Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWp and resigning from current job

TWp and resigning from current job

Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

starlight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWp and resigning from current job

I just sent off my application for work permit to London last friday (who knows how long that will take )

Im still working in my current job here in the UK and was curious to know when you handed in your resignation at work. Im desperate to leave my job, and dont think I could cope another week of it. From reading some of the topics on the forum it appears to be taking roughly 7-12 weeks for CHC to process and send work permits? I was aiming to hand in my notice once I received my medical request but Im curious to know what others have done in this situation.

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future
Default Re: TWp and resigning from current job

Hi Starlight,

I am in the same position, its a total trial to get to work everyday.

I had my medical last week, but still reluctant to hand my notice in as other guys on the forum have had to wait such a long time, although if I could afford it I would hand mine in tomorrow.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

hey fozzy, you are very lucky - wish it was me having my medicals! I feel the next 2 or 3 months are going to drag in for me.

I am very tempted but I know it's risky. Could do with the spare cash too

*sighs*
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Once you get the letter for your TWP from London you will a date about 6 months head by which time you should have collected the TWP from a POE into Canada - so there will be no problem giving notice and getting here in time
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I resigned the day my LMO came through. Im applying for TWP at Calgary airport...
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I resigned the day my LMO came through. Im applying for TWP at Calgary airport...
If a medical is required then this option can not be used.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:20 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starlight
I just sent off my application for work permit to London last friday (who knows how long that will take )

Im still working in my current job here in the UK and was curious to know when you handed in your resignation at work. Im desperate to leave my job, and dont think I could cope another week of it. From reading some of the topics on the forum it appears to be taking roughly 7-12 weeks for CHC to process and send work permits? I was aiming to hand in my notice once I received my medical request but Im curious to know what others have done in this situation.

Thanks
If it was me I'd hold off as long as possible - right until I was ready to move. I've had jobs I've hated and I know what it's like but try to focus purely on the money and save as much as you possibly can out of everything you earn over the next few weeks. You could even open a Canadian dollar account if you dont already have one and put everything you save into that - it will seem like you're saving twice as much

When you get to Canada you'll have a bit of extra cash to spend on something nice and the extra few weeks you worked will just be a distant memory anyway!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSpaul
If it was me I'd hold off as long as possible - right until I was ready to move. I've had jobs I've hated and I know what it's like but try to focus purely on the money and save as much as you possibly can out of everything you earn over the next few weeks. You could even open a Canadian dollar account if you dont already have one and put everything you save into that - it will seem like you're saving twice as much

When you get to Canada you'll have a bit of extra cash to spend on something nice and the extra few weeks you worked will just be a distant memory anyway!
I think your right, and it's probably a sensible thing to do. I never thought of opening a Canadian account at this stage, I think that is a fab idea it would certainly encourage me to hang onto my job as I could benefit from the extra cash.

I will just have grin and bear with it for the next 2/3 months.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:09 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I think your right, and it's probably a sensible thing to do. I never thought of opening a Canadian account at this stage, I think that is a fab idea it would certainly encourage me to hang onto my job as I could benefit from the extra cash.

I will just have grin and bear with it for the next 2/3 months.
When I had a job I hated I wrote my resignation letter months before I eventually handed it in. I had it in my bag every day when I went to work - it sort of made me feel better knowing that I could hand it at any moment if i really wanted to. But I just kept thinking about the money and didnt hand it in until I had to. It sounds really stupid but having the letter in my bag made me feel like I was in control of the situation and then it didnt seem so bad
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NSpaul
When I had a job I hated I wrote my resignation letter months before I eventually handed it in. I had it in my bag every day when I went to work - it sort of made me feel better knowing that I could hand it at any moment if i really wanted to. But I just kept thinking about the money and didnt hand it in until I had to. It sounds really stupid but having the letter in my bag made me feel like I was in control of the situation and then it didnt seem so bad
I have been contemplating typing up my resignation letter this week. I don't see the harm in it to be honest. The only problem is, my boss is hardly ever in our dept so handing the letter to her immediately is not really an option for me. I suppose I could send it via email

Arrghhh this is going to be long 2 months! At least I have got some annual leave to take but still have to give 4 weeks notice. Roll on November
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

I love it NSpaul Excellent.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Thanks
As soon as I get my LMO decision then I'm handing in my notice - then again being freelance I'm on only 5 working days. One month's notice would be a 'killer'. I have found my productivity and concentration in my current job has been shot to pieces so maybe I'd be doing my current employer a favour by jacking straight away. They could find a replacement who actually cares about the job.

I don't know what your notice period is Starlight. If it's a month then wait another two weeks then resign.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:52 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Im in same boat - had my medical 2 weeks ago - but havent handed my notice in yet " just incase" . Only problem is as soon as i get my approval for twp i want to go asap - so having to wait 4 weeks to work my notice will be a pain in the butt, especially as I have a job waiting.
Im petrified that if i hand it in now, I'll get knocked back and then Im stuffed - but im going to have to take the risk at some point, just plucking up courage
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

I had a stressful day at work, and was very tempted to quit today! I think I could handle another 2 or 3 weeks but I have to give at least 4 weeks notice which obviously adds another month. If I didn't require a medical I would have applied for twp at port of entry.

Tanah, I doubt you will get knocked back, and I am sure you will have good news very soon!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

westlanechick is an unknown quantity at this point

We are here on TWP, arrived May 30th. We did not need medicals so got our WP at POE. We both finished work 2 weeks before we flew out. Thought that would be enough time to get things sorted but could have done with an extra week. Worst part was getting rid of stuff, ended up giving most of it away.
Hope you get to hand in that notice soon. Just think about the extra cash you will have to spend when you get here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.