Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK Teacher wanting to apply for IEC

UK Teacher wanting to apply for IEC

Old Dec 3rd 2022, 10:45 am
Just Joined

shanet137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Teacher wanting to apply for IEC

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here but I have been reading the forums for quite some time.

I have been thinking about a move to Canada with my husband for several years now. We have family living in Ontario and have visited a number of times.

I am a qualified primary teacher with 7 years teaching experience in the UK.

Originally I was going to go down the EE route but now the IEC is opening I was thinking about applying for that instead. I know it doesn’t give you PR and I would be unable to teach but it does work out a lot cheaper and my points are coming up quite low (428). I was thinking I could then maybe work as a teaching assistant whilst hopefully going through the PR process whilst in Canada. Although, I haven’t actually checked out whether you need PR to be a teaching assistant.

Anyways, I guess I just wanted your views on choosing IEC over EE. I would love to hear from anyone who has applied for IEC in the past. It would also be amazing to hear from any UK teachers who have made the move.

😀

Last edited by shanet137; Dec 3rd 2022 at 10:55 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2022, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Teacher wanting to apply for IEC

Hi, welcome to BE.

What does your husband do and what is his points score? IEC would be great (assuming you're young enough of course), but it is a lottery system and teaching isn't a great route to PR. Have you seen our Wiki article about teaching in Canada?https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

So your husband may be a better option for the visa side of things.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 3rd 2022 at 1:06 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. My husband is in the Civil Service (in a management position) here in Northern Ireland.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shanet137
Thank you for your reply. My husband is in the Civil Service (in a management position) here in Northern Ireland.
OK and what's his points score on the CRS? Personal question I know, but how old are you both?
Old Dec 4th 2022, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK and what's his points score on the CRS? Personal question I know, but how old are you both?
his points are also coming out at 428. We are both 32.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you hold Irish Citizenship then you are both too old for the IEC
Old Dec 4th 2022, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Unless you hold Irish Citizenship then you are both too old for the IEC
  • be between the ages of 18 and 30 (inclusive)
Yes we both hold Irish citizenship so I believe we have until 35.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Then you are good to apply

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...e-wh#selection
Old Dec 4th 2022, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by shanet137
his points are also coming out at 428. We are both 32.
OK, so from what you've said IEC is your only option anyway if you want to go to Ontario. So apply when it reopens and hope you get lucky.

Good luck.
Old Dec 4th 2022, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so from what you've said IEC is your only option anyway if you want to go to Ontario. So apply when it reopens and hope you get lucky.

Good luck.
thank you 😊
Old Dec 30th 2022, 5:37 am
Just Joined

London2OntarioRealtor is an unknown quantity at this point

I am curious from your reseach is teaching in canada more rewarding then Uk. My sister is a teacher in uk and I always wondered how out canadain system of looking after teachers fairs. I know as a union maybe 1 or 2 years ago they agreed better pay terms with ontario goverments. Which was good. We recently had a union strike for Cupe which was the Early Learning and other non teacher workers in schools. I was happy that got resolved. I was on Cupe side even though bit worried about my kids having dayd off school which caused some sceduling headaches for alot of parents. Anyway best of luck with your process.
Old Jan 2nd 2023, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London2OntarioRealtor
I am curious from your reseach is teaching in canada more rewarding then Uk. My sister is a teacher in uk and I always wondered how out canadain system of looking after teachers fairs. I know as a union maybe 1 or 2 years ago they agreed better pay terms with ontario goverments. Which was good. We recently had a union strike for Cupe which was the Early Learning and other non teacher workers in schools. I was happy that got resolved. I was on Cupe side even though bit worried about my kids having dayd off school which caused some sceduling headaches for alot of parents. Anyway best of luck with your process.
we have a teacher friend who started in the UK. We gather from him if you can survive teaching in the UK you’ll be fine in Canada (generally speaking, given provincial differences) the hardest part is finding a job somewhere you’d actually want to live.