Wikiposts

Visas/Passports

Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of
Default Visas/Passports

Just a quick questions does anyone know once you get citizenship in Canada can you return back to the UK at any point if it doesnt work out in Canada.

thanks
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:14 am
Just Joined

zoaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visas/Passports

Originally Posted by lisadd
Just a quick questions does anyone know once you get citizenship in Canada can you return back to the UK at any point if it doesnt work out in Canada.

thanks
hi, ya u can .., but not on PR .....only when u r citizen ...u can c that in more detail on CIC
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

lisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud oflisadd has much to be proud of

Hi thanx for your prompt response

I am confused now beacuse i thought PR (Permanent residency i presume) and Citizenship were the same thing

can you explain this a bit more please

Many thanx

Originally Posted by zoaxe
hi, ya u can .., but not on PR .....only when u r citizen ...u can c that in more detail on CIC
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisadd
Hi thanx for your prompt response

I am confused now beacuse i thought PR (Permanent residency i presume) and Citizenship were the same thing

can you explain this a bit more please

Many thanx
Hi lisadd,

One can lead to the other. So, for example, we have Permanent Resident status. In order to maintain that status, we need to be here for 2 years out of every 5 (not consecutive days - we can go home or whererever, for holidays, etc). After being on Canadian soil for 3 years (others will correct us if we have that timespan wrong as we haven't checked our facts before writing this), again, after deducting any days we were out of the country, we can submit an application for citizenship. Eventually that gets processed, you go take what we understand to be a fairly simple and short test, you attend a ceremony and on the back of that, you are granted citizenship. You don't lose your British citizenship at that point. As rules stand, you retain both and again, as rules stand, you can then pretty much come and go as you please.

Hope that makes sense as the kettles boiling and I (Eamonn) haven't had my first cup of coffee yet!

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Getting There, you got the facts right, the only thing I would add is that to get a citizenship you need to be in Canada for 3 years out of 4. Where as to maintain your PR, you need to be in Canada for 2 years out of 5 (as pointed out by Getting There).

Ray
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raymasa
Getting There, you got the facts right, the only thing I would add is that to get a citizenship you need to be in Canada for 3 years out of 4. Where as to maintain your PR, you need to be in Canada for 2 years out of 5 (as pointed out by Getting There).

Ray
Thanks for the clarification Ray.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:04 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

But to answer the original question a little better...

As a permanent resident, you can absolutely return to the UK any time you want if Canada doesn't work out for you (assuming you're a British citizen).

The only issue is whether you'd then be able to move to Canada *again* in the future if you change your mind.

Once you're a citizen, you can do that as many times as your sanity and finances allow. Permanent residence is gone (with a few exceptions) once you spend more than three years out of five outside Canada.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
But to answer the original question a little better...

As a permanent resident, you can absolutely return to the UK any time you want if Canada doesn't work out for you (assuming you're a British citizen).

The only issue is whether you'd then be able to move to Canada *again* in the future if you change your mind.

Once you're a citizen, you can do that as many times as your sanity and finances allow. Permanent residence is gone (with a few exceptions) once you spend more than three years out of five outside Canada.
Many thanks for answeing my question, i understand now what you have put and it makes sense cheers lisa