014 at 5:30 am.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 5:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Timeframe?

On the official site it states 27 months... Eeek! Will I know well in advance if my application IS going to be successful or not?
Yes, that's the current processing time, you can keep an eye on the CIC website to see how that changes as you go along.

You'll get a 'Positive Eligibility Review' (or a negative one, but let's hope not!) about 3 months after sending your app, when it's transferred to the London visa office, but that's just for the initial checks i.e. if you have done work in an eligible NOC, and if you've included everything in your package you should have done. Then they'll do more in-depth checking and you won't know then if your app will be successful or not. As long as you include everything you should do, and plenty of proof that you've done the duties required, you should be ok - assuming you don't fail the medical, or background checks etc.

So next I think I need to do an English test. Anyone got any links for that and how I do it?
I could give you the link. But I'm afraid I'm not going to be that kind, I'm going to make you find it yourself on the CIC website - all the info you need is there, and it's far better that you find it yourself and understand it, then just follow a link I give you!

I think I also need to get an Educational Credential Assessment for my degrees from Nottingham and Loughborough University?
Yep, but you need to go to an authorised credential assessment agency to do it, it's not something you can get done via the universities. Again, the CIC website gives you clear instructions on this, and links to the agencies you can use.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:21 am
Banned

luqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond repute

if you have enough points and you JDs matches with one of the NOC listed for 2014 NOC list you must start asap with your credential assessment and IELTS, rest is very easy.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:33 am
Banned

luqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond repute

Timeframe?

I'm getting excited. Obviously nothing I can think of is complicated about my case. My divorce should be finalised by then... not that that is a factor?! No criminal record or convictions nor cautions (although an arrest for a few hours before let go over a false allegation - doesn't appear on Scottish Disclosure).

yes officially it is 27 months but i know hundreds of applicants who got their visa in 1 year as promised by the immigration minister, it usually depends on security checks and BG checks people from UK have got it in 6 months even but again it depends on case to case. in this new immigration system no one have waited more than 14 months.

for the english test, you can book an IELTS test and take your test, only general module of the IELTS is applicable. if you need help in IELTS just let me know i can provide you practice material.

for credential assessment as it is very easy designated authorities are WES, ICAS, CES utoronto, WES is the fastest as i got my credential assessment in a month including courier despatch and delivery time
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks... I had just read up on all of this and gathered I need the IELTS test, Police report, Credential Assessment and a medical assessment.

I can get a test in August which isn't too bad.

Looked through the IMM5612E document which is the checklist.. It looks daunting but I suppose realistically it isn't too much!

Am I right in thinking if everything is above board then there is NO reason for my application to get rejected? For example, does it ever get based on competition ? For example, would they look at my 70 points and compare with someone with 71 or 75 points and reject mine. Or once I have determined my points, I am safe as long as I have been honest and can proove everything.

I'm still not getting the 'eligible' result on the official site - Not sure what exactly I'm writing wrong or if it is indeed broke!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:11 am
Banned

Thanks... I had just read up on all of this and gathered I need the IELTS test, Police report, Credential Assessment and a medical assessment.

I can get a test in August which isn't too bad.

Looked through the IMM5612E document which is the checklist.. It looks daunting but I suppose realistically it isn't too much!

Am I right in thinking if everything is above board then there is NO reason for my application to get rejected? For example, does it ever get based on competition ? For example, would they look at my 70 points and compare with someone with 71 or 75 points and reject mine. Or once I have determined my points, I am safe as long as I have been honest and can proove everything.

I'm still not getting the 'eligible' result on the official site - Not sure what exactly I'm writing wrong or if it is indeed broke!
remember, you have to be fast as there is a capacity of each NOC that is 1000 per NOC.

and competition, no never, they would not compare your points with other neither your experience, or anything. if you have 67 or more points and you are honest with that i am 100% sure you will go through it successfully. and the eligible result on official result is like you can only calculate your points if that is 67 you are eligibile, PCC at initial stage is optional, medical assessment is not required at this stage, it will be done once your processing gets started at Visa office which is london visa office.

P.S read your inbox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.