TWP v's Open Work Permit

Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

AnDee3238 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP v's Open Work Permit

Hi everybody, ive been reading the wiki and CIC website all afternoon but cant seem to find an answer to this one, and i apologise if its been asked and answered before.

Im currently in the UK and marrying my Fiance whos in Saskatchewan at the end of October. I was planning on going back over at the beginning of October to finish prepping for the wedding and then stay over until 1st December before returning to work back in UK until all paperwork was processed for spousal sponsorship. Now i have the opportunity to take voluntary redundancy leaving by 18th June and going over sooner. My question is if i can get a job with a temporary work permit, can i then apply for the spousal open work permit once we are married and transfer over or am i locked in to the TWP until it expires.

apologies for it being longwinded but i thought it better to explain, cheers in advance for any help and guidance you can give.

Andy
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:37 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP v's Open Work Permit

Yep, that's fine... but be aware that getting a TWP is going to be really difficult, especially if you tell your employer that you'll be able to switch to an OWP in the near future. The employer has to pay $1000 for the LMIA application and advertise the job nationally for at least 4 weeks, then there's the processing time... so let's say you found someone right in June to apply for LMIA... you'd not get a TWP for probably 3-4 months, which puts you to October... if you file your application in October, assuming that you are talking about applying inland, it basically means you're asking an employer to do all that for you for like 4-5 months worth of TWP time. In my opinion, it's excessively unlikely.

Have you thought about applying outland instead? Do you qualify as common-law? I know you are living apart right now, but had you previously established 12 months of living together before being separated?

Another option, if you don't qualify for common-law, is to do a courthouse wedding now, and then apply as outland spousal immediately. That should get you PR by the end of the year, based on current averages (See the spreadsheet in my signature and the FAQ page). Just food for thought!
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

AnDee3238 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply SchnookoLoly, i kinda had a thought about the processing times, fees to pay and time inbetween aswell as the question i asked, when you put it all together it doesnt really look good does it,

unfortunately common law is out as we havent lived together, we do have everything booked for 31st Oct though, was just trying to piece together some kind of plan to get us together quicker as this redundancy thing has just popped up and trying to take advantage of the situation.

thanks again and keep up the great work, this site is invaluable to all of us :-)
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:27 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

In that case then you can have the majority of your application ready to go before you get married... fill out the forms, do your medical, get your police checks, etc. Then after you get married, add your certificate and pop it in the post.

Do still consider the pros and cons between inland vs outland, you can find them on the wiki article. There are arguments both ways, it will be up to you to decide which arguments suit your circumstances better.

And don't forget you can always do a courthouse wedding, like, tomorrow and then apply, and do your "proper" wedding in October as planned - this is totally fine and happens often.

Good luck!