Uh Oh Strike on Again

Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:04 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uh Oh Strike on Again

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Equality of responsibility levels. Similar positions in other departments are paid substantially higher wages.
The key word is "similar". It's different from "same".

Sounds a bit like envy to me. Perhaps the other people need their wages reduced...rough economic times and all that
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:05 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I can guarantee you that Police Officers, EMS, and Firemen are all paid different wages in numerous cities across Canada and you wonder why is that?
Do you know why?
They all have different employers with agreed pay scales. They may even do different duties depending on what is in their contracts. As my other post eludes to - having a similar job title doesn't necessarily entitle you, by default, to have the highest wage of someone else in a similar role.

Last edited by orly; Jun 7th 2013 at 3:13 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:22 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't affect LMOs as they are processed by Service Canada employees who are not part of this group of Federal employees.
Thanks for the feedback FL
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
They all have different employers with agreed pay scales. They may even do different duties depending on what is in their contracts. As my other post eludes to - having a similar job title doesn't necessarily entitle you, by default, to have the highest wage of someone else in a similar role.
So explain this one
I am employed by the Canada Border Services Agency. It doesn't matter if I am working at Vancouver Airport or at the Snowflake highway crossing in Manitoba I get paid the same. Totally different jobs but paid the same.
Same as if I was working at the Halifax Marine Port of Entry Im paid the same.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:30 pm
The ride never ends

So explain this one
I am employed by the Canada Border Services Agency. It doesn't matter if I am working at Vancouver Airport or at the Snowflake highway crossing in Manitoba I get paid the same. Totally different jobs but paid the same.
Same as if I was working at the Halifax Marine Port of Entry Im paid the same.
What's "totally different" about the job besides the location?

In addition, if you're employed by the CBSA is there not an expectation that you might be required to work in different locations?

Last edited by orly; Jun 7th 2013 at 3:34 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What's "totally different" about the job besides the location?
Mmmm let me think about that one.
Snowflake officers do not deal with Commercial shipments being imported.
Snowflake officers will rarely issue a work permit or do a landing for PR.
Snowflake officers will not examine sea or rail containers.
Snowflake officers will not work midnight shifts.
Snowflake officers will not deal with emergency landings of aircraft.
Snowflake officers will not do Duty Free audits.
Snowflake officers will not do CANPASS verifications or enrolments in the NEXUS programme.

Should I carry on or do you get the concept?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:46 pm
The ride never ends

Snowflake officers will not do CANPASS verifications or enrolments in the NEXUS programme.

Lucky them eh? Were you misinformed when you took the job or was it written into your contract that you didn't have to work any harder than the next guy?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lucky them eh? Were you misinformed when you took the job?
Not at all and I dont begrudge those officers getting paid the same as me as they are still expected to do their job the same as Im expected to do mine.
Im not complaining about it either we have our own beef with Treasury Board
Think of a firefighter employed by City of Toronto they are all paid the same regardless of if they work in the busiest station or work in a not so busy station.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:54 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the matter of judgement and authority.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond repute

A Canadian soldier in Afghanistan gets paid the same as a soldier in a cushy office in HQ Ottawa who would probably not have to worry about having his butt shot off. However, the latter may have the expectation to be in that situation sometime - hence the same pay! Location should not matter if you are doing the same job!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:14 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Dorftrottel
A Canadian soldier in Afghanistan gets paid the same as a soldier in a cushy office in HQ Ottawa who would probably not have to worry about having his butt shot off. However, the latter may have the expectation to be in that situation sometime - hence the same pay! Location should not matter if you are doing the same job!
Actually Canadian Military overseas, i.e. Afghanistan receive danger pay of about $1500 per month (scheduled to be reduced by 30%
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond reputeDorftrottel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Actually Canadian Military overseas, i.e. Afghanistan receive danger pay of about $1500 per month (scheduled to be reduced by 30%
You are mixing pay with overseas allowances.

Government officials also receive allowances for working overseas!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult, while I can see they should be paid the same, the cost of living in some of those countries is a lot lower than Canada. I read the top comment from that person who worked in the middle east, and I couldn't help but think a $65k salary there is going to be many times more than what the locals make and can get you a decent lifestyle, seemed like the poster was caught up comparing his lifestyle to that of the oil company reps.

Then again if you go to South Korea to teach English, you get paid on par with what English teachers are paid in English speaking countries, which is a huge salary compared to many of the locals. But that is hugely incentivised.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

From the PAFSO website today: http://www.pafso.com/news_releases.php?newsID=151
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:57 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
It's difficult, while I can see they should be paid the same, the cost of living in some of those countries is a lot lower than Canada. I read the top comment from that person who worked in the middle east, and I couldn't help but think a $65k salary there is going to be many times more than what the locals make and can get you a decent lifestyle, seemed like the poster was caught up comparing his lifestyle to that of the oil company reps.

Then again if you go to South Korea to teach English, you get paid on par with what English teachers are paid in English speaking countries, which is a huge salary compared to many of the locals. But that is hugely incentivised.
You seem to be forgetting health conditions and personal danger and other considerations of living and working in some countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.