Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

UK citizen marrying Canadian in Canada, and returning to UK?

UK citizen marrying Canadian in Canada, and returning to UK?

Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Nick_n_Meg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen marrying Canadian in Canada, and returning to UK?

This is my first attempt at this, hello and sorry in advance if I've posted anything incorrectly.

Background:

I am a British police officer, met my Canadian partner in October last year. She is on a Youth Mobility visa which expires July 2015.

Intention:

Go to Canada (ON) in July 2015 and marry my partner there where her family can be with us to enjoy it. Go to the visa centre around a week later, after paying for the expedited marriage certificate (24hr turnaround). Apply for the spouse visa, and pay for the expedited turnaround on that too (expected to take about 2 weeks to process?)... I will return to the UK and she will follow a week or so later.

Question:

Are there any flaws in that plan?! I've heard said that the marriage certificate can take 3 months, but it clearly offers a quick service if paid for?
Are there any rules around marrying in Canada like that, about minimum time there before getting married, or before then leaving afterwards?
Are there any glaring things I need to think about, consider, or do to ensure all goes smoothly?!

I'm pulling my hair out, UK solicitors have no idea, Canadian visa / marriage forums aren't the most enlightening, and the horror stories are everywhere. HEEELLLPPP!

Merci!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

remysingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK citizen marrying Canadian in Canada, and returning to UK?

Hi Nick, my mum is also in this situation atm, she has a boyfriend in Canada wants to go there, marry him and stay but unsure on the process if she would have to marry then come back to Uk, everything really have you found any info yet?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Looks pretty solid but I would say those time frames are best case scenarios so be prepared to wait longer if necessary. For example your new wife may have wait a little longer for her spouse visa to come through before she can join you in the UK.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 12:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick_n_Meg
This is my first attempt at this, hello and sorry in advance if I've posted anything incorrectly.

Background:

I am a British police officer, met my Canadian partner in October last year. She is on a Youth Mobility visa which expires July 2015.

Intention:

Go to Canada (ON) in July 2015 and marry my partner there where her family can be with us to enjoy it. Go to the visa centre around a week later, after paying for the expedited marriage certificate (24hr turnaround). Apply for the spouse visa, and pay for the expedited turnaround on that too (expected to take about 2 weeks to process?)... I will return to the UK and she will follow a week or so later.

Question:

Are there any flaws in that plan?! I've heard said that the marriage certificate can take 3 months, but it clearly offers a quick service if paid for?
Are there any rules around marrying in Canada like that, about minimum time there before getting married, or before then leaving afterwards?
Are there any glaring things I need to think about, consider, or do to ensure all goes smoothly?!

I'm pulling my hair out, UK solicitors have no idea, Canadian visa / marriage forums aren't the most enlightening, and the horror stories are everywhere. HEEELLLPPP!

Merci!
There are few requirements to marrying in Canada other than going to obtain a marriage licence and proving that you are divorced if you have been married before. I don't know which Province or City you hope to marry in but details can be found online at any of the Provincial websites.
To apply for a marriage licence and certificate you will need:

The date you are planning to marry
Proof of your present marital status
Proof of identification (provincial or territorial driver's licence or birth certificate) A passport will also qualify for this.
Additional information may be required (such as divorce decree which has been certified)
Provinces and Territories - Service Canada

Marriage certificate issuance timelines again depends a lot on the Province.

As to your questions about the UK side of things, you are probably better to post on the Moving back to the UK forum (spouses and visas), which you can find here: Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas - British Expats

Welcome to BE, by the way!

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough

Hi, will take a bit longer than you think, allow about 2-3 months. First bit, get married, 2nd get all papers together, fill in the forms and start the process, pay your money. About £1000 make sure you have all paperwork. Do not miss anything. We did, cost us another £1000 but no need for lawyer. We could appeal but takes longer to do than resubmit.