Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Voluntarily give up PR status -> apply for TWP -> how long??

Voluntarily give up PR status -> apply for TWP -> how long??

Old Feb 9th 2016, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Voluntarily give up PR status -> apply for TWP -> how long??

Hi guys,

so I am possibly getting a new job in Canada (currently living in Germany), I hold PR status in Canada. As my time outside of Canada has surpassed the allowable period I would quite possibly be issued with a removal notice upon entering Canada again. The other factor is that I would like to bring my common-law spouse with me to Canada, and the PR sponsorship route just seems like it would take way too long (in particular because I would first need to catch up on my "days spent inside Canada" before filing an application to sponsor her).

My idea is therefore to voluntarily give up my PR status and apply for a work permit, thereby giving her the chance to get an open work permit that is tied to mine, a much faster route to start working asap and be able to move asap.

I sent an application in November to have my PR card renewed. I was asked to provide additional documents. In fact I would like to just withdraw my application for the new card, seeing how I won't be needing it.

In order to be able to get the work permit I understand that I would first have to voluntarily rescind my PR status. Does anybody have an idea how long it takes for this to be accepted? I am a bit worried that if the processing time for rescinding the status is too long the company might not be interested in waiting that long for me to start the process of applying for the LMO/TWP.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 9th 2016, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntarily give up PR status -> apply for TWP -> how long??

TBH nobody could give you an accurate timeframe if you sent in voluntary relinquishment but my guess would be months not weeks. Its not a regular occurrence.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
months not weeks. Its not a regular occurrence.
definitely not the answer I wanted to hear :/

I get that it's not a regular occurrence, but shouldn't it go pretty fast seeing how nothing really needs to be checked or verified really? I am just giving up the status. I appreciate your reply, I just hope it goes fast
Old Feb 9th 2016, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

hard to gauge timelines - congratulations on the job
Old Feb 9th 2016, 8:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kleinluka
definitely not the answer I wanted to hear :/

I get that it's not a regular occurrence, but shouldn't it go pretty fast seeing how nothing really needs to be checked or verified really? I am just giving up the status. I appreciate your reply, I just hope it goes fast
Same department who process immigrants coming into the country. They likley priorortise resources to those coming in vs those who did not stay.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 11:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
TBH nobody could give you an accurate timeframe if you sent in voluntary relinquishment but my guess would be months not weeks. Its not a regular occurrence.
FL, could he voluntarily rescind his PR at the port of entry per ENF23 section 7:10 and then apply for a work permit?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 9th 2016 at 11:58 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
FL, could he voluntarily rescind his PR at the port of entry per ENF23 section 7:10 and then apply for a work permit?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf23-eng.pdf

Not really as CIC make the final determination once they receive all documentation from CBSA then make the decision and enter into GCMS.
CBSA at a POE will only forward the information to CIC as CBSA have no legislative authority to take away PR status. Even if they signed the form at the POE they are still a PR until CIC make the decision.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just sent it to the Vienna office. Now the wait begins.... ಥ_ಥ
Old Mar 12th 2016, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Update: Got the confirmation letter today, dated March 9th... They received the application on February 16th, so it took less than a month. Nice!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kleinluka
Update: Got the confirmation letter today, dated March 9th... They received the application on February 16th, so it took less than a month. Nice!
Bingo but for others reading and thinking of doing the same dependent which office you submit to could take longer.
TBH once a visa office receives such a request it should be simple and less time consuming. Great you want to voluntary relinquish PR and you have signed off on it then sign into GCMS enter details and send out the letter.