Visa

Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Sampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really nice
Default Visa

What type of visa do I need to apply for to apply for work while in Canada (my partner has a 2 year contract in Canada- we have a son together and I want to work part time)
Also where do I get the forms that I need to fill in for it?
Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Sampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really niceSampace1983 is just really nice
Default Schools

Silly question but can we apply for our son to go to school whilst we are in Canada (we intend on staying but u never know what will happen)
Our son is 3 so can we apply for per kindergarten for him or do we have to be citizens first?thanks
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa

Originally Posted by Sampace1983
What type of visa do I need to apply for to apply for work while in Canada (my partner has a 2 year contract in Canada- we have a son together and I want to work part time)
Also where do I get the forms that I need to fill in for it?
Thanks
It will depend on your partners job, what NOC code is it and in which province? If it's a skilled job or it comes under a pilot program, then you would get a Spousal Open Work Permit (which you'd normally just apply for at the airport when you arrive, at the same time as he gets his TWP, assuming you're a UK citizen and won't need a medical). However, if it's not a skilled job, then you wouldn't be able to get an open work permit.

If you can give us a bit more info about his job, then we can help.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 7th 2013 at 9:29 am.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools

Originally Posted by Sampace1983
Silly question but can we apply for our son to go to school whilst we are in Canada (we intend on staying but u never know what will happen)
Our son is 3 so can we apply for per kindergarten for him or do we have to be citizens first?thanks
He could attend school (there's info in the Wiki about schooling for dependent children of those on TWP's which may be worth a look), although at 3 is too young - in most provinces kindergarten doesn't start until around age 5. Again, there is info in the Wiki on schooling ages etc.

HTH.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I've just had a look at your previous posts and have seen that your partner is a cladder and you're heading to Alberta, is that right?

If so, I'm assuming that his job would come under NOC code 7441 (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...&val65=cladder), and unfortunately that is Skill Level C on the Matrix, meaning you wouldn't be able to get a Spousal Open Work Permit as it's not a 'skilled' job (only jobs in Levels A, O or B are classed as skilled).

So if you wanted to work, then your only option would be to either get a work permit and LMO in your own right. And one other thing just to check, but I'm assuming you're aware that as a cladder your partner has no direct route to PR? It's just that you mention that you intend on staying, but at the moment you would have no way to do that unless you can get a either a skilled job, or a job that comes under the Alberta PNP, and apply for PR yourself?

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 7th 2013 at 9:39 am.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Chalky84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my husband is a cladders and has just been offered a job in calgary we fly out on the 29th aug, was just wondering where about u have moved to and how you are finding it.

Thanks

Charlotte
Old Aug 10th 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

My partner leaves on the 18th aug he's got induction in Calgary then he will be actually working in Edmonton area. He's going to look at places before me and out son go out in October. X