Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

On the verge of a job offer? need to check my facts!

On the verge of a job offer? need to check my facts!

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Headed4Vancouver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On the verge of a job offer? need to check my facts!

Hi,

Just had a call from a company in Vancouver that I had an interview with when I was there a few weeks back. They're checking out the process for employing me as an immigrant and asking me about my understanding, so I just want to check my facts with you experts before things go any further.

Their understanding is more or less the same as mine as follows:

1. They apply for a LMO which takes 3 to 4 weeks
2. They can then issue the job offer
3. Assuming I accept, I can obtain a temporary work permit on entry to Canada
4. This TWP lasts for 2 or 3 years and ties me to this company (not a problem for me)
5. I then apply for permanent residency

This is where our opinions divide though. I was hoping they would sponsor me through the PNP route, which I understand could take a little as a year as my profession (Project Manager in Engineering) is listed as NOC Code 211, and classified as Skill Level 0 and hence is eligible for this PNP process, which expedites the processing of a permanent work visa.

However, they are suggesting I apply for my permanent residency under my own steam, which would take 1 to 2 years according to them. I thought this process could take 3 to 4 years!

Can someone please clarify?

Is there any downside to the company in sponsoring me through the PNP? Does it cost them more or tie them to me or vice versa? Any other reason why they wouldn't want to go down this route?

Thanks for your help folks.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the verge of a job offer? need to check my facts!

Originally Posted by Headed4Vancouver

1. They apply for a LMO which takes 3 to 4 weeks

Yes the employer has to apply for the LMO

2. They can then issue the job offer

No - you have to have the job offer in writing before the LMO is applied for as the job title and salary should be in there.

3. Assuming I accept, I can obtain a temporary work permit on entry to Canada

Yes once you have a copy of the positive LMO then you can apply for the TWP at a POE. However if your occupation requires a medical then this will have to be and submitted to London UK for them to give you a letter for CBSA to issue the TWP.

4. This TWP lasts for 2 or 3 years and ties me to this company (not a problem for me)

Until you have a postive LMO you will not know how long the TWP will be for as this is something which HRDSC sort out. Yes a LMO/TWP is only for the employer who applies for it - should you need to move jobs then the whole process needs to be done again

5. I then apply for permanent residency

Yes once you are living and working in Canada you can apply for PR via London and claim arranged employment but I think you are better asking them to "Expedite" it for you due to the job

This is where our opinions divide though. I was hoping they would sponsor me through the PNP route, which I understand could take a little as a year as my profession (Project Manager in Engineering) is listed as NOC Code 211, and classified as Skill Level 0 and hence is eligible for this PNP process, which expedites the processing of a permanent work visa.

However, they are suggesting I apply for my permanent residency under my own steam, which would take 1 to 2 years according to them. I thought this process could take 3 to 4 years!

Alot of Canadian employers really have no clue what is involved in taking on a foreign worker to meet skill shortages - the government is slowly getting all this put right by running seminars for employers to explain the process.

Same goes as to how long they think it takes for you to be able to emigrate - they seem to think that it is so simple when in fact the wait is likely to be in excess of 5 years since the introduction of the simplified application process

With PNP the employer has to approved to be part of the scheme so unless they are approved by the BC PNP scheme then that route would take longer as they would have to be approved before you could submit your own PR application.

Is there any downside to the company in sponsoring me through the PNP? Does it cost them more or tie them to me or vice versa? Any other reason why they wouldn't want to go down this route?

I would certainly say to come out on a TWP and then after a couple of months claim the AEO and submit payslips as proof of employment etc and request that your application is expedited - your PR should be through before an application via PNP.

I hope that this has helped.

Gaynor
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 7:28 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by burton bunch
No - you have to have the job offer in writing before the LMO is applied for as the job title and salary should be in there.
THat is something I do nto quite understand. The company might have decided on what they wish to hire you as, they might have all filled that out, but it does not state anywhere that they need to submit the letter of employment together with the request for an LMO.

So would that not mean that technically then can submit an LMO before they even bother to offer you a job so that they can wait whether it will be positive.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:43 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

See my comments in red below.

Good luck!
Rob
Originally Posted by Headed4Vancouver
Hi,

Just had a call from a company in Vancouver that I had an interview with when I was there a few weeks back. They're checking out the process for employing me as an immigrant and asking me about my understanding, so I just want to check my facts with you experts before things go any further.

1. They apply for a LMO which takes 3 to 4 weeks yes, search the forum for up to date timelines, I would count on more like 8 weeks
2. They can then issue the job offer yes - although you need to have agreed to terms in advance as these are included in the LMO application
3. Assuming I accept, I can obtain a temporary work permit on entry to Canada yes
4. This TWP lasts for 2 or 3 years and ties me to this company (not a problem for me) TWP will last as long as the LMO is valid. There is option on LMO form - I recomend going for 2 yrs, slightly easier to get and gives you plenty of time to get PR
5. I then apply for permanent residency yes - once working in Canada submit Skilled Worker application to london, claiming points for Arranged Employment - Read the wiki "Fast track PR" for requirements

They are correct - SW application to London with arranged employment (they have to offer you a permanent position on being granted PR). Takes 6mths to a year to get PR.

PNP is an alternative to going down the LMO route. Basically you have two options:

1) LMO Application -> +ve LMO -> TWP at POE -> PR Application -> PR
2) PNP Application -> Nomination approved by province -> TWP (optional) -> PR

I went the first route, PNP seems to be a better process, but I don't know that much about it.

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:03 pm
Banned

googlemonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: On the verge of a job offer? need to check my facts!

I have a job offer which I've agreed, I already applied in 06 for PR which is being processed. But Im tired of waiting, so it should go:

Job offer>LMO>temp work permit at Canada>wait for PR there.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by googlemonster
I have a job offer which I've agreed, I already applied in 06 for PR which is being processed. But Im tired of waiting, so it should go:

Job offer>LMO>temp work permit at Canada>wait for PR there.
yes once working inform cic and ask if they could fast track of for you. You will need to send lmo and payslips withyour update letter
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Headed4Vancouver is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for all your help. I've just returned from a second interview at Heathrow and it's all still looking good.

So, to summarise the process as I now understand it:

1. They issue the job offer
2. I agree terms
3. They apply for an LMO, which takes anything from a week to 8 weeks (according to recent posts on here).
4. Once I have the LMO and official contract, I can hand in my notice at work
5. I apply for TWP on entry to Canada, ideally for 2 years
6. I then apply for a skilled worked PR and ask for it to be expedited
7. I sit and wait!

I now see that the PNP route may not be appropriate as the company involved is only small and unlikely to be registered for PNP.

Hope this is all correct now - I'm trying to educate them as much as myself!!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Any company can get BC PNP my OH got one and her boss only employees 3 others. PNP will be through in less than 6 months. The reason the company might not want to go through PNP is that they have no hold over you and your free to find a better job!