Utterly Confused.

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

jennbits is on a distinguished road
Red face Utterly Confused.

I am working on gathering all of the documentation for my skilled worker application, so that I can return to Toronto to be with my boyfriend for good. One of the things that I am concerned about is being offered a job during my waiting period.

If I am offered a job in the 2 years before my application is completely processed, what happens then? Can I move and work on a temporary worker's visa? Do I have to decline the offer?

This is so overwhelming! I'm trying anything I can to get there, I've even considered going back to school to get my graduate degrees. Any advice is gladly accepted, but we don't want to get married for immigration purposes so that advice will be quickly vetoed!

Thank you as always for your help and consideration.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:42 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Utterly Confused.

You may apply for Work Permit while your PR application is pending, as long as you have HRSDC validated job offer.

BTW - how do you want to qualify in Skilled Workers class without at least a Bachelor's degree or a 3-years trade certificate obtained after at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) education? Where you'll get your points from? You said that you consider going back to school to get your degree, so I assume that you don't have one. Just wondering...

Originally Posted by jennbits
I am working on gathering all of the documentation for my skilled worker application, so that I can return to Toronto to be with my boyfriend for good. One of the things that I am concerned about is being offered a job during my waiting period.

If I am offered a job in the 2 years before my application is completely processed, what happens then? Can I move and work on a temporary worker's visa? Do I have to decline the offer?

This is so overwhelming! I'm trying anything I can to get there, I've even considered going back to school to get my graduate degrees. Any advice is gladly accepted, but we don't want to get married for immigration purposes so that advice will be quickly vetoed!

Thank you as always for your help and consideration.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A: Why do skilled worker when spousal / common law/ conjugal partner is so much faster? No need to be actually married, but he has to sponsor you which has certain financial implications. If you have lived together for a year or so it should be possible, and even if you havent its not impossible.

B: If you get a job offer while waiting for the visa, then a work permit is an option, but the employer has to prove there is no one in canada can do the job, so its not so straightforward as all that.

Confused that you would be "trying anything" to be together "with your boyfriend for good", but marriage is out of the question. Commitment issues??? Never mind, none of my business!

Good Luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You may apply for Work Permit while your PR application is pending, as long as you have HRSDC validated job offer.

BTW - how do you want to qualify in Skilled Workers class without at least a Bachelor's degree or a 3-years trade certificate obtained after at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) education? Where you'll get your points from? You said that you consider going back to school to get your degree, so I assume that you don't have one. Just wondering...
I meant graduate degree as in my Masters and, subsequently, Doctorate. I obtained my Bachelor's a few years ago. Thank you so much for the information. Twice so far you've been extremely helpful to me and I appreciate it.

Last edited by jennbits; Feb 2nd 2005 at 10:20 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
A: Why do skilled worker when spousal / common law/ conjugal partner is so much faster? No need to be actually married, but he has to sponsor you which has certain financial implications. If you have lived together for a year or so it should be possible, and even if you havent its not impossible.

B: If you get a job offer while waiting for the visa, then a work permit is an option, but the employer has to prove there is no one in canada can do the job, so its not so straightforward as all that.

Confused that you would be "trying anything" to be together "with your boyfriend for good", but marriage is out of the question. Commitment issues??? Never mind, none of my business!

Good Luck.
I don't feel particularly comfortable placing financial burdens on our relationship. I am qualified and capable of immigrating on my own, just impatient. I absolutely don't have commitment issues, but I want to marry him when we are both ready to take that step, not simply because I want to obtain my visa more quickly. I like to call that "for the right reasons," considering that I view a marriage as a permanent decision that should not be completely dependent on my decision to immigrate. By that, I mean that I intend to immigrate whether or not we are still together 2 years from now. There's no question that I love him, but I am not going to push him into marriage or any kind of financial obligation until we have mutually decided that we are ready to take that step. To me, that's an unfair strain to put onto a relationship that has its' fair share of strain already.

I think it's a fairly reasonable decision.

Thank you for the information about a worker's visa, however. I really appreciate it.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:17 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't feel particularly comfortable placing financial burdens on our relationship. I am qualified and capable of immigrating on my own, just impatient. I absolutely don't have commitment issues, but I want to marry him when we are both ready to take that step, not simply because I want to obtain my visa more quickly. I like to call that "for the right reasons," considering that I view a marriage as a permanent decision that should not be completely dependent on my decision to immigrate. By that, I mean that I intend to immigrate whether or not we are still together 2 years from now. There's no question that I love him, but I am not going to push him into marriage or any kind of financial obligation until we have mutually decided that we are ready to take that step. To me, that's an unfair strain to put onto a relationship that has its' fair share of strain already.

Thank you for the information about a worker's visa, however. I really appreciate it.
I am so pleased to find someone who really respects marriage for what it should be. Many would take the chance to shorten their path to Canada regardless of the consequences.

Might be worth checking out the requirements for a spousal sponsorship visa anyway...its basically to do with benefit entitlements more than anything else, and it may apply to your relationship anyway, as you dont have to be legally married, just in a long term relationship.

Hope it works out for you both.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 6:42 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Hats off to you jennbits.
I agree with you and Iaink (again, I seem to be agreeing with him alot lately). If more people were like you CIC would not need lengthly processes checking marriage of convenience.
Whish you good luck in getting a HRDC approved job offer soon, because that is the quickest way to move and on your own merits.