Uk Carpenter to Ontario

Old May 3rd 2018, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

DafyddF is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Uk Carpenter to Ontario

Hi all.

Firstly, If this post is in the wrong place, please can it be moved.

Lets begin....

My name is Dafydd, I'm 24 and currently living in England. I hold my level 3 Carpentry certificate and have 5 years of experience on sites. My partner and her family are Canadian and I'm looking to move to Ontario with them. The only option I had on the CIC website was the Skilled Workers visa with Express Entry, this would also include permanent residency. Ive been told that with my score I would get an invitation to apply for the visa. So I've began the process by taking my English test and I've sent mt certificates away to be assessed, they should be back mid June. After they come back I'll then be applying for the Express Entry system and then onto the Skilled Workers visa. So really I'm just after some advice from people that have made the jump before.

So some questions...

How long does the visa roughly take come back with a decision?
How much money do I need to have available?
Would it be easier to ship power tools or sell and the buy new?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Dafydd F
Old May 3rd 2018, 8:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Carpenter to Ontario

Hello and welcome to BE!

If you are married or living as common-law partners (for a minimum of 1 year) with your Canadian partner, by far the easiest way of gaining Permanent residency would be for her to sponsor you as her spouse.

Old May 3rd 2018, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome Siouxie.

By August this year, I will be common law of 1 year with my partner

We have considered that if the visa gets rejected then we could get the marriage papers just for immigration purposes
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DafyddF
Thanks for the welcome Siouxie.

By August this year, I will be common law of 1 year with my partner

We have considered that if the visa gets rejected then we could get the marriage papers just for immigration purposes
You don't need to be married to get a spouse visa for Canada. Just proof and a declaration that you've been living together as a de facto couple.

Do not get married just for a visa. That almost never leads to good things.
Old May 4th 2018, 7:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The only option I had on the CIC website was the Skilled Workers visa with Express Entry, this would also include permanent residency. Ive been told that with my score I would get an invitation to apply for the visa. So I've began the process by taking my English test and I've sent mt certificates away to be assessed, they should be back mid June.
If you're a carpenter then it should be the Federal Skilled Trades program you'd be eligible under, not the FSW? Have you done another job previously that qualifies you for the FSW program?

How long does the visa roughly take come back with a decision?
Once you've applied, then around 6 months is the norm. Add on a few months to get all your paperwork together and to get an ITA, so maybe spring next year as a rough guide.

$12,475 for your proof of funds. Add on another chunk for your visa and moving costs, maybe around $20k in total?

Not a clue I'm afraid! That's a question for the main forums, as it's not visa related so may get missed in here. I suspect a search may give you the answer from people that have asked the question previously.

HTH, good luck.
Old May 4th 2018, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all the the responses!

I forgot to ask one question though...

Can I still visit Canada for a holiday with an ETA, whilst the visa process is going on?
Old May 5th 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent my certificates away to be assessed
Which certificates and where did you send them? If you are referring to your carpentry certs and you have sent them away for an ECA then they will not be assessed as they are not academic qualifications.

As mentioned above you will most likely need to be looking into the FST route https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

For this you will need either a job offer in Canada or a certificate of qualification issued by a Canadian province or territory. To get this cert you will need to challenge the red seal system. I will let others give more details on this who have been through it.

Good luck
Old May 5th 2018, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all the the responses!

I forgot to ask one question though...

Can I still visit Canada for a holiday with an ETA, whilst the visa process is going on?
Yes.
Old May 12th 2018, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

I’m getting my credentials assessed through ICAS. I believe out of all the assessment companies out there, ICAS will assess trade certificates.

Also I went back on the CIC website to just to see what options I had at hand and it said I would be eligable to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker which goes through the Federal Trade Worker.

Last edited by DafyddF; May 12th 2018 at 8:20 pm.
Old May 12th 2018, 9:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I’m getting my credentials assessed through ICAS. I believe out of all the assessment companies out there, ICAS will assess trade certificates.

Also I went back on the CIC website to just to see what options I had at hand and it said I would be eligable to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker which goes through the Federal Trade Worker.
Federal Skilled Worker and Federal Skilled Trade are two separate programs. Both come under EE and result in PR, but each has different eligibility requirements etc.

FST is specifically for trades including carpenters.

HTH.