Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWp and resigning from current job

Wikiposts

TWp and resigning from current job

Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

send out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: TWp and resigning from current job

Originally Posted by westlanechick
We are here on TWP, arrived May 30th. We did not need medicals so got our WP at POE. We both finished work 2 weeks before we flew out. Thought that would be enough time to get things sorted but could have done with an extra week. Worst part was getting rid of stuff, ended up giving most of it away.
Hope you get to hand in that notice soon. Just think about the extra cash you will have to spend when you get here.
How did you find getting your TWP at POE? Are they really as bad as we've heard? We don't need medicals so we wil be good to go once we get the LMO sorted. I am seriously considering this, what did you bring for documentation?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by send out the calgary
How did you find getting your TWP at POE? Are they really as bad as we've heard? We don't need medicals so we wil be good to go once we get the LMO sorted. I am seriously considering this, what did you bring for documentation?
The CBSA are not as bad as you have obviously heard. As long as you have all of the stuff which you need for them to process the LMO/TWP letter whichever you have then you will be fine.

Of course they will ask you some questions and as long as you tell them the truth then you should be fine.

You will need

LMO or TWP letter - whichever you have
Copy of any professional qualification certificates/degrees
GTF list
Marraige certs, birth certs of any accompanying spouse and children

That should do it
Old Aug 13th 2008, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

westlanechick is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't have too much trouble at immigration, although they were very busy so were there for over three hours.

We had job offer letter from employer, LMO, and anything else that we thought we would need. If you are not sure what you will need then I suggest have everything to hand just in case. The officer we had was very helpful. We asked what would happen if hubby got another job offer, and was told to just get the work permit changed.

The only problem we have had is getting TWP's for our two boys. They are 19 and 22 and are here on an extented visitor visa. They couldn't get TWP's even though we were told by the recruitment company that they would get them. We are trying to get them changed but have had to send the forms to Vegreville, AB as border crossings would not give them.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Sorry to be nosy Starlight, what do you do for a living???
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

send out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the roughsend out the calgary is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by westlanechick
We didn't have too much trouble at immigration, although they were very busy so were there for over three hours.

We had job offer letter from employer, LMO, and anything else that we thought we would need. If you are not sure what you will need then I suggest have everything to hand just in case. The officer we had was very helpful. We asked what would happen if hubby got another job offer, and was told to just get the work permit changed.

The only problem we have had is getting TWP's for our two boys. They are 19 and 22 and are here on an extented visitor visa. They couldn't get TWP's even though we were told by the recruitment company that they would get them. We are trying to get them changed but have had to send the forms to Vegreville, AB as border crossings would not give them.
Thanks for info. Did you have to have proof of earnings or will your job offer be sufficient? Also if we are going on a TFW visa but plan to stay by Alberta PNP or whichever way we do it, do we have to mention that? I read that you have to show that you intend leaving the country after the set time but the company my husband will be working for has sent him a permanent not a fixed term contract?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 3:06 am
Just Joined

westlanechick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by send out the calgary
Thanks for info. Did you have to have proof of earnings or will your job offer be sufficient? Also if we are going on a TFW visa but plan to stay by Alberta PNP or whichever way we do it, do we have to mention that? I read that you have to show that you intend leaving the country after the set time but the company my husband will be working for has sent him a permanent not a fixed term contract?
No we didn't get asked to show any proof of earnings. The job offer hubby had was also permanent but they only give temporary work permits. Ours is for two years and we are hoping that our PR comes through before it runs out.
We applied back in February 2006 so we should be hearing something soon. We have sent off letter from employer, pay slip etc, and are hoping that CIC will expedite our application.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

starlight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fozzy33
Sorry to be nosy Starlight, what do you do for a living???
I'm an occupational therapist and working for the NHS
Old Aug 14th 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Had a feeling you worked for the NHS.

Its funny how we are all desparate to get out.

I am thinking about putting my notice in next week, have been off on holiday for a week and I'm dreading going back already.

could always work on the bank for a month or so. Will wait and see what its like, I think I will steal that idea of writing it, and leaving it in my bag.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

sioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant futuresioux has a brilliant future

I am thinking about putting my notice in next week, have been off on holiday for a week and I'm dreading going back already.

could always work on the bank for a month or so. Will wait and see what its like, I think I will steal that idea of writing it, and leaving it in my bag.
I had to give 2 months notice so I resigned at the beginning of July when I had submmited my application. I have some annual leave so I am now at home, not going back to work...EVER! I will never forget the feeling of handing in my resignation..the look on my managers faceits great coz i am doing a lot of bank and don't need to wory about politics etc and I have the flexibility I need and want. I am hoping to get WP at the end of the month..fingers and toes crossed
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NSpaul
If it was me I'd hold off as long as possible - right until I was ready to move. I've had jobs I've hated and I know what it's like but try to focus purely on the money and save as much as you possibly can out of everything you earn over the next few weeks. You could even open a Canadian dollar account if you dont already have one and put everything you save into that - it will seem like you're saving twice as much

When you get to Canada you'll have a bit of extra cash to spend on something nice and the extra few weeks you worked will just be a distant memory anyway!
Sometimes this may not be much of an option if you have a long notice period. I have a notice period of 8 weeks. If I waited 2+ months for the Work Permit and then handed the notice in this could be a deal breaker. It be may possible to retract your resignation of course, although you may have compromised your position if you do this.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Are you a nurse Fozzy? I am typing my resignation letter as we speak! Planning on leaving it in my bag too I so wish I could do bank work. I have looked into doing locum work but an agency I'm currently with have informed me it's pretty quiet in the locum front at the moment. I was sitting in Costa the other day and was tempted to pick up a job application! I don't mind working in a less stressful job. Im fed up with the NHS, the work politics and the daily soap dramas

Sioux, hope you get your work permit soon, will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. Let us know how you get on
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi Starlight,

I have started mine tonight!!!

Feeling brave.
You mean you cant be bothered with the he said she said b*****ks???
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Go for it Fozzy

"the busybody", "the work enthusiast/manager", ''the know it all'', they drive me nuts even in small doses. I can't even begin to explain what they are like 37.5 hours a week. I have little guidance from my senior, but they are always quick to tell me when I do something wrong. And the next person at work who asks me when I'm going to Canada, I swear I will punch their lights out!! :curse:
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

My hate at the moment, is any news on your house sale yet??

I really feel like telling them what I think, but nicely say no not yet, thanks for asking

I swear they just ask to wind me up!!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

My hate at the moment, is any news on your house sale yet??

I really feel like telling them what I think, but nicely say no not yet, thanks for asking

I swear they just ask to wind me up!!

I know how you feel I have been keeping a low profile at work recently. I typed my resignation letter and now we will see how long I can stick with the job. At least your medicals are out the way! It won't be long now till you hear some good news. How long did you have to wait until your medical requests came through. I've only been waiting for a week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.