want to move to canada

Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

lousco will become famous soon enoughlousco will become famous soon enough
Default want to move to canada

Hi everyone,
im Laura 28 and my husband is called Scott 31 we have two children aged 3 and 8.Recently we appiled for citizenship and immigration to apply for a skilled work visa and were turned down on the points system it was done over the internet and we were asked questions about ourselves could anyone please tell me how reliable these web sites are its called migration expert.com and was free.We are so desperate to relocate to canada can anyone please give us some advise,my husband is a very experience printer with 15 years under his belt are there many jobs for this trade? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
LAURA
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to move to canada

If you don't meet the points score you've really got two options: find a job that qualifies for a visa, or go through the Provincial Nominee Programs, which have different points systems so you may well qualify even if you don't meet the requirements for the normal system.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:02 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousco
Hi everyone,
im Laura 28 and my husband is called Scott 31 we have two children aged 3 and 8.Recently we appiled for citizenship and immigration to apply for a skilled work visa and were turned down on the points system it was done over the internet and we were asked questions about ourselves could anyone please tell me how reliable these web sites are its called migration expert.com and was free.We are so desperate to relocate to canada can anyone please give us some advise,my husband is a very experience printer with 15 years under his belt are there many jobs for this trade? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
LAURA
try the one on the CIC website. Having said that they are usually clones of the one on CIC.

Your best bet if you are low on points is to either obtain a AEO approved job prior to your submission or go out on a work permit with approved LMO and then apply for residency after that. Either way, points will be added to your application and may take you over the threshold.

Paul

PS mark beat me to it. Either way, read up as much as you can, do your legwork and hunt down that job.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:05 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You didn't apply for anything yet, you only did a free assessment. You cannot apply for immigration over the Internet. Learn about the process at the source here, never through third party websites:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

All online self-assessments are designed to assess only major selection factors and as they are all computer based forms and provide generic results without human intervention, thus they cannot look deep into each individual case and see if and what options may be available for candidate. You should ask one of Authorized Immigration Representatives who offer free assessments (personal, not using web based computerized form) for full evaluation of your chances and possible options. You may contact me as well for one.

As for printers - printers are not on the occupations under pressure list in any Province that publishes one, but it doesn't mean that there are no jobs.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:59 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

People are throwing abbreviations at you. If you don't know what they stand for, you can find out from the BE Wiki article on Canadian abbreviations.

I think it helps to read the BE Wiki article called Canadian Immigration Overview. I take Andrew's point that the only reliable website at the end of the day is Citizenship and Immigration Canada's (CIC's) website. After reading the Canadian Immigration Overview page, I definitely think you should read CIC's website.

What the BE Wiki article provides, that the CIC website does not provide, is a commentary about the advantages and disadvantages of different courses of action. For example, it lists some of the pros and cons of moving to Canada on a temporary work permit.

The BE Wiki article also mentions the implications that a given choice may have on another area of life, for example, the fact that children of work permit holders have the right to attend school in Canada.

Finally, in numerous places the BE Wiki article provides links to relevant parts of the CIC website.

The issue of jobs also has been mentioned. When it comes to job hunting, it would help you to read the BE Wiki article on Careers in Canada.

You really need to read the web pages to which I've referred you. I mean REALLY read them. Read them, and then read them again.

Become thoroughly familiar with all this stuff before you pay anyone for anything. When you're very familiar with the topic, you'll be able to make much better judgements about when to use consulting services (if you choose to use them at all) and, if you do use them, whom to hire.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
People are throwing abbreviations at you. If you don't know what they stand for, you can find out from the BE Wiki article on Canadian abbreviations.

I think it helps to read the BE Wiki article called Canadian Immigration Overview. I take Andrew's point that the only reliable website at the end of the day is Citizenship and Immigration Canada's (CIC's) website. After reading the Canadian Immigration Overview page, I definitely think you should read CIC's website.

What the BE Wiki article provides, that the CIC website does not provide, is a commentary about the advantages and disadvantages of different courses of action. For example, it lists some of the pros and cons of moving to Canada on a temporary work permit.

The BE Wiki article also mentions the implications that a given choice may have on another area of life, for example, the fact that children of work permit holders have the right to attend school in Canada.

Finally, in numerous places the BE Wiki article provides links to relevant parts of the CIC website.

The issue of jobs also has been mentioned. When it comes to job hunting, it would help you to read the BE Wiki article on Careers in Canada.

You really need to read the web pages to which I've referred you. I mean REALLY read them. Read them, and then read them again.

Become thoroughly familiar with all this stuff before you pay anyone for anything. When you're very familiar with the topic, you'll be able to make much better judgements about when to use consulting services (if you choose to use them at all) and, if you do use them, whom to hire.
Judy - wonderful advice well delivered - I have been wanting to go to Canada for the best part of a decade and have been making myself aware of the requirements etc. which has helped me no end now that the time has come when circumstances are all in place.

Laura - the answer is to read up about all the options, you will be amazed at what can be done.

Rob.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:54 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
If you don't meet the points score you've really got two options: find a job that qualifies for a visa, or go through the Provincial Nominee Programs, which have different points systems so you may well qualify even if you don't meet the requirements for the normal system.
...or you could learn French (you get extra points for that) but if you're anything like me getting a job offer before you apply would be much easier! And if you really don't meet the points score, concentrate on finding a job and then try one of the Provincial Nominee Programs. They are better anyway as they can take under 6 months to get Permanent Residency instead of waiting the usual 3-4 years.

Have you visited Canada yet? Where abouts are you thinking of settling?