Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

TWP - Promotion / Variation of Duties

TWP - Promotion / Variation of Duties

Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough
Default TWP - Promotion / Variation of Duties

Hi,

I have been vaguely wondering something about TWP and it has prompted this question which is somewhat of academic interest but I feel relevant none the less.

If you are working on a TWP/LMO job and after a period of time your manager wants to gives you extra duties to perform because you are now more efficient and have spare time to do stuff in. What happens with regards to the validity or violation of the TWP.

If I have a TWP as a bar man, and one day my boss says, you know what Ben I would like you to start checking the delivery we get from the wholesaler and stack it in the cellar from now on. Oh and be sure that when you bring the new barrels out you get the old ones first. When you have done that we will open up.

Then the next day the EPOS computer/till in the bar stops working but because I am handy with the stock management software in the cellar and I happen to play loads of computer games on my PC at home and know all about SquiglyaBytes and Rodents - I manage to fix the computer and get the printer working again without having to call out an IT engineer.

When do you stop being a bar man NOC approved LMO & TWP and turn into something else.

Can you have your duties changed or be promoted or does that require a new visa + LMO or is this ok because it is the same employer?

Does anyone know?

Kind Regards

Ben

Last edited by BenB2; Aug 28th 2008 at 9:20 am.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future
Default Re: TWP - Promotion / Variation of Duties

If the conditions of your original TWP change then you have to apply to CIC to have those change of conditions noted and a new TWP issued. If you visit the CIC website you can read about this.

In your barman example, you'd still be a barman - okay, so you do a couple of minor tasks outwith serving drinks, but you are still primarliy employed as a barman which is on your TWP. It would only be different if your employer said, I'd like you to stop serving behind the bar and work full-time looking after our accounts, for example, or he changes your duties to such an extent that you no longer work full-time as a barman, perhaps you're assistant manager. It's then you'd need to contact CIC to have your conditions on your TWP changed - CIC then may ask for a LMO before issuing a new TWP. It's really at the point that you are no longer working as a barman, but as something else with that employer that you should contact CIC.

I was in a situation in which my conditions changed whilst on a TWP, I ended up having to go for an interview at the CIC office in Victoria before the new TWP was issued.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

My TWP stated that I was a 'Marketing and Sales Manager'. It was issued on the basis of me owning and running my own business, an equestrian centre. Marketing and sales accounted for perhaps 1% of what I actually did. 99% of my time was spent either on a tractor, or with a manure fork/hammer/screwdriver in my hand (delete as appropriate).

I think the job description is open to quite a degree of interpretation.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough

many thanks that is great (your answer is great I mean rather than the system which is what it is)

Ben