Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visitor stay expired but MEDICAL surgery means have to out stay...what to do?

Visitor stay expired but MEDICAL surgery means have to out stay...what to do?

Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

beaker23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Visitor stay expired but MEDICAL surgery means have to out stay...what to do?

Hi there,
Ive worked under a work permit here in Canada twice, however I just came back in January for a holiday under a visitor stay. Upon entering Canada I stated I would be leaving on 23rd March. However, I broke my back, have had major surgery and am not allowed to fly until May 1st. I wanted to know who I am supposed to inform that I have to extend my stay as a visitor. I have all the necessary documents from my surgeon. I also wanted to know what restrictions were on crossing the USA border, as I'd like to go to Seattle for the night in a few weeks, but want to make sure I can get back into Canada.
Thanks!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitor stay expired but MEDICAL surgery means have to out stay...what to do?

Hi

Originally Posted by beaker23
Hi there,
Ive worked under a work permit here in Canada twice, however I just came back in January for a holiday under a visitor stay. Upon entering Canada I stated I would be leaving on 23rd March. However, I broke my back, have had major surgery and am not allowed to fly until May 1st. I wanted to know who I am supposed to inform that I have to extend my stay as a visitor. I have all the necessary documents from my surgeon. I also wanted to know what restrictions were on crossing the USA border, as I'd like to go to Seattle for the night in a few weeks, but want to make sure I can get back into Canada.
Thanks!

When you entered was your passport just stamped with no date written in? If so you were give 6 months. If a date was written in or you were issued with a document with an expiry date of 23/03/12, then you are out of status. If you are out of status, then you either have to leave, or apply to Vegreville for restoration and pay the fee. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp If you leave for the US there is never a guarantee that you will be re-admitted.