Visit Canada without landing?

Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visit Canada without landing?

Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum, although I have been lurking for months now.

My partner and I have applied for and been granted Canadian PR. Our visas expire in June 2005.

My plan is to keep working for the same (US) company, but telecommuting from Vancouver as much as possible. Even when we're living in Canada, I'll be out of the country a fair amount of time, travelling to the main office in the US and to meetings all over the world. I don't want to start the clock on the five years before we actually move to Canada, because time spent outside of Canada will not be spent travelling on behalf of a Canadian employer and will therefore not count for keeping PR status.

Does anyone know whether it will be possible for me to visit Canada on business WITHOUT triggering the landing process?

Some possibly relevant details: I'm a US citizen, so I could enter Canada for a short visit without a visa--even without a passport, if I remember correctly. Should I therefore enter Canada just showing my US driver's licence and birth certificate, or would doing so when I possess an immigrant visa constitute a fraud on Canadian Customs or CIC?

My partner is a citizen of the Republic of China (Taiwan), so he requires a visa to visit Canada. His visitor visa was cancelled when the immigrant visa was put in his passport. So I am therefore assuming that he CANNOT enter Canada without landing, because his only valid visa, the immigrant visa, is single-entry. Is that correct?
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: Visit Canada without landing?

I am a US citizen and I got my visa in late November and didn't land until late February. I made two trips to Canada as a visitor before I landed. Unless they have changed policy since, you shouldn't have any problem.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's good news. When you visited without landing, did you arrive by car or by plane? Did you show your passport with the visa in it?

Can anyone confirm or contradict my guess that my Taiwanese partner can't visit Canada without landing?
Old Dec 14th 2004, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Thanks, that's good news. When you visited without landing, did you arrive by car or by plane? Did you show your passport with the visa in it?

Can anyone confirm or contradict my guess that my Taiwanese partner can't visit Canada without landing?
If your Taiwanese partner would need a visa to enter Canada (not a permanent resident visa, but a visitor's visa), then the partner would still need such a visa if not landing.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by MrBosco
If your Taiwanese partner would need a visa to enter Canada (not a permanent resident visa, but a visitor's visa), then the partner would still need such a visa if not landing.
Maybe I missed it, but who is the principal applicant? If your partner is not the principal, then you are going to have to "land" before s/he does, or at the same time.

PMM
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

I neglected to say that I am the principal applicant. When we actually land, we will land together. My original question, though, was about whether either or both of us could visit Canada WITHOUT landing (and thereby starting the five-year clock).
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:19 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I neglected to say that I am the principal applicant. When we actually land, we will land together. My original question, though, was about whether either or both of us could visit Canada WITHOUT landing (and thereby starting the five-year clock).
You can, but as your partner requires a visitor visa, then s/he can't. As long as you land within the validity of visa, you should be ok.

PMM
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

newbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nice

I am a principal Applicant and Indian Citizen.
I have been given PR Visa stamped and valid till June 2004.

My company wants me to go to Canada.

Can I apply for work permit visa and get it
without getting cancelled on Visa stamped PR Visa ?