Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Border Landing Questions

Vancouver Border Landing Questions

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 6:36 am
KelChia7

We're currently in Vancouver, and plan to land this Saturday morning.
1. Can I get more detailed information/past experiences on the flagpole landing procedure
for Vancouver? More specifically, is the U-turn after exiting Canadian immigration
before entering US easily identified?
2. The items listed in the goods to follow list, is there a time limit to bring them in?
Mine will be mainly jewelry, I plan to just list the items in general and state an
estimated value, is that sufficient?
3. For our unsold property back in home country, will it be sufficient just to note an
estimated value? What is the procedure to bring the money in later if it is telegraphic
tranferred over later after house is sold?
4. We have already bought (leased) a car in Vancouver, will it be alright to drive this
car for the landing? Will any questions be asked about the car? Answers much
appreciated. K

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 12:46 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

> We're currently in Vancouver, and plan to land this Saturday morning.
> 1. Can I get more detailed information/past experiences on the flagpole
landing
> procedure for Vancouver? More specifically, is the U-turn after exiting Canadian
> immigration before entering US easily identified?

I assume that you're crossing at the Peace Arch. If I recall correctly there's a small
u-turn sign there. The return is past the Canadian customs booths, but before the border.
Stay in the left lane as you go past Canadian customs.

> 2. The items listed in the goods to follow list, is there a time limit to
bring
> them in? Mine will be mainly jewelry, I plan to just list the items in
general
> and state an estimated value, is that sufficient?

Canada customs recommends that, if you have a lot of jewelry, it should be formally
appraised, along with an identifying photo.

> 3. For our unsold property back in home country, will it be sufficient
just to
> note an estimated value? What is the procedure to bring the money in
later if
> it is telegraphic tranferred over later after house is sold?

You don't have to declare your house or unsold property. If the money will wired to a
Canadian bank account, then you don't have to do anything. The money itself is not taxable
simply because you are bringing it in from abroad. Note that you may have to pay income
tax on any capital gains realized on your unsold property, but only the the gain realized
between the time the you became a resident and the time that it was sold. If you're not
planning on selling it for a while, it may be a good idea to have an appraisal done on
your house around the time that you became a resident. For example, suppose your house was
worth $50,000 when you bought it, $60,000 when you became a resident of Canada, and
$62,000 when you sold it. In total you would have had a capital gain of $12,000 (Selling
price minus purchase price). However, the gain that was realized while you were a resident
of Canada was only $2,000. (Selling price minus the value on the date you became a
Canadian resident). You would have to list this $2,000 on your Canadian tax return. This
an oversimplified explanation, of course.

> 4. We have already bought (leased) a car in Vancouver, will it be alright
to
> drive this car for the landing? Will any questions be asked about the
car?

If the car was leased in Canada, and I assume it has BC plates, then it's not subject to
any customs regulations. You may want to bring the lease document and have the
registration with you in case customs asks to see it.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 2:20 pm
Half Canadian

Just to add to Stephen's instructions for you at the border, there is indeed a "U-Turn"
provision located about 300 metres before you reach the US Immigration offices that is
marked with a small sign saying "RETURN TO CANADA"

Happy landings!

> > 1. Can I get more detailed information/past experiences on the flagpole
> landing
> > procedure for Vancouver? More specifically, is the U-turn after exiting Canadian
> > immigration before entering US easily identified?
>
> I assume that you're crossing at the Peace Arch. If I recall correctly there's a small
> u-turn sign there. The return is past the Canadian customs booths, but before the
> border. Stay in the left lane as you go past Canadian customs.

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 4:01 pm
KelChia7

Thank you, this is most helpful.