Wikiposts

Using lawyer for LMO

Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:41 am
Account Closed

blonde0000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Using lawyer for LMO

My boss wants to apply for an LMO for me, I will be taking care of that by myself as he's quite busy. My case is tricky so even though I know I could do it without professional help I'd rather not especially that I want them to prepare text for advertising etc.

I found one lawyer and she sounds amazing but she's so expensive (3500+ other expenses). Immigration Pros want 1600 for everything but they seem like such unenthusiastic tired bunch, has anyone used them?

What would you do?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using lawyer for LMO

Tbh, I can't see why anybody would contemplate hiring a lawyer for a LMO. Your employer has to apply for it (you can't), so whilst I know he's busy, he will have to. A lot of consultants/lawyers won't even do LMO applications as it's such a simple form.

Jmo, but if you are going to pay for it then I think $3500
is extortionate - a PR application is usually about that amount!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Tbh, I can't see why anybody would contemplate hiring a lawyer for a LMO. Your employer has to apply for it (you can't), so whilst I know he's busy, he will have to. A lot of consultants/lawyers won't even do LMO applications as it's such a simple form.

Jmo, but if you are going to pay for it then I think $3500
is extortionate - a PR application is usually about that amount!
I know it's simple but I'm an exec assistant, I want them to prepare the add and the application in a way to maximize my chances, they should know how to do it, I don't. I will be preparing all the documents on behalf of my boss, he told me to do whatever I want.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blonde0000
I know it's simple but I'm an exec assistant, I want them to prepare the add and the application in a way to maximize my chances, they should know how to do it, I don't. I will be preparing all the documents on behalf of my boss, he told me to do whatever I want.
Thing is, that as an exec assistant the LMO is going to be tricky anyway - if you spend $3500 on them preparing the advert and then one Canadian applies, the LMO won't be granted, so what a waste of money! It just seems a huge amount of money to risk to me.

The HRSDC website tells you what the advert needs to contain, and you can write it yourself to give yourself the best chance. A PR app would be about the same amount of money, but at least you'd know that it would be granted if all the documentation is provided, unlike the LMO.

Bear in mind too that your boss is supposed to do the app and HRSDC may phone him to verify the app, so do make sure he's aware of it all at least!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Thing is, that as an exec assistant the LMO is going to be tricky anyway - if you spend $3500 on them preparing the advert and then one Canadian applies, the LMO won't be granted, so what a waste of money! It just seems a huge amount of money to risk to me.

The HRSDC website tells you what the advert needs to contain, and you can write it yourself to give yourself the best chance. A PR app would be about the same amount of money, but at least you'd know that it would be granted if all the documentation is provided, unlike the LMO.

Bear in mind too that your boss is supposed to do the app and HRSDC may phone him to verify the app, so do make sure he's aware of it all at least!
He will be, all his calls go through me anyway. I want to have the advert prepared in a way that Canadians won't be able to qualify, we do business in UK so I want the advert to specify that someone with UK work experience is neccessary etc. Lawyers should know how to adjust those things to have the best possible outcome. I'll go with the cheaper one I think.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:24 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

He will be, all his calls go through me anyway. I want to have the advert prepared in a way that Canadians won't be able to qualify, we do business in UK so I want the advert to specify that someone with UK work experience is neccessary etc. Lawyers should know how to adjust those things to have the best possible outcome. I'll go with the cheaper one I think.
Sounds like you know more about what to put and will most likely have to explain all of this to a lawyer, it will be a well earned 3 1/2 grand ehh
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:10 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

If you were my PA and I got wind that you were posting stuff like this, a patently nefarious scheme that has the potential to get me in serious trouble, on a public forum that you have no idea who could read it, you would be out of a job immediately !
You have already established that you are unethical so you might be well advised to shut up before you do yourself a lot of no good !
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, it has to be advertised across the whole of Canada, not just locally and the problem with that is that there are literally thousands of British ex-pats, the majority of whom will have UK work experience. I was an administrator in the UK (and in Canada) and thus would qualify for the job if you put it in those terms - which would mean you would not get the LMO.

If you angle it too far towards excluding Canadians the chances are HRSDC won't accept it as a legitimate and qualifying advert anyway.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
If you were my PA and I got wind that you were posting stuff like this, a patently nefarious scheme that has the potential to get me in serious trouble, on a public forum that you have no idea who could read it, you would be out of a job immediately !
You have already established that you are unethical so you might be well advised to shut up before you do yourself a lot of no good !
How dare you call me unethical? You know nothing about me. As for posting information that would get someone in trouble it sure isn't one of them since I haven't disclosed any even emotely private details.

You want to help please feel free but take your judgment elsehwere, as far as I'm aware this forum serves different purpose.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:55 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Simon - what you are talking about doing is unethical. You've implied you'd be screening out calls from potential candidates.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 19th 2014 at 6:05 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 5:56 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Don't forget, it has to be advertised across the whole of Canada, not just locally and the problem with that is that there are literally thousands of British ex-pats, the majority of whom will have UK work experience. I was an administrator in the UK (and in Canada) and thus would qualify for the job if you put it in those terms - which would mean you would not get the LMO.

If you angle it too far towards excluding Canadians the chances are HRSDC won't accept it as a legitimate and qualifying advert anyway.
maybe you should apply...
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:16 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I agree with Simon - what you are talking about doing is unethical. You've implied you'd be screening out calls from potential candidates.
Not to mention "preparing the ad in a way that Canadians won't be able to qualify". Hm !
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:18 am

I know right?
Old Feb 19th 2014, 6:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You need to be very careful - why would an EA need UK work experience?! HRSDC are very used to adverts being 'tailored' for a family member or similar, and if they think something like that's happened it'll just be refused.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

+1
Sounds right up my street ;-)

And I think you should be VERY careful given the wording of *your* post concerning the wording of the advertisement...

SB

Last edited by Shirtback; Feb 19th 2014 at 7:16 am. Reason: Missed a line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.