Visa for US of A or not.

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa for US of A or not.

The first time I drove down to the States I showed my british passport and pr card, got asked a couple of questions and was told to enjoy my day.

2nd trip I went down, got asked "when was the last time I visited the states" I said 5 weeks ago. Then got interrogated for not having a stamp or visa in my passport due to there incompetence. Which I pointed out to the officer questioning me at the time. Muppet. I then got sent in to the office to get $6 visa for a 3 months. Get finger printed, mug shot, and rubber glove treatment.

Now my OH, best mate worked for the canadian border services and she said I don't need a visa for USA as I'm a PR. And she said the USA border officers don't know what there doing.

I will be travelling down this weekend to spend some of my canadian monopoly money.

Just want to know if I need a visa or not.

Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa for US of A or not.

Well if your mate who worked for CBSA gave you that information and is no longer working for us was he sacked for incompetence and not knowing that UK citizens regardless of PR status in Canada are part of the Visa Waiver programme and require either an ESTA if flying or arriving by boat into the USA or an I94 waiver if travelling by land.
Being pedantic its not a visa per se but they waive the visa (an actual visa) if you are a UK citizen and pay the $6 for the 90 day I94 waiver.
Old Apr 4th 2015, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Well if your mate who worked for CBSA gave you that information and is no longer working for us was he sacked for incompetence and not knowing that UK citizens

No not at all. Left to pursue other avenues in life

regardless of PR status in Canada are part of the Visa Waiver programme and require either an ESTA if flying or arriving by boat into the USA or an I94 waiver if travelling by land.

I94 is the one I was enquiring about. Which the US officer didn't give me the 1st time went down. Nor did he give me a stamp either. Which gave me the impression it might be treated the same as a canadian passport when I crossed over

Being pedantic its not a visa per se but they waive the visa (an actual visa) if you are a UK citizen and pay the $6 for the 90 day I94 waiver.

I just wanted to double check if I need one or not. So I know what's going on when I get to the border. rather then been in a state of confusion. Thank you for clarifying this

Last edited by MrHyperPants; Apr 4th 2015 at 2:33 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You need to complete I-94W processing at the border.

By the way, did you give the paper I-94W to Canadian immigration when you returned to Canada last time? If not, your US exit may not have been recorded properly and you can be be flagged as an overstay. You'll find out if that happened the next time you try to enter the US.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

By the way, did you give the paper I-94W to Canadian immigration when you returned to Canada last time? If not, your US exit may not have been recorded properly and you can be be flagged as an overstay. You'll find out if that happened the next time you try to enter the US.
Is that a real thing? I have no idea how many of those I've kept and it's never been an issue.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
Is that a real thing? I have no idea how many of those I've kept and it's never been an issue.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94
Old Apr 6th 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the same! until one day passing over into the usa......not a nice experience.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 10:48 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes they don't say much, other times they get a bit flustered because, apparently, people want to stay in the US longer than they should. I've never understood the appeal myself.

I've experienced the "oh, you should have handed this in" method and the "you're an overstayer, come with me" approach...which I found quite funny being that I was obviously outside the US when I stumped up at the border to come back in.

As with most things CBP related it's more bark than bite. Just pay the $6 again and be on your way.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
2nd trip I went down, got asked "when was the last time I visited the states" I said 5 weeks ago. Then got interrogated for not having a stamp or visa in my passport due to there incompetence. Which I pointed out to the officer questioning me at the time. Muppet. I then got sent in to the office to get $6 visa for a 3 months. Get finger printed, mug shot, and rubber glove treatment.
You shouldn't have gotten a 3 month visa but allowed to enter the US for 90 days at a time for 2 years under the visa waiver program. If you are not Canadian, then you need to enter under the visa waiver program or apply for a B-2 visa which is issued at the US consulate and not at the border.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

The first time I went down they didn't issue me anything. Just said enjoy your day.

2nd time I went down they gave an orange post it note on the wind screen and send me in to the office. They gave me a white piece of paper in my passport which was valid for 90 days.

3rd time (this weekend) I need another waiver as the last one expired. I get sent to the office again, as expected. The officer at the counter kept going on about ESTA. I said I don't know what you mean. He then says, did you fill out a form online? Also says did you pay $14? I said no, I paid $6 last time I came in here. Turns out they gave me the wrong waiver (ESTA)on my 2nd visit to the border office. So 3rd time lucky I finally get a I-W94.

I find it ironic that the USA can spend millions, if not billions of dollars on blowing up little countries. Yet they have a backwards system for there borders by stapling a piece of paper in your passport and can't tell if you have left or not.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:34 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

when you get your I-94W and pay the $6... if you plan to return within the 90 days just keep it in your passport...
HOwever, if you dont plan to return to the states within the 90 days... pull it out of your passport and hand it to the Canadian border agent...

First time I went through this process, I wasnt aware I had to pull it out of my passport myself and hand it over Separately as I was more concerned about getting my IEC work permit....
The next time I went to the States, the border agent wasnt nice and it was a very uncomfortable situation.. told me I could have a warrant out for me as Ive over-stayed... asked if I could read English... etc etc
Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yeah snuggs I know the feeling ,my little mistake was being in an work accident and not being in any state to return the I-94w within the 90 days (not knowing I could post it to iirc kentucky). I received the full overstayer treatment with gun and all and the guard did not like when I tried to explain if I was overstaying in the USA then why am I coming in from Canada? it got so tense that when I was told to assume the position for handcuffs another officer intervened ,the original officer went into the backroom and the new officer took over ,,was told to in no uncertain ways to hand it in if not returning to the USA ,LESSON LEARNED. took place in a small border crossing in rural MB.in 09.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
yeah snuggs I know the feeling ,my little mistake was being in an work accident and not being in any state to return the I-94w within the 90 days (not knowing I could post it to iirc kentucky). I received the full overstayer treatment with gun and all and the guard did not like when I tried to explain if I was overstaying in the USA then why am I coming in from Canada? it got so tense that when I was told to assume the position for handcuffs another officer intervened ,the original officer went into the backroom and the new officer took over ,,was told to in no uncertain ways to hand it in if not returning to the USA ,LESSON LEARNED. took place in a small border crossing in rural MB.in 09.
I forgot to hand mine in once while not crossing for a while, i was advised to defuse the situation by handing it in at Winnipeg airport lol a few weeks later when i resumed crossing at Emerson i was asked about it and told them i handed it in at the airport, gave me a new one no problems but i didnt risk that again and made sure they where handed in on time.
Being from MB you may have heard about one guy who i know who's I94 ran out while in the USA ? He was checked down near the mexican border randomly and got an all inclusive stay at an american jail, nearly kicked out direct to the UK but someone in Canada intervened and he was (eventually) sent back to canada.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

aye did he drive a greenish colour motor? remember speaking to same company drivers telling me what had just happened . aye the airport yep once I went on to my set SKAB runs I handed my last i94w in at the wee window on the left up the corridor.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
aye did he drive a greenish colour motor? remember speaking to same company drivers telling me what had just happened . aye the airport yep once I went on to my set SKAB runs I handed my last i94w in at the wee window on the left up the corridor.
Yes it was a green truck, lol poor guy was 100LBs soaking wet in an american jail too lol He managed to cross with just a couple of days left on his I94, he reckoned it was american officers fault but i dont think its up to them to remind you to renew it though but either way it ended badly for him.
I have crossed once south and once north on just my F.A.S.T. card which is what it was originally meant for. But commercial crossing is different to normal crossing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.