Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP runs out in 6m Permanent Residence in 27 months

TWP runs out in 6m Permanent Residence in 27 months

Old Apr 11th 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Clearpupil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TWP runs out in 6m Permanent Residence in 27 months

That's really interesting, but the system is crazy. I wouldn't be so upset, I mean I'm working in Canada and living with my family. My wife's Canadian and we're both in healthcare it's not like we're criminals or something. But my sister in law via an arranged marriage in June 2014 applied in Algiers via a Christian organization, my brother in law is Canadian, and she got the PR in 4 months. Ok I'm happy for her and everything, but I've been married to my Canadian wife for 20 years and we're still in the dark as if we were Bonny and Clyde ha ha.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clearpupil
But my sister in law via an arranged marriage in June 2014 applied in Algiers via a Christian organization, my brother in law is Canadian, and she got the PR in 4 months. Ok I'm happy for her and everything, but I've been married to my Canadian wife for 20 years and we're still in the dark as if we were Bonny and Clyde ha ha.
That's bonkers.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 1:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
Thats the usual time inland Steve, it takes CIC 17 months just to determine if the spouse is eligible to sponsor..yet 2-3 months if you apply to the London office. Then checking all the bits and bobs for the person sponsored, the work permits only came in because one chap managed to get the press involved and the minister brought in the 1 year pilot post-haste, so that a married person (with possibly the best reason to be here) could at least work and support the family (prior to that you had no right to work while awaiting your decision on PR)..but no one knows yet if these will be renewed. Honestly if I had 18,800 pounds i would take my partner back to the UK rather than stay...thats what the UK government want in the bank to prove I can support her...needless to say after 8 months waiting for a work permit I don't even have 18,800 pence...so stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea.
That's not quite correct... be careful about posting stuff you've made assumptions about.

When you apply outland, the sponsor is assessed in complete isolation of the rest of the application, other than the VO checking that the application is complete. The the whole application is forwarded to the appropriate visa office abroad for them to carry out the remainder of the assessment.

When you apply inland, the VO assesses the sponsor AND makes a preliminary assessment of the whole of the application, hence there is no "sponsor approval" with an inland application, but instead "approval in principal" which means that both the sponsor has been approved AND it looks like everything with the rest of the application is in order, then the file is transferred elsewhere internally for the remainder of the assessment to be carried out. This is why inland applications take SO much longer - "straight forward" applications are mixed with much more complex applications from all over the world. In addition, there is no appeals process with inland applications and as such there tends to be much more back and forth between inland CIC and the applicant requesting more information and more evidence if there are any question marks on the file.

In addition, saying that the spouse had no right to work is also not accurate. You have always been able to apply for an OWP with an inland application, but prior to the pilot program, the OWP was only granted once AIP was also received, assuming that the applicant sent an OWP alongside their application, so AIP and an OWP would arrive together. The pilot program only changed the timing of the OWP, allowing it to be issued within 4 months of the application being filed as opposed to waiting the 17ish months for AIP.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

??...usual processing time for Assessment of sponsor 17 months..correct..we both said this, both then get the "bits and bobs" for the person sponsored, it's the same for internal or external. I'm not a Mod or a concierge, so I said bits and bobs, rather than advanced to visa office for checking.

Prior to pilot, no work permit until AIP..we both said this, but maybe my terminology is off, decision on PR/ AIP, I am JUST a member after all, as my signature states, which IS a decision, either way an internal applicant could not work for 17 months at the earliest while external got it (everything) quicker, which was why the NZ husband went to the press, which for once worked when they posted pictures of the happy family with cute kids, and the minister brought in the pilot. No one knows (as you yourself stated days ago) if these visas will be renewed.

I really didn't say anything about the ins and outs of the specific application process, so picking me apart on something i didn't say..?

