Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK family wanting to move to Calgary

UK family wanting to move to Calgary

Old Mar 30th 2018, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

JHow16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK family wanting to move to Calgary

Hi,

After some advice please.

Myself and my partner would love to move to Calgary area with our 2 children (current ages are 3 and 1).

My partner is 39. He worked for a UK supermarket chain for 17 years, his last 5 years with them he was assistant deputy store manager. He has been working as an Hgv class 1 driver for the last 18 months. He completed high school and has GCSE's, after leaving high school he did a GNVQ in business studies.

I am 30. I have worked for the last 7 years as a care assistant in dementia care. I have completed high school with GCSE's, I have A Levels and NVQ level 2&3 in Health and Social care.

What would be the best route for us to take for applying for PR?

I've looked at EE, but unless we have experience of working in canada our points are to low to be in with a chance of receiving an ITA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK family wanting to move to Calgary

Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you don't score enough to get PR, then it sounds as though your only option will be for one of you to get a job offer from a sponsoring employer.

You could also look at the IEC visa, although as you're already 30 (it's only for those aged 30 and under) your chances are slim, but that would certainly be your easiest option if you do get lucky and get one, or if you don't turn 31 until later next year.

Unfortunately, your jobs aren't likely to lead to a LMIA/sponsorship, but all you can do is give it a try. Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, and get out there and job hunt, you may get lucky.

One other thing to be aware of, is that if you don't score enough for PR via EE now, then do make sure you will do once you've been in Canada on a work permit for a while. No point in spending tens of thousands on moving the family over if you have on route to stay permanently if you want to, so best to look in to that before you go.

HTH, and best of luck.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

JHow16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you don't score enough to get PR, then it sounds as though your only option will be for one of you to get a job offer from a sponsoring employer.

You could also look at the IEC visa, although as you're already 30 (it's only for those aged 30 and under) your chances are slim, but that would certainly be your easiest option if you do get lucky and get one, or if you don't turn 31 until later next year.

Unfortunately, your jobs aren't likely to lead to a LMIA/sponsorship, but all you can do is give it a try. Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, and get out there and job hunt, you may get lucky.

One other thing to be aware of, is that if you don't score enough for PR via EE now, then do make sure you will do once you've been in Canada on a work permit for a while. No point in spending tens of thousands on moving the family over if you have on route to stay permanently if you want to, so best to look in to that before you go.

HTH, and best of luck.
Sorry I've only just seen your reply.

Would he not be likely to get LMIA for a long haul trucking job?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JHow16
Sorry I've only just seen your reply.

Would he not be likely to get LMIA for a long haul trucking job?
Rarer than hens teeth since the restrictions on foreign workers were brought in from what I understand. Have a look at the truckers forum for more info, think there may have been a couple of companies mentioned in MB that will sponsor foreign workers, not heard of any in AB though but the truckers forum is the place to get the latest info.

HTH.