Visa help!

Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

megarhandi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa help!

Hi, so this is my story. My husband and I met online. I live in Canada, he lives in England. He moved here for a year on a temporary work visa (IEC) and we got married in June. He also left in June because we decided to apply outland for a marriage visa. We just figured out he needs to include a police check from Canada.
Can anybody tell me how long that will take? And can he even get one if he's in England?
Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa help!

Originally Posted by megarhandi
Hi, so this is my story. My husband and I met online. I live in Canada, he lives in England. He moved here for a year on a temporary work visa (IEC) and we got married in June. He also left in June because we decided to apply outland for a marriage visa. We just figured out he needs to include a police check from Canada.
Can anybody tell me how long that will take? And can he even get one if he's in England?
Thanks
Your husband didn't need to leave Canada in order to apply 'outland' - it's quite normal to be living in Canada but apply via London (or where-ever). If he can obtain another IEC or else get the offer of a full time permanent job in Canada (with an LMO) he could return and work here - otherwise, he could return as a visitor but will not be able to work until PR is granted.

He does not need a Police check from Canada. If CIC require him to get one - unlikely - they will contact him. He will need to get a Police check from any other countries he has lived in for more than 6 months since the age of 18, including the UK.

If you read the CIC guidance notes, it does specifically say this.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ica/canada.asp

He will also need to have a medical done and the confirmation included with your application.

The completed application - Sponsors section, Applicant for PR section, Western Europe document check list, Police certificate(s), medical confirmation and fee's receipt needs to be sent to Mississauga, after 1st stage approval (sponsorship approval) it will then go to London CIC for processing.

Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

So he does not need a Canadian police check even though he lived here for the last year?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So he does not need a Canadian police check even though he lived here for the last year?
If you read the link I gave you, it specifically states that he does not.

Did you read it?

How to obtain a police certificate - Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Yes I read it but I also read this
Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate. You must get one from each country or territory where you have lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:05 am
Banned

Yes I read it but I also read this
Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate. You must get one from each country or territory where you have lived for six or more months in a row since the age of 18.
I understand that, but when you go to the 'Police Certificates' link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...rity/index.asp and then click on 'how to obtain a Police certificate' and then click on 'Canada' that it what it says.

In addition, if you go to the actual application pack page and click on the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...toc.asp#3999E3 and scroll down to 'documents' and then to 'Police Certificates' it states:

"... These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six (6) consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18... "

I would have a good read through the guides as they are very helpful.

Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Is that not the guide for the sponsor? The sponsor is me
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:18 am
Banned

Is that not the guide for the sponsor? The sponsor is me
No.

This is the guide for the sponsor.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/3900ETOC.asp

The link I gave you was to guide 3999E3, for the PR applicant (or sponsored family member).

Perhaps take a couple of hours to read through the complete page with all the guides and forms so you have a better idea of how to proceed. I know it can get very confusing, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:53 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi medarhandi,

Congrats on your recent marriage!!

I think you're getting a few of the requirements confused - and it's easily done!! I sponsored my husband last year (I'm Canadian, he's British), so I understand the confusion you're going through!

For police checks, your husband will need one from every country he has lived in apart from Canada for more than 6 months. He does NOT have to supply one for Canada - this is because CIC has the ability to conduct the police check themselves, so they don't ask you to provide it. So don't worry about that. His British one shouldn't take very long either - I think my husband had his about 3 weeks after applying for it.

You as the sponsor definitely do not need to provide police checks, even if you''re been elsewhere for a long time. You're already a citizen, so CIC isn't going to do more checking up on you, and having a clean record is not a requirement to sponsor. So you're in the clear.

Have a good read through both guides - there's the guide for the sponsor (you), and then the guide for the sponsored person (your husband). There are two separate checklists, one for each person. There is a bit of overlap between the two checklists if I'm not mistaken - you don't have to provide those forms twice, just once is fine. If you find any conflicting information anywhere, go with what's on the checklist.

Hopefully that helps clear it up!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

I did read through the guides, I'm completely confused, that's why I'm asking here. There's so much stuff and I'm 100% stressed out. Please don't think I'm just lazy and not reading through all of the info
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:03 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I did read through the guides, I'm completely confused, that's why I'm asking here. There's so much stuff and I'm 100% stressed out. Please don't think I'm just lazy and not reading through all of the info
No worries at all - sorry if you got that impression! There are certainly some people who post without reading anything!

Hopefully the answers from me and Siouxie help clear up some of your questions, just post back if you have more!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

The guides look exactly the same, that's why I got confused. We're also kind of confused with the pictures. I read that he has to provide eight recent photographs of family members. It might have said him and family members, is this correct or am I mixing things up again?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:17 pm
Concierge

The guides look exactly the same, that's why I got confused. We're also kind of confused with the pictures. I read that he has to provide eight recent photographs of family members. It might have said him and family members, is this correct or am I mixing things up again?
When they refer to "family members", they only mean family members who are being included in the application - so if your husband had a child he was sponsoring, then he would need to provide 8 photos of himself, and 8 photos of his child. For the purposes of the application, you are not his "family member", you are only referred to as the "sponsor".
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
When they refer to "family members", they only mean family members who are being included in the application - so if your husband had a child he was sponsoring, then he would need to provide 8 photos of himself, and 8 photos of his child. For the purposes of the application, you are not his "family member", you are only referred to as the "sponsor".
Ok, so he would need to provide 8 immigration photos (like with all the specifications of exactly what it has to look like)?
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Ok, so he would need to provide 8 immigration photos (like with all the specifications of exactly what it has to look like)?
Yep, there are photo specifications somewhere in the guide, just take those with you to a photographer and have them done - most photo places that do passport or other immigration photos will be able to follow the instructions. (Make sure you have that form, though, because there are a load of different Canadian visa/immigration forms, and not all of them have the same photo specifications, so if the photographer just says "is it for Canadian immigration", have them read the specifications anyway so that you don't send the wrong photos!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.