US citizen in Canada

Old Jun 10th 2001, 5:38 am
inon

I remember reading that US citizen don't need a visa to enter Canada. However, how
long the US citizen can stay in Canada?

All expertise is welcome.

Old Jun 10th 2001, 5:51 am
Andrew Miller

Up to 6 months unless shorter admission is granted by immigration officer at the
port of entry.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 10th 2001, 4:19 pm
inon

>
    >
    >
    >

Thank you for all the advise. Have a great day !

Old Jun 10th 2001, 5:36 pm
Dragonfly

>
    >
    >
    >

Andrew Miller wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ok, let's say I bought a house and want to retire to Canada but want to retain my US
citizenship. If I have to leave every 6 months, how long do I have to stay away? Can
I just cross the border and turn around the same day and re-enter Canada? Is there a
minimum number of days I have to stay away? How does one get a VISA to stay longer
than 6 months?

Old Jun 10th 2001, 6:47 pm
Andrew Miller

Yes, you may leave Canada, turn around and re-enter but note that on subsequent
attempts to enter you will be asked more and more questions - one beautiful day you
may be told that you can stay for just few days, instead of desired six months. So,
playing the exit re-entry game may be rather risky, although those Americans who own
homes in Canada and really stay here for not longer than 6 months in a year have no
problems. It is all about intentions and perceptions, exactly like with Canadians
having their second homes in US - as long as stay in US is temporary and permanent
residence maintained in Canada there is no problem for them entering US for up to 6
months at a time, but if they are trying to really live in US on more permanent basis
then INS starts making troubles. Same situation may be expected by Americans trying
to turn their temporary visit in Canada into something more permanent without going
through the proper immigration process.

--

../..

sending an email)

[usenetquote2]> > I remember reading that US citizen don't need a visa to enter Canada. However,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > how long the US citizen can stay in Canada?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > All expertise is welcome.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Up to 6 months unless shorter admission is granted by immigration officer[/usenetquote2]
at
[usenetquote2]> > the port of entry.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending an email)[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
retain
    >
stay
    >
    >
get
    >
    >

Old Jun 11th 2001, 11:44 am
Dragonfly

Andrew Miller wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Andrew,

Thanks for your informative and timely post. I've one more question for you: How does
one apply for an extended visa, lets say, 5 years, or a permanent visa? Is there such
a thing? I'd like to retire to Canada and retain my US citizenship at the same
time...is this possible?

Old Jun 11th 2001, 1:51 pm
Andrew Miller

There is no such thing as "extended" visitor visa. Canadian immigration law allows
visitors to stay in Canada for up to 6 months, unless shorter admission is granted at
the port of entry. Visitor visa may be extended for another period, but not for 5
years or indefinitely. If you want to live permanently in Canada then you should
apply for immigration visa (Permanent Resident status) if you qualify. More info can
be found on the official Immigration Canada website here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

Please note that taking Canadian permanent residency (or even a citizenship later)
will not cancel or force you to relinquish your US citizenship.

--

../..

sending an email)

>
    >
    >
How
    >
Is
    >
at
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Yes, you may leave Canada, turn around and re-enter but note that on[/usenetquote2]
subsequent
[usenetquote2]> > attempts to enter you will be asked more and more questions - one beautiful[/usenetquote2]
day
[usenetquote2]> > you may be told that you can stay for just few days, instead of desired six[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > months. So, playing the exit re-entry game may be rather risky, although[/usenetquote2]
those
[usenetquote2]> > Americans who own homes in Canada and really stay here for not longer than[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > months in a year have no problems. It is all about intentions and[/usenetquote2]
perceptions,
[usenetquote2]> > exactly like with Canadians having their second homes in US - as long as[/usenetquote2]
stay
[usenetquote2]> > in US is temporary and permanent residence maintained in Canada there is no[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > problem for them entering US for up to 6 months at a time, but if they are trying[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to really live in US on more permanent basis then INS starts making troubles.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Same situation may be expected by Americans trying to turn their temporary visit[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in Canada into something more permanent without going[/usenetquote2]
through
[usenetquote2]> > the proper immigration process.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ../..[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > [email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > sending an email)[/usenetquote2]