Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Urgent help needed regarding work visa!

Urgent help needed regarding work visa!

Old Aug 20th 2015, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help needed regarding work visa!

[QUOTE=rivingtonpike;11729033]
Originally Posted by bc2015
There's no "perhaps" about it, they have to apply for PR the same way as everyone else.

If you are under 30 and are working in a NOC 0/A/B job and have a degree then you would probably have enough points for an ITA anyway, so why would you bother with IEC if you want to move permanently?

You probably wouldn't. But if you were an Accounts Assistant with no degree and under 30, your only likely chance of gaining PR would be to use the IEC to gain points towards your total score and hopefully a positive LMIA.
In that situation, you would probably struggle to find work anyway.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

sfraser84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Time to be the bad guy again but this thread should be read by all current and future IEC applicants that the IEC is TEMPORARY unless you manage to secure PR status at a later date.
Unfortunately the poster seems to have applied in 2014 when it was only a 12 month work permit and is now a 24 month work permit.
We all know that competition for the limited IEC spots is fierce and there is NO GUARANTEE that applicants will be granted a place.
I have no idea what research the OP has done and when he started the process to look further into getting permanent status in Canada but he is now at a stage where he posts 2 months before the expiry of the work permit seeking advice.
He can try the Express Entry for federal skilled worker as suggested but will he qualify and meet the 67 points required?
He can hope he gets a spot for this years IEC but being in a pool of 3000 waiting doesn't look good.
He could change over to visitor status to see if one of those spots becomes available but would his employer hold open the job if he got one or managed to apply under EE?
Its very unfortunate that we read things like this but the reality is IEC does not guarantee that you can stay permanently in Canada.
Yes lesson learned for sure regarding IEC as not being guaranteed as I was accepted for the 2 year visa but then placed on a waiting list. I had secured full time employment in my field of experience but even that has not helped in applying for PR. Looks like i'm clutching at straws and will have to go home and start again as we discussed going on a visitor visa but the company cannot legally keep me employed and as a business need to find a replacement.

I appreciate everybody trying to help me out. Thank you!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

sfraser84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just calculated my score on a free Canada assessment website. According to them my score is 282.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:17 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sfraser84
I have just calculated my score on a free Canada assessment website. According to them my score is 282.
Again, no expert, but I would say that isn't going to be enough for the EE thingy. Bad luck, maybe you can go back to the UK and do "stuff" to improve your score. Good luck though.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You should not pay for an LMIA: an employer must do that and has to agree not to recover any costs related to it from the worker.

S
Old Aug 21st 2015, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Cubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant future

If it's just for PR there is no fee, and is there somewhere that says a worker can't pay the lawyer fees if an employer won't?
Old Aug 21st 2015, 4:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Use the official ones.

Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp

Would it be possible for you to get Provincial nomination? That would give you additional points.

http://www.albertacanada.com/opportu...-criteria.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 21st 2015 at 4:08 am.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cubiscus
The other option is offering to pay the costs so the employer doesn't have anything to lose by applying..
Which is illegal.

I'm not sure what points I have but for the CELPIP test I scored 11 for reading and writing, 9 for speaking and 8 for writing.

I also have Canadian family if that raises the score? 10 months experience working in Canada and over 8 years experience in the job sector i'm currently working in here in Canada.
Re points: then you should find out.

Start here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.as

Read this:
Six selection factors – Federal skilled workers

Then follow up here:
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool

As a general rule of thumb, assume that relatives in Canada will not make a significant difference on the points front, unless you are applying via PNP for a province where that counts.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Cubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant futureCubiscus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Which is illegal.
Source? If there's no LMIA fee you're paying lawyer costs.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Shirtback is right.

The LMIA application form includes Employer declarations where (among other things) the employer declares that they will not seek to recover costs related to an LMIA, either direct or indirect, from the foreign worker.

S
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

CIC & EDSC. If I can google, so can you. If one decides to retain a lawyer to explore / help with the possibilities, fair enough. However, this was not what you said/implied in the post I quoted, nor does it have anything to do with my reply.

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Shirtback is right.

The LMIA application form includes Employer declarations where (among other things) the employer declares that they will not seek to recover costs related to an LMIA, either direct or indirect, from the foreign worker.

S
+1.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You are free to offer whatever you wish. If you have a lawyer, I am sure they can advise you of the legalities. The employer would be at risk, not the employee.

It is illegal to charge an employee any recruitment fees, this would include LMIA, legal or any other fees in connection with securing employment. As an employer, risking the $100k fine (up to $1m total in a year) and future LMIA applications, not worth it. I for one would not need a TFW that much.