Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

'visitor' with job offers in Canada, unable to seal the deal

'visitor' with job offers in Canada, unable to seal the deal

Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

trumpt is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 'visitor' with job offers in Canada, unable to seal the deal

Hi,

Everything seemed to be going straightforward in coming over to Canada with my Canadian girlfriend (apart from the very negative experience coming into the country as a 'visitor' for 6 months - check what you need to show as proof!!). I had two job offers within a month, and deciding the best option for me, I was then expecting a job offer so that I could go to Buffalo to get my work visa...

This is when it started to go wrong, 3 weeks later, and they finally decided that as they hadn't advertised the post in a national newspaper, they couldn't go through the LMO, and it was going to be 'too expensive' to run ads... They were advised by immigration lawyers, which seemed to contradict what my immigration lawyer was telling me. (They also didn't know about the fast track visa - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp? - which I thought that my job should have been applicable for).

So I'm now very frustrated at all the mis-information, starting a sponsored application, and got a few more calls with other firms to weigh up my options. (as had the immigration lawyer told us about the bunac scheme for non-students I would have applied for this at the start of the year).

I was wondering if I can incorporate a company, and employ myself as a consultant for IT consultancy work (which I think I should be able to pick up - as I have made a few friends/contacts over here; its seemingly impossible to get a job without knowing someone in a company...).

Any advice appreciated...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:47 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'visitor' with job offers in Canada, unable to seal the deal

Originally Posted by trumpt
I was wondering if I can incorporate a company, and employ myself as a consultant for IT consultancy work (which I think I should be able to pick up - as I have made a few friends/contacts over here; its seemingly impossible to get a job without knowing someone in a company...)..
It won't work. Employer must be in business for at least 12 months and have other full time employees for the same period before being eligible to apply for LMO and/or hire foreign worker.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'visitor' with job offers in Canada, unable to seal the deal

For future reference or if you can persuade previous job offer, you can advertise for free on http://www.jobbank.ca. My company also could advise for free on the professional body's website for my indistry as well as the company's own website.

It's best being informed yourself as information and requirements by CIC change and also in case a potential employer is put-off my myths about the visa application process such as expensive ads in national newspapers (although this is a good way if they don't quibble about the money).