Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

uh oh... crossing the border this time, issues?

Wikiposts

uh oh... crossing the border this time, issues?

Old Dec 31st 2004, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

indefinitely is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy uh oh... crossing the border this time, issues?

here's an interesting situation, which i, sadly, hadn't thought might be an issue until someone else brought it up.

i went to ontario in november of 2003 (i flew), had a return ticket for a month later... but i ended up staying a few weeks (a month, i guess) longer because some friends of mine decided to come up from the states to visit, and then i drove down with them.
now, i'd never made the trip to/from canada in a car... and so i thought it was their procedure to not check the computer or anything, maybe because we were american?... because well, they didn't. they simply looked at our passports/DL-birthcertificates... and let us pass after we'd explained our travel plans (that we were just going home).
i stayed between new york and mass. for a good part of the year, traveling and visiting friends and family... and then went back to ontario right before halloween... and flew back home to california on the 7th of december...
my ISSUE is that... well, they didn't go about a 'visitor record' or any some such when i drove back across the border in october, either.
will the immigration office assume that i've been in ontario since november of 2003? ugh.
i mean, when i flew back to california they asked me how long i'd been in ontario... and i was honest, it'd been just over 5 weeks... and they didn't say anything... so i'd assumed i was okay...
but i'm going to be flying into ontario (toronto) next week, after getting married to my canadian fiance... i'm hoping there are no issues.
anyone have any ideas?
i tried calling the canadian consulate general in both los angeles and buffalo... but buffalo wasn't helpful at all, saying there's no one in immigration that i can TALK to... and los angeles hasn't gotten back to me, and i'm afraid they may not be able to tell me anything anyway.
what should i do?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:34 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uh oh... crossing the border this time, issues?

Dont worry about it, it doesnt sound like you did anything wrong.

Might be worth taking any credit card statements or other proof you have to show you were in the states for the time you say you were, just to be on the safe side though.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

indefinitely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uh oh... crossing the border this time, issues?

Originally Posted by iaink
Dont worry about it, it doesnt sound like you did anything wrong.

Might be worth taking any credit card statements or other proof you have to show you were in the states for the time you say you were, just to be on the safe side though.

that would be a great idea, actually... i hadn't thought of that...
err... except... i don't have a credit card *L* i didn't make any major purchases, so i didn't keep any receipts... i don't really have proof.
i could try to THINK of something by way of proof.... i don't know.
thank you for the advice