Visiting Canada with Reckless Op

Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Felony is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Visiting Canada with Reckless Op

I researched the forums to make sure this wasn't a repeat question for some time. As I didn't find anything (but it's probably here), I wish for your advice with my dilemma..

In June 08 I was pulled over and deemed impaired and charged with OVI. I'm 20 years old. The prosecutor reduced it (took a plea) to reckless op, driving left to center. I didn't lose my license for any amount of time, paid my fines, and took 4 points on my license. This is my first and only traffic violation.

Spring break is approaching and friends are planning a trip to Windsor and some time ago a friend was turned down when he tried to enter, but he was convicted of a DUI. Will I have the same result, because I know even if you aren't charged with DUI it stays on your record..

Thanks
(Sorry for being a first time poster, but first timers can still give karma right? hoho)

Last edited by Felony; Mar 17th 2009 at 5:25 am.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 11:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Canada with Reckless Op

Hi Felony and welcome to the forum.

I have no idea what OVI is, can you enlighten me?

Basically, if you have been convicted of something, then you are inadmissable to Canada until at leat 5 years have passed since the end of sentence, when you can then apply for Criminal Rehab.

Have a read of the following from the CIC website for more info....................http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

So it would appear that you won't be eligible to apply for criminal rehab until June 2013 at the earliest, so will be inadmissible to Canada until after that date I'm afraid.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, do check that out though as I'm not sure what your conviction is for (although think criminal rehab applies to anything, no matter how minor). But hopefully the CIC website will answer it for you.

Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:51 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Felony
I researched the forums to make sure this wasn't a repeat question for some time. As I didn't find anything (but it's probably here), I wish for your advice with my dilemma..

In June 08 I was pulled over and deemed impaired and charged with OVI. I'm 20 years old. The prosecutor reduced it (took a plea) to reckless op, driving left to center. I didn't lose my license for any amount of time, paid my fines, and took 4 points on my license. This is my first and only traffic violation.

Spring break is approaching and friends are planning a trip to Windsor and some time ago a friend was turned down when he tried to enter, but he was convicted of a DUI. Will I have the same result, because I know even if you aren't charged with DUI it stays on your record..

Thanks
(Sorry for being a first time poster, but first timers can still give karma right? hoho)
Afraid I dont know what OVI or reckless OP is either but...

You need to find out how the equivalent offense is punishable in Canada. If it is prosecuted by way if indictment then you are inadmissible until you reach the prescribed periods for rehabilitation etc. If the offense is prosecuted by way of summary conviction then you are not inadmissible provide there is only a single offense (two summary convictions still make you inadmissible).
Old Mar 17th 2009, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Felony is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys - OVI would be operating a vehicle under the influence. But I wasn't convicted of that, it was dropped. I was basically asking if a Reckless Operation was considered dangerous driving in Canada, and if that would be inadmissable.. That is I went 'past' the center margin in the middle of the road and was served Reckless Operation which is less hefty than an OVI.