Visa Options for Wife and Kids

Old Aug 4th 2017, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Jase84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Options for Wife and Kids

I am looking for some advice on the best visa options for my wife and 2 youngest children so we can move from the UK to Canada (Vancouver) in early 2018.

Thanks to this great forum I found out I am actually a Canadian citizen by decent as my mum was born in Canada and I have recently received my proof of citizenship certificate, I now just have to apply for my Canadian passport and I am good to go. My understanding is, my eldest daughter is also a Canadian citizen by decent, by decent, as she was born in September 2008, so before April 2009 when the rules changed on allowing by decent, by decent. So we are sending her forms off for proof of citizenship next week.

This then leaves the question of what options are open to my wife and 2 youngest children (aged 6 and 4)? I understand I could now sponsor my wife and children for permanent residency (PR), but this looks to take around 12 months and would cost about $1800. I have no issues doing this once we are living in Canada and we know we are happy there, but I am just a little reluctant spending that amount of money until we know we are happy in Canada. If my wife applied for temporary residency how long would this be valid for before she would need to apply for permanent residency and would our children be included on her application or would we need to do 3 separate temporary residency application? Is there any other options we should be looking into?

To make this a little more complicated, my youngest daughter (now 6 years old) had Kidney cancer (Wilms Tumor) between 2015/2016, her infected kidney was removed and she then had 28 weeks of preventative chemotherapy. She has now been cancer free for 12 months and has no ongoing treatment, she just has to have check-up scans (chest x ray & ultra sound of abdomen) every 3 months. Is there a particular visa she would need to have to get these scans in a Canadian hospital or do I need to take out an insurance policy for her scans, or do I have to pay for them myself?

Thanks

Jase
Old Aug 4th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Options for Wife and Kids

No idea about your child's medical issues, but your wife can't apply for 'temporary residency'. She can apply for permanent residency, or a work permit (any chance she's under 30?),or a study permit, both of which will allow her to do something in canada, but there isn't a try before you buy option.

Temporary resident is the Canadian term for any non - Canadian in Canada. Tourists, workers, students, etc are temporary residents.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Are you wife and children British citizens or citizens of another visa exempt country? If so they may just need to ask for visitors records when you enter Canada. However, this would mean your wife would have visitor status and would not be able to work. Visitors may also need health insurance to cover the stay depending on the province.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how long you will have to wait before you can access BC healthcare. In Ontario there is a 3 month wait.

If so you will need healthcare insurance until the healthcare kicks in...look into the cost especially for your daughter. Last year I needed a CT scan and was told it would cost around $3K.

As this is forum is for questions about visas and citizenship....it would be best if you post healthcare questions in the Main Canada forum. Good luck.

Canada - British Expats

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/he...-and-enrolment

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 4th 2017 at 2:17 pm. Reason: Insert link
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

BC is also 3 months from when you register with them, not when you arrive, so you need to register asap on arrival

Details for who is eligible is here:
Are you Eligible? - Province of British Columbia

From what I am reading your wife and children could well be dependents (especially if not working)

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Aug 4th 2017 at 2:42 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 3:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You can cut BC wit time down to a little over two months by arriving and registering at the end of a month. You have to do the remainder of the month when you register+ 2 successive months. Also, don't forget to apply for Fair Pharmacare as well drug program).

Excessive demand does not apply to family sponsorship, however MSP does not cover all medications and treatments should they be required. Often a work extended plan will cover some that MSP won't pick up on.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone.

Yes my wife and kids are all British citizens. My Wife is 32 so not under 30.

I will have a look into visitor status as my wife won't be working anyway at first so that's fine. Would my children still be able to register for school if they are on a visitor visa?

How much is a visitor visa and how long do they last? Would we need 3 for my wife and 2 kids or just 1 for my wife as the kids are minor and my dependants?

I have had a look at the "Are you Eligible?" link and it looks like my wife and kids would be covered under my MSP once I have paid into it for 3 months. So will need to get health insurance for the first 3 months, which is fine. This could work well for my daughters check up scans as well as we could get them done in the UK before we leave and then hopefully her next scans won't fall till after I have paid into MSP for the 3 months.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

A small clarification, your wife and kids would need visitor records not visas. As they are British and UK is a visa exempt country they do not need visas. They only need an ETA to fly.

The main difference is that a visa is typically obtained before travel at the consulate, where as a visitor record is obtained at the POE on arrival in Canada. You could, if you wanted, all move to Canada tomorrow and obtain these at airport.

Kids can be enrolled in School on visitor records.

Should also have mentioned visitor records are free

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Aug 5th 2017 at 5:10 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

That's great news, thanks.

How long can my wife and kids stay in Canada on an eTA, is it just 6 months? Would we have a good chance of getting an extension if needed as they are my dependants?

I will be sponsoring them for PR as soon as we are happy and settled.

Thanks again
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jase84
That's great news, thanks.

How long can my wife and kids stay in Canada on an eTA, is it just 6 months? Would we have a good chance of getting an extension if needed as they are my dependants?

I will be sponsoring them for PR as soon as we are happy and settled.

Thanks again
Others will have more experience than me but given your circumstances and assuming you were working and supporting them I see no reason why a record wouldn't be extended.

I'm not sure if they are limited to 6 months or wether this is at discretion of CBSA officer. Former_lancastrian will know.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a look at the "Are you Eligible?" link and it looks like my wife and kids would be covered under my MSP once I have paid into it for 3 months.
Not so sure they will be on a visitor entry.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/hea...-in-canada.pdf

Once sponsorship is approved, then it may be a different matter.

Unfortunately you only find out when in BC and applying for coverage.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Aviator, looks like we will need to get the PR application in ASAP then when we get there so the whole family is covered as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Aviator, looks like we will need to get the PR application in ASAP then when we get there so the whole family is covered as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone
I think you'll need to apply for PR before you go, unless you want to risk them being refused entry - search the FAQ for details on 'dual intent' for more info.

HTH.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 9:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think you'll need to apply for PR before you go, unless you want to risk them being refused entry - search the FAQ for details on 'dual intent' for more info.

HTH.
+1

As a Canadian Citizen you don't have to be living in Canada in order to sponsor your family - you can start the application now as 'Outland' applicants - sponsorship should be approved (presuming you meet the requirements) quite quickly. Once you have sponsorship approval your wife and children can come to Canada under 'dual intent'.

You can read more on the process here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sor/spouse.asp

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki

Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:49 am

Thanks everyone
Without PR approval, you will only find out if they are covered once you apply for MSP.