I assure you in future I will be VERY careful what I post!
Old Apr 13th 2015, 4:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's just the way you're writing it, but the way your posts come across, it's not conveying what you think it is. Examples:

Thats the usual time inland Steve, it takes CIC 17 months just to determine if the spouse is eligible to sponsor..yet 2-3 months if you apply to the London office.
That's what you originally wrote that I quoted. Then in your second post above, you wrote:
??...usual processing time for Assessment of sponsor 17 months..correct..
To a newbie reading that, they are reading that it takes 17 months for sponsor approval if you apply inland, but only 2-3 months if you apply outland. I pointed out that this is not true, because while the 17 months for inland INCLUDES sponsor approval, it ALSO includes a load of other stuff pertaining to the rest of the application, whereas outland is ONLY sponsor approval, hence the massive difference in processing times. Your post implies that it's only sponsor approval that takes 17 vs 3 months.

Then:

Then checking all the bits and bobs for the person sponsored, the work permits only came in because one chap managed to get the press involved and the minister brought in the 1 year pilot post-haste, so that a married person (with possibly the best reason to be here) could at least work and support the family (prior to that you had no right to work while awaiting your decision on PR)..but no one knows yet if these will be renewed.
This just makes no sense at all. I don't even get what you're trying to say here. The "bits and bobs" for the sponsored person - if you apply inland, then those parts take place in both stages of the application process. If you apply outland, then those parts only take place at the visa office abroad.

Then you also say as well that "the minister brought in the one-year pilot project so at least a married person could at least work and support the family"... which implies that previously the person cold not work, which was not accurate.

But then in the second post:
we both said this, both then get the "bits and bobs" for the person sponsored, it's the same for internal or external. Prior to pilot, no work permit until AIP..we both said this, but maybe my terminology is off, decision on PR/ AIP,
I see nowhere in your original post where you say that the sponsored person could work after AIP. It's not there. It might be much eariler in the thread but I'm not backtracking to find it. The point is that that post makes it sound like they couldn't work at all.

I'm not a Mod or a concierge, so I said bits and bobs, rather than advanced to visa office for checking.
And as I said before, mod or concierge has nothing to do with giving advice. Mods are just around to make sure that rules aren't being broken and to tell spammers to p*ss off... and concierges are just here to help make newbies feel welcomed. It has nothing to do with the "accuracy" of immigration info, so don't make that mistake.

As for the rest of it, I have no idea what you're going on about. You managed to confuse even me!!

All I'm saying is to just be 100% sure of advice before you give it, and to make sure you take the time to type it out in full, don't just type half-thoughts that are open to interpretation and easy to misunderstand, which it looks like may have happened here. Newbies come on here for advice, and there are TONS of lurkers reading what is written, so it's important that if you are going to give advice that you keep it objective, clear, and concise. (adding in the bit about going back to the UK and proving £18k or whatever it was wasn't particularly clear and also not that helpful - the Canadian then faces the same issue about not being able to work in the UK but that's a whole other debate that we are not going to go into here).

If you want to debate further, please PM me instead so that we don't completely hijack the OP's thread. Thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2015, 8:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
Thats the usual time inland Steve, it takes CIC 17 months just to determine if the spouse is eligible to sponsor..yet 2-3 months if you apply to the London office.
Well the fact that they're taking that long and had to introduce work permits indicates that they're understaffed, which is the typical thing CIC do, move staff around.

So I would see my MP and then go to court and apply for a writ of mandamus against CIC and if that doesn't work, I would then do basically nothing because I find it hard to believe CBSA are going to commence removal proceedings against someone who has a timely filed application and most likely even if they did the IJ would defer the hearing until after the processing time cited by CIC. And if they were nutty enough to actually try, I would produce the proof of trying to get a writ of mandamus against the CIC in court and ask for a continuance until CIC had processed it.

But hey, that's just me, if you all want to roll over and be all British about it and queue up endlessly...

If USCIS can do it in six months, I can't see any real reason why CIC can't, and bear in mind USCIS operate on full cost recovery, they don't get money from the government directly.