Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visitor visa and studying through distance learning

Visitor visa and studying through distance learning

Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Roadrunner1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor visa and studying through distance learning

Does anyone know if I can study through distance learning while in Canada on a visitor visa?
I know on a visitor visa it states 'unless authorised, prohibited from attending any educational institution, or taking any academic, professional or vocational training course.' Does that include an on-line distance learning course from a UK establishment?
The reason I'm confused is that in the guide for applying for a study permit under the section...Are there activities for which a study permit is not required? one of the activities is 'completing a distance learning program'. So if I don't need a study permit to do the course does that mean it's okay to do it on a visitor visa? Or does the condition on the visitor visa take precedence?
Thanks to any one who can shed some light on this for me.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor visa and studying through distance learning

Yes you can do distance learning while on a visitor visa.

Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course. For example, if a foreign national authorized to work in Canada is prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance learning courses.

However, some distance learning courses include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g., special tutorials or the writing of final exams). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in-Canada portion is less than six months. The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only.
Study permits: Other considerations
Old Sep 20th 2014, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Roadrunner1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visitor visa and studying through distance learning

Thank you Former Lancastrian, that's really helpful!