visa time scales

Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Dave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant future
Default visa time scales

Hi Everyone,

We would be very grateful if anyone out there could help us with a question on time scales from issue of visa to "landing" in Canada ?

After 2.5 long years of waiting we have been informed that our visa application for skilled worker will be looked at in 90 days {we are sending the update package tomorrow}.

Due to the long wait our son is now 1 year into his GCSE studies and will sit his exams in July 2009....meaning the earliest we could "land" would be August 2009.

We were always under the impression that you had 3 years to use your visa {ie 2 years residency in 5}, but I think we might have got the wrong end of the stick and after checking the CIC web site it looks like we will only have 12 months to use the visa....or loose it !!

I know we might be worrying unnecessarily as CIC will probably not complete their work and issue before July 2008...but hey why stop worrying now.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Dave and Jo.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visa time scales

Originally Posted by Dave and Jo
Hi Everyone,

We would be very grateful if anyone out there could help us with a question on time scales from issue of visa to "landing" in Canada ?

After 2.5 long years of waiting we have been informed that our visa application for skilled worker will be looked at in 90 days {we are sending the update package tomorrow}.

Due to the long wait our son is now 1 year into his GCSE studies and will sit his exams in July 2009....meaning the earliest we could "land" would be August 2009.

We were always under the impression that you had 3 years to use your visa {ie 2 years residency in 5}, but I think we might have got the wrong end of the stick and after checking the CIC web site it looks like we will only have 12 months to use the visa....or loose it !!

I know we might be worrying unnecessarily as CIC will probably not complete their work and issue before July 2008...but hey why stop worrying now.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Dave and Jo.
My understanding is that you have 1 year from the date of your medical to land and activate your visa. The you have to spend 2 in every 5 years on a rolling basis resident in Canada to keep PR.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...cy_Obligations is the best place to look!

I'm not sure so it may be wise to have a search but the 90 day letter doesn't necessarily mean that your file will be looked at in 90 days - it may take longer...
Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant future

Hi Beebop,

Thanks very much for your info.

When you say "1 year to land", could we "land" within the 12 months of the visa issue date to do a final info gathering trip for a month and then make sure we move over within the time period to spend at least 2 years in the next 5 living in Canada ?

I know what you mean re the 90 day letter and as you said it doesnt mean they will start processing it in March.....we are not that lucky.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Beebop,

Thanks very much for your info.

When you say "1 year to land", could we "land" within the 12 months of the visa issue date to do a final info gathering trip for a month and then make sure we move over within the time period to spend at least 2 years in the next 5 living in Canada ?

I know what you mean re the 90 day letter and as you said it doesnt mean they will start processing it in March.....we are not that lucky.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498873

Have a read - not sure it's quite the same thing but may help....
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point

You have twelve months from the date of your medical to officially "land". Our medicals were on 9 April 2007 and therefore we had until 08 April 2008 to land. We were already in Canada so we crossed the border and returned back to Canada again. Our two daughters (on our application) were in UK at University so they landed on 15 December, (Uni break) and have since returned to UK.

You would be able to come here, "land" and then return to UK for sone to complete his education. Once landed then you have to remain in Canada for I think it is 730 days out of every 5 years, please someone correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future

When you say "1 year to land", could we "land" within the 12 months of the visa issue date ..
You must land within 12 months of your medicals (not the visa issue date).

As for residency obligation, check here:

(1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.
(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):
(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are
(i) physically present in Canada,
(...)

Last edited by hfxns; Jan 1st 2008 at 10:45 pm. Reason: Adding info..
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great info and links.

Looks like we will be able to "Land" within the 12 months of our medical, on our final recce trip then come back for our lads GCSE exams.

Thanks again and will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Dave and Jo
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Dave and Jo;5727116]

QUOTE]

Just to add, 90 day letter didn't make too much of a difference for us.
We got 90 day letter on March 6th and had the expectation that it may be looked at around 6th June.
We then organised for OH to have interview which he did back in May 07.
He got job offer in Aug 07 which will stand for 6 months and is reliant on getting Visa by this time.
Got Request for Meds in Nov 07
Took Meds on 6th Dec.
Couriered to CIC on 2nd Jan

So nearly 7 months after getting 90 letter we are still waiting for that PPR.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

7 months eh ? well at least its getting closer.

We are hoping that we will have PR by the end of the year, do our final recce trip and "land" in August 08 {after the lad has finished his exams}.

When and where are you going to "land" ?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

RossC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave & Jo

We plan on flying our dogs out to Vancouver a couple of days ahead of us and will have them picked up and boarded so we don't have to worry about them. We then plan to land a few days before completion on our house and then land in Vancouver. Hope things go to plan.. Good luck with yours.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Hi RossC,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that pets had to arrive on the same flight as you? That is certainly the case for my pet parrots according to Canada import, I have been told that specifically.

Maybe dogs are different, but worth double checking?

Rachel
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Hi RossC,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that pets had to arrive on the same flight as you? That is certainly the case for my pet parrots according to Canada import, I have been told that specifically.

Maybe dogs are different, but worth double checking?

Rachel
Sorry RossC is my son and I inadvertently posted while he was signed in.

I didn't know this was the case and have to check into this further. I'm trying to sort things so that life will be easier for us but obviously it may not be. Now worried Gotta try and fit two large dogs and crates and all our stuff in one car or possibly hire a van?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

I hope I'm wrong then, and it's just parrots! Good luck Alison33

We are in the same position - we have to drive from Lancashire to Glasgow (direct to NS), with all our suitcases, everything we can carry, and five large parrot carriers - two dalmation sized for the macaws and three cat sized for the smaller parrots.

Think a van will definitely be in order!!
Rachel