Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK Police Reprimand on 17 Year old son

UK Police Reprimand on 17 Year old son

Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:39 am
Just Joined

dirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nice
Default UK Police Reprimand on 17 Year old son

My family and I are looking to move to Canada as a long haul truck driver, my 18 year son's Police Certificate has come back with a "Reprimand" for "Destroy or Damage to property less than £5000" on it.

There was no fine he was just taken to a local police station and verbally reprimanded. Would anyone know would this effect us in anyway say applying for PR further down the line?

Many thanks

Ian
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Police Reprimand on 17 Year old son

Did he sign an official admission of guilt? If not, he ought to be deemed innocent until proven otherwise in a court of law.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

As you are saying it was a "reprimand" I am presuming it comes under the youth justice system - i.e. he was 17 or under at the time of reprimand.

According to http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/cyps/y..._reprimand.htm it states that whilst a reprimand is kept on record, it is NOT a conviction.

A reprimand or final warning is not a conviction and does not constitute a criminal record. However, police records are held for up to 10 years on young offenders who receive a reprimand or warning.

There is more info here: http://www.hampshire.police.uk/NR/rd...2F/0/09409.pdf

I would state on the forms that he received a reprimand (with a full explanation of what it is), an explanation of what he did and then state that it is not a conviction and he is deemed rehabilitated.

You may also want to mention (providing your son was 17 or under at the time of the reprimand) that under Canada's Youth Criminal Justice Act, records of reprimands are expunged after 2 months, providing no other offence was committed.

See:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/w...n/records.html

Sentence/Offence
Finding of guilt for which the youth received a reprimand

Record will be sealed or destroyed and cannot be disclosed:
After two months

Hope that helps put your mind at ease!

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

dirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nicedirtytrucker is just really nice

Thank you both for your replies,

Ian
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

fishbob9504 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dirtytrucker
My family and I are looking to move to Canada as a long haul truck driver, my 18 year son's Police Certificate has come back with a "Reprimand" for "Destroy or Damage to property less than £5000" on it.

There was no fine he was just taken to a local police station and verbally reprimanded. Would anyone know would this effect us in anyway say applying for PR further down the line?

Many thanks

Ian
Hi Ian,
I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in having a son with a reprimand on his police record. I am in the same position, and was wondering if it would affect our immigration application. My son now almost 19 allowed himself to be carried in a car that had been taken by his friend from his father without asking first. My son was 15 at the time and has not had any dealings with the police since. Like your son this does show on his police report.
If you look at the CIC website where it says "WERE YOU CONVICTED AS A JUVENILE" you will see that your son is not inadmissible as his event ooccurred when he was below the age of 18 in a country that has special provisions for young offenders. The uk has such provisions. In other words it should not be a problem for you and that is what the official Canadian CIC site states.
As you know this is not a conviction as your son was never taken to court but as it shows on his immigration police report that you will be sending to the Canadian authorities I believe that it should be disclosed on your application form just to show that you are not trying to hide the fact and risk the Canadian visa officer thinking that the application is dishonest.
This is the conclusion that I have come to after hours of research and speaking to immigration consultants on the matter but I would still suggest you seek further advice yourself just to be sure.
I hope this helps. Good luck to us both.
Bob.