Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

URGENT! Landing 17th May 2014 - Listing jewellery on good accompanying

URGENT! Landing 17th May 2014 - Listing jewellery on good accompanying

Old May 15th 2014, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

apt2208 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default URGENT! Landing 17th May 2014 - Listing jewellery on good accompanying

Hi all,

I am landing this Saturday and have a question about listing my gold jewellery on the goods accompanying list.

Does the jewellery HAVE to be appraised with photographs? I'm probably not going to be able to do this, given the short time. No single item is more than $10,000 and I have owned it all for more than 6 months. I don't have receipts either.

Many thanks!
Old May 15th 2014, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT! Landing 17th May 2014 - Listing jewellery on good accompanying

How long have you had your COPR forms? You could have had the appraisal done while PR application was being processed on the assumption they would be issued. Ive seen appraisals and photos done in a day.
Old May 15th 2014, 4:05 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT! Landing 17th May 2014 - Listing jewellery on good accompanying

The place I went in London did the appraisal and photo on the same day. If you are in London, we went to Birks (might be Burks, can't remember) on Hatton Garden. When you turn onto Hatton Garden from Holborn Circus it's maybe a 5 minute walk up the street on the left-hand side. Appraisal took maybe 15 minutes, and they gave me two copies at no extra charge. Cost me I think £90.

That said, I didn't have anything appraised when I landed. I listed it out and put the details of it (my engagement and wedding rings, my husband's wedding ring, I have a valuable necklace, my husband's watch, etc). The only thing i have an appraisal for is my engagement ring (and didn't have it on me when I landed); everything else we just put the purchase price and adjusted it for the price of gold going up since some of it was purchased. Didn't have any issues with customs.
Old May 15th 2014, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both. So an appraisal isn't essential?
Old May 15th 2014, 4:37 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have it and was fine.
Old May 15th 2014, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old May 15th 2014, 5:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apt2208
I guess you'll find out Saturday.
Old May 15th 2014, 7:33 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apt2208
If your jewelry is expensive you had better have it appraised with a photograph. You can estimate the value now on the form because you will be importing it later and can correct any errors at that time if needed. The appraisals will also be useful for insurance purposes because they wont be covered if you do not declare them to the insurer.
Old May 15th 2014, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If your jewelry is expensive you had better have it appraised with a photograph. You can estimate the value now on the form because you will be importing it later and can correct any errors at that time if needed. The appraisals will also be useful for insurance purposes because they wont be covered if you do not declare them to the insurer.

What is considered expensive?
Old May 15th 2014, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

yaris6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently waiting for my PR via marriage sponsorship. I have been living here for over two years so far and won't be bringing the items I have back home for a few years. Do i have to fill this information in now, and where do I get the forms from. The only expensive items I have are a 1000 pound gibson guitar. Everything else is small stuff I accumulated over the years.
Old May 15th 2014, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yaris6
I am currently waiting for my PR via marriage sponsorship. I have been living here for over two years so far and won't be bringing the items I have back home for a few years. Do i have to fill this information in now, and where do I get the forms from. The only expensive items I have are a 1000 pound gibson guitar. Everything else is small stuff I accumulated over the years.
You can do a word document list of goods that will accompany at a later date with a brief description and approx value of the goods e.g. dining table $500, 4 x dining chairs $400 etc etc etc
Once you do the actual PR landing and are establishing a residence in Canada that is when the list of goods to follow is presented to CBSA. They will stamp the lists (one for CBSA, one for yourself) and thats it. The goods could be brought in 5 years later and then cleared on that list as goods to follow.