Virtual Citizenship Ceremony

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough
Default Virtual Citizenship Ceremony

Hi all

I had just booked a ticket to return to the UK. With the increasing cases and my father going under surgery soon I wanted to be there for the remainder of the year.

No sooner than had I booked a ticket for this Monday 27th I get a invitation for my 'virtual' citizenship ceremony for the 30th. DOH!

Questions:

1) will there be any issues if I take the zoom call from UK?
2) What is the process when the ceremony is complete?
3) Do Biometrics need to be given as part of the follow up to citizenship ceremony?

Do i need to hand in anything in person or is there going to be a stage where I need to be in Canada to collect from a provincial office?

Thanks
Bobby

Last edited by BobbyN; Oct 23rd 2020 at 3:10 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virtual Citizenship Ceremony

Here is the link from the IRCC website which may or may not answer your questions

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ship.html#oath
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Here is the link from the IRCC website which may or may not answer your questions

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ship.html#oath
thanks but no information on the follow up process and what needs to be done after the ceremony
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Just called CIC - legally I have to be on Canadian soil so I will just have to change my flight ticket for next month.

Just trying to find out what are the steps after and whether with the passport I need to give biometrics.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BobbyN
thanks but no information on the follow up process and what needs to be done after the ceremony
Send them an email case specific enquiry and ask them

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

You’ll need a Canadian passport to return so make sure you don’t book your flight too close to the ceremony. It takes up to 48 hours for you to be in the system and then a certain amount of days for your passport request to be processed - think it can be expedited in 48 hours at an extra cost.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
You’ll need a Canadian passport to return so make sure you don’t book your flight too close to the ceremony. It takes up to 48 hours for you to be in the system and then a certain amount of days for your passport request to be processed - think it can be expedited in 48 hours at an extra cost.

From what i understand the certificate (which is required for passport application) will not be received that quick. Possibly 2 to 4 weeks.

So I am going to just have that sent to me in the UK and I will apply from there for a passport. A quick call to the passport office in toronto advised me that is possible.

Old Oct 25th 2020, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

From what i understand the certificate (which is required for passport application) will not be received that quick. Possibly 2 to 4 weeks.

So I am going to just have that sent to me in the UK and I will apply from there for a passport. A quick call to the passport office in toronto advised me that is possible.

I didn’t even think about the additional complexities involved at present, just wanted to highlight the buffer needed as it nearly caught me out! Good luck - you’ve obviously got it covered.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I had just booked a ticket to return to the UK. With the increasing cases and my father going under surgery soon I wanted to be there for the remainder of the year.

No sooner than had I booked a ticket for this Monday 27th I get a invitation for my 'virtual' citizenship ceremony for the 30th. DOH!

Questions:

1) will there be any issues if I take the zoom call from UK?
2) What is the process when the ceremony is complete?
3) Do Biometrics need to be given as part of the follow up to citizenship ceremony?

Do i need to hand in anything in person or is there going to be a stage where I need to be in Canada to collect from a provincial office?

Thanks
Bobby
It would surprise me very much if you are getting naturalized as a Canadian, but are in physically in the UK. It certainly doesn't sound right, whether it's legally allowed or not, is a different debate.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 10:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
It would surprise me very much if you are getting naturalized as a Canadian, but are in physically in the UK. It certainly doesn't sound right, whether it's legally allowed or not, is a different debate.
See OP's post - Virtual Citizenship Ceremony
Old Nov 12th 2020, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Correct - legally it has to be on Canadian soil and rightly so i think.

Completed the ceremony online while in Toronto, they do ask at the time along with some other brief questions.

I changed my flight to return to UK for rest of year but was glad to have finally completed the ceremony that I had stupidly missed previously.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 5:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Correct - legally it has to be on Canadian soil and rightly so i think.

Completed the ceremony online while in Toronto, they do ask at the time along with some other brief questions.

I changed my flight to return to UK for rest of year but was glad to have finally completed the ceremony that I had stupidly missed previously.
Congratulations!

Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:08 am
Just Joined

BwitishSam is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats! fun to know these are done in zoom, more personal in a way.